Olin Speaks on LT

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Olin said that the Bears need to prioritize the LT position in free agency, locking up an established player to protect Fields. He'd play Jenkins at RT. If Daniels isn't re-signed, he'd play Borom there, making the Bears bigger inside. There are considered 2 premier FA LTs, Orlando Brown and Terron Armstead but the odds are their teams would franchise them if they can't reach an agreement, especially the Chiefs who gave up draft picks to acquire Brown. Talent falls off after that. Leno is available, Rueben Brown from Seattle (36 and injury prone) and several guys experienced at RT. Olin also says the Bears need to strike with a FA WR.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Z Bear
MVP

Olin also thinks Mustipher is a top 15 OC in the league right now. Borom has looked good so far at RT and Jenkins was drafted to be the LT moving forward. The tackle positions just needs a vet to be a swing tackle behind them. Hell, I would bring Peters back if he wants to earn a paycheck sitting on the bench next year and be done with it. The Bears do need to get bigger in the middle, I am letting Daniels walk and relegating Mustipher to the bench. I would be signing an elite center (if one is available) then using a 2nd or 3rd on a very large guard to beef up the line.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Duane Brown in Seattle:)

I'd love to bring Peters back in a mentor/bench/swing tackle role - I am not sure he wants to do that. He could have done that in Philly or elsewhere - but he waited til a team needed a Starter (not starter money) - He wanted to play.

I dont think the Bears will be able to get one of the big OT in FA - Jags have a ton of $$ - a need and no state income tax
IE
Hall of Famer

Olin to Joe Judge: "hold my beer"
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Olin has personal relationships with Mustipher and Daniels. It was only a couple of years ago that he was touting Daniels as a future Pro Bowl center, but now talks about how not all guys can be vocal and lead the line and is bigging up Mustipher. The fact is that Mustipher has had struggles all year. It's not every play by any means, but he gets driven back or beaten too often. His ceiling is as a backup. Daniels hasn't been as dominant as I'd hoped either, but in typical Chicago fashion he's been shunted around every year to different positions. I still think it was flat out stupid not to give him another shot at center, especially given Mustipher's lacklustre play.

So as much as I've always liked Olin and respect his knowledge and experience, I don't always agree with his opinions. I cannot for the life of me see why you would effectively give up on the possibility of long-term bookend tackles after one year and shift their positions. Let them play and develop at one spot for crying out loud. Nagy's not helping the situation of course, especially by not playing Jenkins over Peters even when the game was well in hand on Sunday. If the Bears bring in a big contract FA at LT then that's basically it for Jenkins playing there and as far as I'm concerned that would be a stupid move before you know what he can do.

There's also the small matter of a new head coach on the horizon and a new scheme. The first year should be all about seeing what the young guys on the roster can do in that scheme rather than splashing out on expensive vets. The one exception is WR where the cupboard is bare. That's where the big FA investment needs to be, not OT.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

I am hoping one of the Ohio State kids falls to our 2nd

Either the LT or Olave
wab
Mod

I have no idea what this OL will look like until I know who will be coaching them next season. I know some of them put on a decent amount of weight.

Jenkins - 310 to 324
Borom - 320 to 332
Ifedi - 326 to 345
Daniels - 310 to 327
Whitehair - 309 to 319
Bars - 312 to 334
Mustipher - 311 to 332

I don't know if it's all good weight or not. It'll be interesting to see how the ones that return look next season.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Good post WAB
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

well, whether you agree with everything he said or not, Olin made a good point about needing to make the offensive line a priority ... and getting a solid anchor at LT would be a very good start in that direction

the development of Fields going forward is directly linked to the protection around him so yes, the Bears do need to put more emphasis on that protection
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Olin says a lot of things.
wulfy
MVP

Burl wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:03 pm Olin says a lot of things.
Just ask Fred Miller.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:08 pm
Burl wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:03 pm Olin says a lot of things.
Just ask Fred Miller.
:lol:

I value Olin's thoughts about technique and scheme stuff obviously. But he's wrong on the team building approach here. He's stuck in the Blind Side approach to line building, with apparently zero consideration of the market.

If Armstead and Brown don't hit the open market its very likely the next best LT on the market is... Charles Leno Jr. Not exactly changing things up here. And if Brown were to hit the market, the financial commitment is going to be massive, and if the pocket is still being collapsed from the C spot, I really don't care how much of a lockdown that one spot is.

For as much as the Bears OLine has gotten heat, outside of the Cleveland and probably Bucs game, they've not been bad. And Fields lack of experience certainly added to those performances. We've already seen good progress from him. And simple O coaching scheme can cover a lot.

They need to fix the center spot which they can do much cheaper than LT and prioritize getting Fields weapons to get the ball too. If Jenkins and/or Borom don't progress as expected, reevaluate in 2023.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Good post. The sacks issue has evolved for sure. The Cleveland game was just abysmal OL play, sack happening immediately with little resistance. But lately, I’ve seen more coverage sacks. Whether that be Fields, Foles, or Dalton. When guys aren’t getting open, that happens. And no one ever seems open in 4 years of Nagy offense - I watch other teams games and am just amazed at how many quick easy open throws they have.

And all year the run blocking has been pretty good.

JMO, but I’d keep Jenkins and Borom at T and I don’t care which side they play. I’d let Daniels leave, sign a C and draft a G. Mustipher moves to a backup role where he’d be solid cheap depth, Bars also.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:19 pm Good post. The sacks issue has evolved for sure. The Cleveland game was just abysmal OL play, sack happening immediately with little resistance. But lately, I’ve seen more coverage sacks. Whether that be Fields, Foles, or Dalton. When guys aren’t getting open, that happens. And no one ever seems open in 4 years of Nagy offense - I watch other teams games and am just amazed at how many quick easy open throws they have.

JMO, but I’d keep Jenkins and Borom at T and I don’t care which side they play. I’d let Daniels leave, sign a C and draft a G. Mustipher moves to a backup role where he’d be solid cheap depth, Bars also.
Agreed, I'm not tied to either side for those two. I'd like Daniels back, but it really comes down to cost. I'm not tied to Whitehair staying, but depends on how Daniels and the G/C market shakes out. While I'd like a draft pick not sure I want to count on finding a starter based on where there selections are.

Question for Mustipher is if he has versatility to backup the G spots. If he's a Center only backup that's really like a 9th/10th OL at best, so fringey to keep on the 53 man.
wab
Mod

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:32 pm
dplank wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:19 pm Good post. The sacks issue has evolved for sure. The Cleveland game was just abysmal OL play, sack happening immediately with little resistance. But lately, I’ve seen more coverage sacks. Whether that be Fields, Foles, or Dalton. When guys aren’t getting open, that happens. And no one ever seems open in 4 years of Nagy offense - I watch other teams games and am just amazed at how many quick easy open throws they have.

Agreed, I'm not tied to either side for those two. I'd like Daniels back, but it really comes down to cost. I'm not tied to Whitehair staying, but depends on how Daniels and the G/C market shakes out. While I'd like a draft pick not sure I want to count on finding a starter based on where there selections are.

Question for Mustipher is if he has versatility to backup the G spots. If he's a Center only backup that's really like a 9th/10th OL at best, so fringey to keep on the 53 man.
Mustipher has never played OG. Not to say he couldn't I guess, but he's pretty much strictly a center.
wab
Mod

If this is the case, Daniels can go and the Bears can just take the comp pick...

https://heavy.com/sports/chicago-bears/ ... ee-agency/
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:57 pm If this is the case, Daniels can go and the Bears can just take the comp pick...

That sounds like a lot, but that could be a cheap deal in a few years. As long as they get the upside of years 3-5 when it probably becomes a discount I don't hate that as a deal.
Z Bear
MVP

No way I am paying Daniels $10M a year. Let him walk and draft someone on in the 2nd or 3rd round.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Because he has shown he is a master at drafting OL.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:40 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:32 pm

Mustipher has never played OG. Not to say he couldn't I guess, but he's pretty much strictly a center.
Yeah, he can play there in a pinch.
But he'll never be your first backup choice at G. And, ideally, he wouldn't be your 2nd, either.
Which does detract from his backup value.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 1:57 pm If this is the case, Daniels can go and the Bears can just take the comp pick...

I've been saying for a long time he's liable to get a big offer that makes you not want to match.

He is young and solid. But 10M/yr for an unspectacular G is hard to swallow. I can't think of any structure where that's going to feel ok - outside of a heavily backloaded, where'd you cut him partway through, and then you don't get the comp pick.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
IE
Hall of Famer

If Mustipher can't play starting C he kind of needs to go because he lacks versatility. I'm probably in favor of giving him another year and trying to keep Daniels if he can be extended reasonably. Basically I think the entire line with the rookies at OT is worth bringing back & backing up with journeymen vets. Especially with a new offense, where they may play better.

If there's a Trent Williams out there - by all means. But the idea of bringing back a Leno or even an average available LT? No thanks I want the kid there instead.

I think with limited resources this offseason there are some other priorities (WR especially) on offense and a defense to get younger and retooi.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Guard is one of those positions in which later round guys are commonly found. For $10M a year, the Bears need to take this route, find a road grader. They'd benefit from some competition at center also, I'm not sold on Mustipher.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IE
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 3:51 pm Guard is one of those positions in which later round guys are commonly found. For $10M a year, the Bears need to take this route, find a road grader. They'd benefit from some competition at center also, I'm not sold on Mustipher.
I think most are sold that Mustipher doesn't cut it. My position is "is he serviceable enough for one more year?" because of the limited resources and the promise of having a "smart guy" at C with a new offense being introduced, rather than a potential experiment - even if the guy has deficiencies on pass protection. I'm going to guess if you'd ask JF1 he'd say keep Mustipher and invest in receivers. I guess if Daniels would cost too much then let him go, draft a guy and start Bars at RG.

It may be strange to acknowledge the line struggled this year and say stay the course. But the bookend young guys weren't out there most of the year. And with a rotation of QBs with different styles AND a horrible offense that one of the QBs admitted they knew wouldn't succeed the moment the play was called... I'm more worried about potentially losing an otherwise good player based on circumstances.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 11:03 am Olin has personal relationships with Mustipher and Daniels. It was only a couple of years ago that he was touting Daniels as a future Pro Bowl center, but now talks about how not all guys can be vocal and lead the line and is bigging up Mustipher. The fact is that Mustipher has had struggles all year. It's not every play by any means, but he gets driven back or beaten too often. His ceiling is as a backup. Daniels hasn't been as dominant as I'd hoped either, but in typical Chicago fashion he's been shunted around every year to different positions. I still think it was flat out stupid not to give him another shot at center, especially given Mustipher's lacklustre play.

So as much as I've always liked Olin and respect his knowledge and experience, I don't always agree with his opinions. I cannot for the life of me see why you would effectively give up on the possibility of long-term bookend tackles after one year and shift their positions. Let them play and develop at one spot for crying out loud. Nagy's not helping the situation of course, especially by not playing Jenkins over Peters even when the game was well in hand on Sunday. If the Bears bring in a big contract FA at LT then that's basically it for Jenkins playing there and as far as I'm concerned that would be a stupid move before you know what he can do.

There's also the small matter of a new head coach on the horizon and a new scheme. The first year should be all about seeing what the young guys on the roster can do in that scheme rather than splashing out on expensive vets. The one exception is WR where the cupboard is bare. That's where the big FA investment needs to be, not OT.
When I've heard Olin talk about those guys, at least he has always come out and admitted that.

I too think he's wrong on making a splash at LT. WAY too costly to do that and you have to see what you have in the two rookies who have shown some promise (granted Jenkins hasn't shown near enough IMO but you have to give him a shot) and we just have so many needs next year and not much money. I think we can afford one "splash FA" and I'm hoping it's a WR.
wab
Mod

Daniels is still only 23, but based on what he's done, is he REALLY that much better than what we have seen with a limited sample size in Bars? Like 9 million dollars a year better?

As far as Mustipher goes...he's not good, but he has started 24 games in a row dating back to last season (including the final week of this season). So I think that almost guarantees him another crack at the job. They definitely need to bring in someone to compete with him - be it a rookie or a vet.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:44 pm Daniels is still only 23, but based on what he's done, is he REALLY that much better than what we have seen with a limited sample size in Bars? Like 9 million dollars a year better?

As far as Mustipher goes...he's not good, but he has started 24 games in a row dating back to last season (including the final week of this season). So I think that almost guarantees him another crack at the job. They definitely need to bring in someone to compete with him - be it a rookie or a vet.
No he isn't

Guard is also just about the easiest thing in the world to find.

They just need to be smart about the Compensatory pick game
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 10:09 am Olin also thinks Mustipher is a top 15 OC in the league right now. Borom has looked good so far at RT and Jenkins was drafted to be the LT moving forward. The tackle positions just needs a vet to be a swing tackle behind them. Hell, I would bring Peters back if he wants to earn a paycheck sitting on the bench next year and be done with it. The Bears do need to get bigger in the middle, I am letting Daniels walk and relegating Mustipher to the bench. I would be signing an elite center (if one is available) then using a 2nd or 3rd on a very large guard to beef up the line.
From what I saw of Jenkins at LT, he's the goods. But what the hell do I know. He had a great first step, kept his weight under him, and didn't reach. Great feet too.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:44 pm Daniels is still only 23, but based on what he's done, is he REALLY that much better than what we have seen with a limited sample size in Bars? Like 9 million dollars a year better?
I honestly think that Bars is seriously undervalued by this current regime.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:35 pm
I honestly think that Bars is seriously undervalued by this current regime.
Agreed. For whatever reason Nagy never wanted to start him, or give him a shot at RG/RT. When pressed into service, he was certainly better than Ifedi.