Game Balls and Horns - Wk 16 vs Jints

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

spudbear
MVP

With both the Bears and Jints playing out the string, I may as well too. After the Bears scored on the opening drive to start the second half, eating up five and a half minutes, the game degenerated to running and occasional pass attempts. Eventually in the 4th qtr the Jints had to start passing, and Glennon showed why his salary has kept going down since his big Pace payday. For those who missed the broadcast, we got to hear more Nagy "apologetics" and what a great guy he is, how the players like him and if he could be the guy to groom Fields in the future. Ummm, naah. They also second guessed him about taking back the play-calling after giving it up and the end of last season. groan ... chuckle ... shake head

GAMEBALLS
- Glennon: made the Bears D look positively 85ish, though his OL is having even more problems than the Bears if you can believe it. LongNeck put together a quiet game: 4/11 ATT, 24 yards, 2 INT, 0.0 5.3 passer rating, 4 fumbles with 2 lost. Wonder if Fields was taking notes.

- Quinn: got the Bears record for most sacks in a season from Dent. It's a shame that he's stuck with a piss poor O. Looking forward to seeing him and Mack at full strength.

- Trevis Gipson: He's been learning from Quinn. Strip sack and FF. Will need to work on his edge contain in the offseason.

[HONORABLE MENTION: Monty was the leader on O, though his rushing total was not up to his usual level. Didn't get a gameball due to the INT.]

HORNS
- Whitehair: too many matador blocks, some costly penalties and inability to help poor Mustipher.

- Dalton: was not sharp though he had not played in awhile. Mostly dink and dunk, slow of foot and not finding the open receiver. I'd rather see Foles.

On to Mini-sota, where the Viqueens will probably be 7-9 after their game with the Pukers tonight particularly with Cousins out. At least Nagy won't get to hear it from the crowd ... maybe. Zimmer has his own hot seat to worry about. Maybe after the game the two lame duck coaches can meet on the field and quack it up.
Last edited by spudbear on Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Balls:
Soldier Fields for not playing in another game with Nagy as the HC.
Quinn because of the record.

Horns:
Nagy. I will always give him Horns. I do not like him and he should be fired after the game for calling the Wildcat play on 4th down where Monty threw the pick. Then laughing with Kmet about it.
The QBs who played. Dalton and Glennon were competing to see which QB sucked the most.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Definitely Quinn for game ball if not DPOY for the Bears. I don't know if last year stung him. And with Mack out and teams able to put extra guys on him.

Giants OC: horns. So they fired Jason Garrett and put up a game like this? I'd have to think there will be some rumblings in NY tonite.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Ball - any fan who showed up to see that shit show in the cold weather.

Horns - CBS for televising such a shit show.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Game Balls:
Robert Quinn for breaking Richard Dent's single-season franchise sack record and being so humble about it.
Trevis Gipson with 2 strip sacks. He now has 6.5 sacks, 3 FF, 1 FR and 2 PD on the season. That's promising.
Angelo Blackson with a sack and the safety.

The Bears defense for apparently setting an NFL record by holding the Giants to minus 10 passing yards.

Horns:
Andy Dalton for barely completing more than 50% of his passes and being fortunate not to throw multiple interceptions.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The bumslayers lived up to their title today. They beat a very bad football team. BFD.

Game Balls
-Monty
-NFL Schedule (only one game left)
-Defense showed up

Horns
- Personnel usage
-Play calling
-The whole Nagy regime, which is mercifully coming to an end
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 5:28 pm Game Balls:
Robert Quinn for breaking Richard Dent's single-season franchise sack record and being so humble about it.
Trevis Gipson with 2 strip sacks. He now has 6.5 sacks, 3 FF, 1 FR and 2 PD on the season. That's promising.
Angelo Blackson with a sack and the safety.

The Bears defense for apparently setting an NFL record by holding the Giants to minus 10 passing yards.

Horns:
Andy Dalton for barely completing more than 50% of his passes and being fortunate not to throw multiple interceptions.
To be fair, Mike Glennon deserves some of the credit. There are bad QB's, and then there's MIke Glennon.
docc
Head Coach

How does Glennon even look himself in a mirror...oh yeah bent over to get to his face level.
-10 yards. !! 0 rating..how does he have a job ?

Last edited by docc on Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Actually Glennon scraped a 5.3 rating. I thought it was zero, but was mistaken.
Artbest
Player of the Month

Game balls:

Quinn
Gipson
Blackson

Horns

Dalton - absolutely brutal
Robinson - lousy effort today - int looked to be his fault
Matt Nagy - for yet another sub par offensive performance
Ryan Pace - for gifting Mike Glennon $18M.
docc
Head Coach

Is it possible to have negative QB rating ?
GSH
MVP

Ball: Robert Quinn

Horn: That forward progress call that prevented eddy jackson recovering the fumble for a TD, that was horseshit
SgtPerry
Journeyman

GSH wrote: Sun Jan 02, 2022 8:14 pm Ball: Robert Quinn

Horn: That forward progress call that prevented eddy jackson recovering the fumble for a TD, that was horseshit
Absolutely, the subsequent safety call looked like a compensatory one for the Bears.
"Good thing you are a Bears fan. No offense to worry about."
UOK 10/26/2020
Z Bear
MVP

Feely botched the initial call on that too. No Jay the ball needs to come completely out, not just touch the line. Once they showed the opposite angle you could clearly see the ball had not crossed the line when the elbow touched.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Dalton was awful, if Fields played like that the naysayers would be loud about the weak sacks he took, late getting the ball out, and multiple should’ve been INTs. As a Dalton fan this surprised me, I expected better. Foles played better last week IMO.

Cheers to the entire D, especially DL who absolutely owned the LOS all day. All of them. Goldman, Hicks, Blackson, Nichols, Tonga, Quinn, and Gibson - well done! Roquan has almost 160 tackles now wondering what the Bears record is? Congrats to Quinn on the sack record. How does Mike Glennon keep getting chances?? Kaep never got another shot, Newton was unemployed most of the year, Glennon continues to get paid - WTF??

Huge Horn to Nagy for a classless move at the end of the game. Utterly classless, fuck him. Take a knee you dick!
dave99
Assistant Coach

Balls:
Trevis Gipson for getting 2 strip sacks.
Roquan Smith for another fine game that PFF will likely score poorly because they just don't like the way he looks a them.
Robert Quinn for interrupting Richard Dent's golf game.

Horns
The 2022 Ryan Pace quarterback derby.
Nagy for his Lifetime Underachievement award but also special mention for starting Peters over Jenkins.
The CBS announcers for showing up and talking.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:19 am Dalton was awful, if Fields played like that the naysayers would be loud about the weak sacks he took, late getting the ball out, and multiple should’ve been INTs. As a Dalton fan this surprised me, I expected better. Foles played better last week IMO.
I think Foles should have gotten the start especially due to his day against the Seahawks ... but, Nagy gonna Nagy
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
GSH
MVP

i mean its clear at this point that nagy and foles just straight up dont like each other, i wasnt at all surprised to see Dalton start
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 8:27 am Feely botched the initial call on that too. No Jay the ball needs to come completely out, not just touch the line. Once they showed the opposite angle you could clearly see the ball had not crossed the line when the elbow touched.
Good point
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 9:19 am Dalton was awful, if Fields played like that the naysayers would be loud about the weak sacks he took, late getting the ball out, and multiple should’ve been INTs. As a Dalton fan this surprised me, I expected better. Foles played better last week IMO.

Cheers to the entire D, especially DL who absolutely owned the LOS all day. All of them. Goldman, Hicks, Blackson, Nichols, Tonga, Quinn, and Gibson - well done! Roquan has almost 160 tackles now wondering what the Bears record is? Congrats to Quinn on the sack record. How does Mike Glennon keep getting chances?? Kaep never got another shot, Newton was unemployed most of the year, Glennon continues to get paid - WTF??

Huge Horn to Nagy for a classless move at the end of the game. Utterly classless, fuck him. Take a knee you dick!
I think thats overly tough on Dalton - who played "meh". Though agreed on Foles having outplayed him the week before - There is something to be said that the Defense won the game pretty clearly and early - so Dalton just needed to keep the car on the road - Which he did

Is that great? No. Even good? No. Awful? Strikes me as too harsh

Your mileage may differ
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

GSH wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:59 pm i mean its clear at this point that nagy and foles just straight up dont like each other, i wasnt at all surprised to see Dalton start
Well when you're caught on camera saying that his offense doesn't work...it tends to drive a bit of a wedge.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 8:59 am
GSH wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 10:59 pm i mean its clear at this point that nagy and foles just straight up dont like each other, i wasnt at all surprised to see Dalton start
Well when you're caught on camera saying that his offense doesn't work...it tends to drive a bit of a wedge.
Truth is a defense against slander, however.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: