Jim Harbaugh to return to MI

For all non-Bears happenings in the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Burl
Crafty Veteran

Nobody really knows what, if anything, conversation, motives or otherwise to put on the Harbaugh situation.
My read is that he's probably not going anywhere, but George assured us that money is no issue, and if every man has a price, then there's always a chance, however unlikely.

I can understand if they reached out and he's just not having it. I have a bigger problem if they never tried.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Burl wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:11 pm Nobody really knows what, if anything, conversation, motives or otherwise to put on the Harbaugh situation.
My read is that he's probably not going anywhere, but George assured us that money is no issue, and if every man has a price, then there's always a chance, however unlikely.

I can understand if they reached out and he's just not having it. I have a bigger problem if they never tried.
I hope you can be consoled that perhaps, somehow, through back channels, some word about that may have been passed - that is the best you can hope for about that.

Sorry, Burl.
IotaNet
MVP

Burl wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 6:11 pmI can understand if they reached out and he's just not having it. I have a bigger problem if they never tried.
They’ve reached out to everyone ELSE … I’d have a hard time believing they didn’t send feelers to Harbaugh.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

This one made me laugh... With no confirmation on either side, we can all still hope this is how it goes... Some decent PS skills for sure.

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
UOK
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:46 pm
Personally I think Carr is a crappy QB, and is terribly inconsistent. Additionally Mark Davis is the real life embodiment of Lloyd Christmas. Oh, and their star WR is facing 25 to life. Not sure why that is an attractive job.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:49 pm Personally I think Carr is a crappy QB, and is terribly inconsistent. Additionally Mark Davis is the real life embodiment of Lloyd Christmas. Not sure why that is an attractive job.
You live in Las Vegas, cash big checks, and if it doesn't work in four years you walk away a very rich man.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
UOK
Site Admin

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Makes sense if Raiders are serious about hiring Harbaugh and he demands GM control and/or wants to hand pick a GM.
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:51 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:49 pm Personally I think Carr is a crappy QB, and is terribly inconsistent. Additionally Mark Davis is the real life embodiment of Lloyd Christmas. Not sure why that is an attractive job.
You live in Las Vegas, cash big checks, and if it doesn't work in four years you walk away a very rich man.
But Harbaugh could simply sit at Michigan for years and walk away a very rich man.

I think an NFL job only interests him if there is a realistic chance of delivering an SB in 3-4 years.

Not at the Raiders, possibly the Bears.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:15 pm
thunderspirit wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 7:51 pm

But Harbaugh could simply sit at Michigan for years and walk away a very rich man.

I think an NFL job only interests him if there is a realistic chance of delivering an SB in 3-4 years.

Not at the Raiders, possibly the Bears.
That's the thing about these college coaches.

Most of them don't even need to be great to get paid and to be adored on campus for life.

Depending on the school, you just need to be average. Then you sign a mega deal and walk around that whole area like a king.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Uber competitive people aren’t really wired that way though.
IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:54 am Uber competitive people aren’t really wired that way though.
Very true.

It is possible the Raiders launched the GM to make themselves more attractive to Harbaugh (like the Bears). There has really got to be 100% certainty that back-channel discussions were had with Harbaugh or his representatives (with Polian, perhaps). Nobody is going to leak that on either side - at least not at this point.

One thing about Harbaugh is not only is he competitive but he's genuinely sentimental. In jumping leagues/levels and going to Michigan, he went home to bring glory back to his former place. That bodes very well for Chicago if he is considering jumping again.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
bbaker
Journeyman

But the Raiders gave him his start coaching, and he still has a close relationship with Mark Davis. That might prove to be more sentimental to him than his time as a player with the Bears.

On top of that, the Raiders are a better team, closer to competing for a title than the Bears are.
wulfy
MVP

I've never felt that Harbaugh had a soft spot for the Chicago organization, he was basically run out of town after the 1993 season.
IotaNet
MVP

wulfy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:24 am I've never felt that Harbaugh had a soft spot for the Chicago organization, he was basically run out of town after the 1993 season.
Thats what I thought as well. Didn’t he and Ditka have a rocky relationship?
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

IotaNet wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:50 am
wulfy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:24 am I've never felt that Harbaugh had a soft spot for the Chicago organization, he was basically run out of town after the 1993 season.
Thats what I thought as well. Didn’t he and Ditka have a rocky relationship?
Its not exactly the best of sources but there was this several years ago

https://thespun.com/big-ten/michigan-wo ... cago-bears

“The Rams want a dynamic guy and they know in Los Angeles it’s all about entertainment,” Trotter said on SportsCenter. “Jim Harbaugh, from what I understand, the Rams is not a job he is looking at. If he were to come back to the NFL, from what I’ve been told, is that his dream job would be in Chicago where he started his playing career under Mike Ditka.

“People are going to take that as me saying he’s looking to leave Michigan, but I’m not saying that at all. If you know Jim Harbaugh the competitor, you’d know he has unfinished business with Ohio State having not beaten Urban Meyer yet. But from what I’ve been told, Chicago would be his NFL dream job.”
IE
Hall of Famer

Ditka was Ditka - and his halo basically burned off a long time ago. I can't see Ditka being a reason Harbaugh would not want Chicago. If anything, a competitive guy like Harbaugh would want to come in and exceed Ditka's performance. I personally think where a guy started playing as a starting QB is more powerful emotionally than where he started out as a low-level coach.

I agree the Raiders have some more talent at skill positions right now. But I don't think they're a dramatically better team. The Bears beat them with a green rookie QB and green rookie RB - and I was there to watch it.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

If anything, there is a connection to Davis. Never heard of any connection Harbaugh had with George.

Connections aside, never heard of him chasing the Indy job. He had some success there.
IotaNet
MVP

IE wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:39 pm Ditka was Ditka - and his halo basically burned off a long time ago. I can't see Ditka being a reason Harbaugh would not want Chicago. If anything, a competitive guy like Harbaugh would want to come in and exceed Ditka's performance. I personally think where a guy started playing as a starting QB is more powerful emotionally than where he started out as a low-level coach.
I probably didn't articulate it the right way.

It's not about Harbaugh not wanting to come here because of Ditka.

I just never got the notion that Harbaugh had any major "Warm & Fuzzies" about Chicago. IIRC, he had the majority of his BIG QB success in Indy --"Captain Comeback" and all of that.

- Colin Powell
Burl
Crafty Veteran

George is going to make it happen.
When has he ever let us down?
wulfy
MVP

Burl wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:42 pm George is going to make it happen.
When has he ever let us down?
(awkward silence)
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Supposedly he contacted the Jets and Chargers last year when they hsd coaching vacancies. Also he supposedly has been upfront with potential recruits about interest in the NFL. He's the 8th highest paid football coach in the Big 10 and is supposedly in talks for a new contract. C'mon. George, call him and offer $50M for 5 years
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I don't think $10 mil a year will get it for him. Mel Tucker is at $9.5/yr.

In his case, would not be surprised if leaks were not out there to increase his salary at U of M. I have not seen any comments but one (telling recruit he is taking calls from NFL teams or something to that affect) so I am cautious. Then him hiring a DL coach away from ND. To me, that says quite a bit.
Artbest
Player of the Month

from what I understand, his "soft spot" is for the Raiders and Mark Davis.

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Otis Day wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:13 pm I don't think $10 mil a year will get it for him. Mel Tucker is at $9.5/yr.

In his case, would not be surprised if leaks were not out there to increase his salary at U of M. I have not seen any comments but one (telling recruit he is taking calls from NFL teams or something to that affect) so I am cautious. Then him hiring a DL coach away from ND. To me, that says quite a bit.
I think 10M would do if, but probably needs to be like 7 years. NFL head coach contracts apparently are generally fully guaranteed whereas NCAA aren't necessarily.

75/7 + control of operations I bet would get it done.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 5:41 pm
Otis Day wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 4:13 pm I don't think $10 mil a year will get it for him. Mel Tucker is at $9.5/yr.

I think 10M would do if, but probably needs to be like 7 years. NFL head coach contracts apparently are generally fully guaranteed whereas NCAA aren't necessarily.

75/7 + control of operations I bet would get it done.
I’ll throw down for $100
dplank
Hall of Famer

Xee
Site Admin

Burl
Crafty Veteran

Sweet baby Jesus, yes!
If it doesn't work out, fine but they've got to try!