Free Agent WRs

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

11 teams signed free agent WRs for '21 which resulted in average salaries larger than $5M per year. Of the 11, none have cracked the 1000 yard mark, with the closest almost 200 yards short even with adding an extra game. WR is a tough position to play, not like the street ball we played as kids (go to the Mustang and button hook). Guys have good/great years after working with their QBs and being in a specific scheme. They lose that when they go to a new team; sometimes they recapture it and often not. I'm not saying the Bears shouldn't explore WR options in free agency in '22 but don't break the bank on the top guys unless cash and cap space is just burning a hole in the organization's pockets.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:54 am 11 teams signed free agent WRs for '21 which resulted in average salaries larger than $5M per year. Of the 11, none have cracked the 1000 yard mark, with the closest almost 200 yards short even with adding an extra game. WR is a tough position to play, not like the street ball we played as kids (go to the Mustang and button hook). Guys have good/great years after working with their QBs and being in a specific scheme. They lose that when they go to a new team; sometimes they recapture it and often not. I'm not saying the Bears shouldn't explore WR options in free agency in '22 but don't break the bank on the top guys unless cash and cap space is just burning a hole in the organization's pockets.
The Bears have 1 WR under contract going into next year and only 5 draft picks. They literally have no choice but to sign WR’s in free agency. And Mooney is a nice player but not a #1.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:00 am
Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:54 am 11 teams signed free agent WRs for '21 which resulted in average salaries larger than $5M per year. Of the 11, none have cracked the 1000 yard mark, with the closest almost 200 yards short even with adding an extra game. WR is a tough position to play, not like the street ball we played as kids (go to the Mustang and button hook). Guys have good/great years after working with their QBs and being in a specific scheme. They lose that when they go to a new team; sometimes they recapture it and often not. I'm not saying the Bears shouldn't explore WR options in free agency in '22 but don't break the bank on the top guys unless cash and cap space is just burning a hole in the organization's pockets.
The Bears have 1 WR under contract going into next year and only 5 draft picks. They literally have no choice but to sign WR’s in free agency. And Mooney is a nice player but not a #1.
Depressingly true. They're going to have to sign several although I won't be surprised if they don't take at least 1 in the draft.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:03 am
TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:00 am

Depressingly true. They're going to have to sign several although I won't be surprised if they don't take at least 1 in the draft.
Yep, and I think Godwin and Gallup getting hurt late in the season is probably going to make the market worse too.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

If you have an elite QB, which I believe Fields can become with the right HC, you don’t need a big contract at WR.

That QB is going to make even average guys better by putting the ball where it can be caught.

Then there’s also having a scheme that works which we don’t have.

Spend the money on the OL. All of a sudden the whole offense gets better.

For me this off-season the priority should be upgrading the OL.
wab
Mod

I think getting WRs that fit the system and can get open consistently are easier to find than the homerun hitting "elite" guys (which are pretty few and far between these days).

Mooney is the #1 WR on this team for better or worse until he isn't.

Mooney will be back obviously. I think - assuming he is retained - Pace will try to bring back Grant since he gave up a pick for him. Newsome will still be there. Coulter is interesting. Then pick up a FA and draft someone like Jameson Williams or David Bell at the top of R2 nd the WR room is full again.

IMO today's offenses are more about being a cohesive unit that works well together and executes more than individual talent at skill positions.
Z Bear
MVP

There is literally one elite WR that is a potential free agent, Devante Adams. I really do not see how the Pack can retain them without getting rid of Rodgers, but then Devante probably will not want to go back. Someone like him on the outside draws the entire secondary's eyes at the snap and can open up lanes for everyone else. The Bears do have the money to go after him and it is the team's biggest need. On top of that it would be a kick in the nuts to the Pack, so I am all in on him if he makes it to market.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:15 am If you have an elite QB, which I believe Fields can become with the right HC, you don’t need a big contract at WR.

That QB is going to make even average guys better by putting the ball where it can be caught.

Then there’s also having a scheme that works which we don’t have.

Spend the money on the OL. All of a sudden the whole offense gets better.

For me this off-season the priority should be upgrading the OL.
I think it’s a mistake to expect a second year QB that didn’t immediately dominate and that will have to learn a new offense to elevate the players around him.

That was the mentality Jerry Angelo had about Cutler when Devin Hester was converted into the number one receiver. It didn’t work then and an offense with Mooney as the number one receiver won’t be impressive either.

The offensive line definitely needs to be addressed (they have no center under contract for next year and the guard play has not been good) but Fields needs weapons to throw to.

What the Bears actually need considering the numerous holes and lack of draft picks is to hire someone competent at evaluating talent on both sides of the ball to make smart picks and value signings across the board.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:44 am There is literally one elite WR that is a potential free agent, Devante Adams. I really do not see how the Pack can retain them without getting rid of Rodgers, but then Devante probably will not want to go back. Someone like him on the outside draws the entire secondary's eyes at the snap and can open up lanes for everyone else. The Bears do have the money to go after him and it is the team's biggest need. On top of that it would be a kick in the nuts to the Pack, so I am all in on him if he makes it to market.
If you're Devante Adams, why would you want to go to a team with...
1. A brand new coach
2. A brand new offense
3. A young QB who showed flashes, but had more TOs than TDs
4. An aging, declining defense with a new coach

Why wouldn't you want to go to a playoff team with a polished QB?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Bears have neither the draft capital or the cap space to bring in top tier players at all the positions they will need to fill... and that's common. This is a team in transition, not one that is just a few pieces away, with a new HC coming in. Next year should be all about evaluating what they have and making sensible decisions in free agency i.e. trying to find a number of value for money signings rather than one or two high-priced guys. That includes WR. The worst thing the team could do is reach and overpay players and the WR market is not looking good. The focus needs to be on laying a foundation ready for a push in 2023 onwards.
wab
Mod

Mikefive wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:19 pm
Z Bear wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 11:44 am There is literally one elite WR that is a potential free agent, Devante Adams. I really do not see how the Pack can retain them without getting rid of Rodgers, but then Devante probably will not want to go back. Someone like him on the outside draws the entire secondary's eyes at the snap and can open up lanes for everyone else. The Bears do have the money to go after him and it is the team's biggest need. On top of that it would be a kick in the nuts to the Pack, so I am all in on him if he makes it to market.
If you're Devante Adams, why would you want to go to a team with...
1. A brand new coach
2. A brand new offense

Agreed. Unless the Bears ridiculously overpay (which people will have a fit over), there's little chance Adams chooses the Bears over a team like the Chiefs (who will need a WR pretty badly) or the Colts.
Z Bear
MVP

Mikefive wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:19 pm If you're Devante Adams, why would you want to go to a team with...
1. A brand new coach
2. A brand new offense

Devante Adams has nothing to prove on the field, this is his chance at a massive contract. All it takes is $$$$$$$$$$$$$ to bring him in, which the Bears have room to do so.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

The Pats signed some bigger dollar guys, Agholor and Henry (TE) and they haven't set the world on fire. The guy they signed for the least $$ is putting up the best numbers. So don't break the bank on Mike Williams from the Chargers and Adams. Gallup and Godwin, having been injured so late in the season, might not be able to play until halfway or late '22 so the money will have to reflect this. I guess a team can sign one and put him on IR status.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I hear Antonio brown is a free agent.
spudbear
MVP

I realize he's a slow Caucasion type of guy, but doggone it how about Jesper in the slot? I would not split him wide but he could own the middle of the field as well as be a safety outlet dancing on the sidelines. He'd be the only receiver with size (6'4") so Fields can have a chance to throw it high, otherwise there's a bunch of midgets for the WR corps.
I tried to find his 40 yd splits but I don't think he ever got recorded on a pro day, or if he did the stats were never released.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:44 pm I hear Antonio brown is a free agent.
:D
spudbear wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:08 pm I realize he's a slow Caucasion type of guy, but doggone it how about Jesper in the slot? I would not split him wide but he could own the middle of the field as well as be a safety outlet dancing on the sidelines. He'd be the only receiver with size (6'4") so Fields can have a chance to throw it high, otherwise there's a bunch of midgets for the WR corps.
I tried to find his 40 yd splits but I don't think he ever got recorded on a pro day, or if he did the stats were never released.
ran 4.77 once, pulled left hamstring, ended workout

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 2:22 pm The Bears have neither the draft capital or the cap space to bring in top tier players at all the positions they will need to fill... and that's common. This is a team in transition, not one that is just a few pieces away, with a new HC coming in. Next year should be all about evaluating what they have and making sensible decisions in free agency i.e. trying to find a number of value for money signings rather than one or two high-priced guys. That includes WR. The worst thing the team could do is reach and overpay players and the WR market is not looking good. The focus needs to be on laying a foundation ready for a push in 2023 onwards.
amen

It should and probably will be another year of bargain bin WRs, like Goodwin & Byrd.
Last edited by Moriarty on Thu Jan 06, 2022 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I would rather they trade down multiple times and draft 6 = 4th and 5th round WR's in the hope 2 hit vs pay guys.

What did paying Robinson really get them?

What did paying B Marsh get them?

What team wins the Superbowl bringing in high priced FA Wr's.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I think Ju-Ju Smith Schuster could be a #1. He will be a FA and was an outstanding WR when the Steelers had a good QB.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Yea the injuries to Gallup and Godwin really made it a tough WR market.

They're gonna have to spend something, but expectations should probably be low that they'll find a true difference maker. Hopefully a good rookie will drop in the 2nd or 3rd round, but I don't think they can count on it.

Resign Grant as a slot/gadget WR and PR. Maybe $3M? Maybe up to $7M for a number 2 guy? Not sure what that would get you. Probably doesn't get you a proven number 2, but maybe a young guy with upside? All these guys are pretty young at 27, 26. On a 3 year deal, maybe you get some upside out of prime years for a projectable guy who maybe hasn't fully put it together for whatever reason.

Cedric Wilson Jr. DAL. Has been blocked a little behind a talent WR corps. But has picked up a few starts this year and flashed a little with 40 Rec, 482 yards, and a 72% catch rate. Big target at 6'3"

Braxton Berrios NYJ. Small at 5'9" but has managed to pick up 46 receptions this year and 37 last. PFF has given him good grades the past 2 years. Obviously hasn't had tons of help with Darnold and then a rookie Wilson most of this year.

Russell Gage. ATL. Picked up 8 starts each of the last two years. 72 and 57 receptions at about 11 yd/rec.

None of these guys are the burners like Byrd/Goodwin were supposed to be. But all that speed hasn't created much separation this year. At the minimum salary and a 4/5 type I'd bring one back. Slot in Newsome as a 6th WR and see if he sticks.

Since it might not be a great market for a proven #2/#1 it is luckily a deep TE market too. Guys like Njoku and Engram are really young and talented U TE, but haven't totally put it all together consistently, but could be weapons and complement Kmet who is okay as a dual TE, but not dynamic as a target. Gesicki prob won't hit market but would be amazing.

Both at WR/TE you have some older vets who you could try to squeeze some life out of, but I think I'd try for the younger upside plays.

WR: Mooney, Wilson, Grant, Byrd, Newsome Then hopefully draft someone, like Bell, in the second
TE: Kmet, Engram, Horsted

There's at least some upside play there. And certainly doesn't break the bank (since theres really only 1 WR worth breaking the bank for).
Because I think ARobs time is done and I'm not banking on a Adams dream. Unless you wanna just go for Godwin/Gallup but know they probably start the year on PUP ans don't get back until at least week 6, but could miss the whole year.
EricTighe
MVP

the two I like right now are
Mike Williams from the chargers has gotten better every year.
Christian Kirk for the slot see above.
dplank
Hall of Famer

We need to see who our next coach / OC is before we can really identify the necessary talent, especially TE. We may very well have it covered with Kmet, Horsted, James, Holtz. WR not so much, we simply need talent there, guys who can get open. We must draft one either R2/3 IMO, and we have to sign a FA as well. Personally, I'd spend on Godwin as we might get a discount due to his injury.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

So we have Mooney and Newsome under contract. I think we keep Grant and maybe Byrd.

I'd like to see us do the same thing we did with Robinson with Gallup. A shorter contract for reasonable money that lets him build back up his value and still have a shot at huge money (a three year deal makes him a FA at age 28).

We then spend a second or third round pick on a WR and the WR room is done other than guys we sign for training camp.

The homer in me wants to see Treylon Burks slip to our pick in the second round, but I also like Mtchie and David Bell at that spot.
Z Bear
MVP

Mooney is the only one currently under contract; Dazz Newsome, Rodney Adams, and Isiah Coulture will all be signed to futures contracts since they were on the practice squad. That is an absolutely horrible WR room and they need to add a top free agent, a low free agent, and a draft pick or two to the group.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:26 am We need to see who our next coach / OC is before we can really identify the necessary talent, especially TE. We may very well have it covered with Kmet, Horsted, James, Holtz. WR not so much, we simply need talent there, guys who can get open. We must draft one either R2/3 IMO, and we have to sign a FA as well. Personally, I'd spend on Godwin as we might get a discount due to his injury.
Honestly I'm just trying to read the market. I think the WR market now has some issues that will make it a fraught environment. The TE group still projects as one of the deepest position markets.

If it was the opposite I'd be more or less fine rolling out the TE group, but mostly just wanna get weapons for Fields. If that means more 12 personnel that's on the OC to manage.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:54 am That is an absolutely horrible WR room and they need to add a top free agent, a low free agent, and a draft pick or two to the group.
Agreed, but I don't believe they need to add a top free agent this year. There are not a lot of options out there; it can wait until 2023. The team can concentrate on laying the foundation for the new HC this year, getting value for money at any of their positions of need. They can then add a splash signing or two in subsequent seasons when they need to be looking to compete for a championship.
Z Bear
MVP

I think it would be a massive mistake to go into 2022 with Mooney as your top WR. Highly doubtful that you will find a WR better than him in the 2nd round of the draft. One of Devante Adams, Chris Godwin, Michael Gallup, or Mike Williams needs to be on the Bears next year if they want to provide weapons for Fields. The offense is pretty much set at QB and RB, Kmet is going to be your top TE as it will only be year 3 and I doubt they will put big money into the position, so you really need to add a good WR if you want a competent offense next year.
wab
Mod

I think Mooney is undervalued by fans and is the top WR whether we like it or not. But I'm going to defer to the next coach to evaluate his position on the depth chart.

Mooney
Newsome
Grant
Byrd
2nd or 3rd round Rookie
Moderately priced #2 WR in FA

I think that's how it'll shake out.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:04 pm I think it would be a massive mistake to go into 2022 with Mooney as your top WR. Highly doubtful that you will find a WR better than him in the 2nd round of the draft. One of Devante Adams, Chris Godwin, Michael Gallup, or Mike Williams needs to be on the Bears next year if they want to provide weapons for Fields. The offense is pretty much set at QB and RB, Kmet is going to be your top TE as it will only be year 3 and I doubt they will put big money into the position, so you really need to add a good WR if you want a competent offense next year.
We have no idea when 2 of those guys will be recovered form injury. I don't think Adams is happening and I feel like with the market weakened now whoever signs Williams will regret it, based on what it will cost.

It's definitely a tough spot. Like I've said though TE market is much deeper. If they can get an inventive OC, a weapon is a weapon and they're well positioned to be a run based team if need be too.

Obviously they still need bodies at WR, but I think they may be better served going for less proven, but project able. I'm really liking my Cedrick Wilson idea. When he's gotten run it looks like he's produced. He's just stuck behind tons of talent in Dallas. Still fairly young. Get him on a 3 year upside deal.

Then at TE, someone is gonna drop who gets overlooked since it's a deep class. Be opportunistic and get Fields a weapon and the OC will run 12 and 21 personnel to fit his weapons.
wab
Mod

Calvin Ridley could be a cheap-ish guy given where his head is at. Don't know if he wants to keep playing football though.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:34 pm Calvin Ridley could be a cheap-ish guy given where his head is at. Don't know if he wants to keep playing football though.
I don't think the trade comp will be that cheap. It's intriguing, but if you're talking a day 2 draft pick and then needing a big extension... I just don't know as badly as I want to get weapons for Fields.