7%
Doug Pederson
15%
Other (specify in comments)
19%

Total votes: 27
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:02 pm Want? Harbaugh.
Get? Pedersen.
This is a broken man posting
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:54 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 4:01 pm

When was the last time the McCaskey’s succeeded in paying the top tier coaching candidate?
I'd say the staff of Fox/Gase/Fangio was pretty top tier at the time. Outside of that, when was the last time there was a clear cut top coaching candidate (when the Bears had an opening) and not just a bunch of guesses?

Saban? They were prepared to pay him. They weren't prepared to give him the control he wanted.

Arians? Again, they were prepared to pay him. They had some philosophical differences.

You can say they didn't get the top guy in those two situations (although it worked out not getting Saban). But it wasn't because of money.
John Fox right when the game passed him by.
wab
Mod

I would eventually be ok with McDaniels if he was hired. I'd be enticed by the potential, but still worried about his ability to lead a team.
IE
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 12:20 pm Eberflus:
Player (1988-1991)
Linebacker
Toledo (1992)
Student assistant coach
Toledo (1993)
Graduate assistant
Toledo (1994–1995)
Recruiting coordinator & Outside linebackers coach
Toledo (1996–1998)
Outside linebackers coach
Toledo (1999–2000)
Defensive backs coach
Missouri (2001–2008)
Defensive coordinator
Cleveland Browns (2009–2010)
Linebackers coach
Dallas Cowboys (2011–2015)
Linebackers coach
Dallas Cowboys (2016–2017)
Linebackers coach & passing game coordinator
Indianapolis Colts (2018–present)
Defensive coordinator

Which one of these is not like the others?
Which one of these just doesn't belong?

Linebackers coach and passing game coordinator ... that provides insight. Simliar to what I pointed out about Patrick Graham, Eberflus has experience on both sides of the ball. Graham was the running game coordinator for the Packers, and a TE position coach in addition to all the defensive positions.

To me it indicates potential HC material to have been thought of in that way by strong organizations (Pack, Cowboys).
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Jan 04, 2022 9:04 pm I voted for Bowles. I think they will bring a defensive minded coach back in and look for them to hire a talented OC to work with Fields. I think Bowles has a great reputation, and his stint at the Jets will not tarnish his resume. Their dumpster fire makes ours look like a burnt piece of wadded up newspaper. I don't think Harbaugh comes to the Bears, if he comes to the NFL. Davis will back the truck up for him in Vegas, and sign him to a ridiculous contract. I also don't think Day is leaving OSU. I can't think of anyone else I would really want. I think it's kind of funny how fast the shine came off of Daboll. He went from offensive guru to persona non grata in about three weeks.
If Pace is hiring the HC I think he will want a youngish person, like himself. Fox and Pace didn't make a very good pair and part of that, I think, was the age difference.

Considering the age differential factor, Bowles is too old for Pace. He's not the only worthy candidate whom I would disqualify because I think the job requires a younger, healthier and more active person.

I know that successful older coaches are not uncommon in the league, However I believe If you are getting near or beyond 60, this particular HC job is not for you, IMHO.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
wulfy
MVP

Wasn't Bowles dad Nagy's HS coach or something like that? Everyone thought he was the shoo-in replacement for Fangio because of that.