Nominations for worst NFL franchises

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

From the other thread.

Who do you think is among the worst NFL franchises? Give 1-10 choices. And EXPLAIN WHY

Criteria is mostly for how they run their team and the results it generates.
We're not talking 1-4 year short-term behavior, and we're not talking about what happened in the 50s, we're talking 5-25ish years.

After a list is compiled, I'll make a poll.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

Giants have had a pretty bad recent run

Texans. Jags. Jets. Washington. Lions. Panthers. Falcons
dplank
Hall of Famer

Jags, Jets, Lions are the bottom 3.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

As long as we're talking aggregate over the past 20ish years.

Bottom 9
Lions
Browns
Jets
Bengals
Football Team
Raiders
Jaguars
Bills
Dolphins

Bears are with a handful of other teams for that 10th spot IMO. All teams except for Raiders on that list haven't made a SB in last 20 years. There are a few other teams that haven't made a SB appearance in 20 years but not sure any qualify as bottom 10 franchises
(Vikings, Chargers, Texans). If we extend back 30 years Cowboys and 49ers definitely get to the safe zone. So that last spot in bottom 10 is prob between Bears, Cardinals, Falcons, Titans.

My criteria was basically playoff appearances, SB appearances, and number of consecutive bottom division finishes over a 20-25 year span. Although I didn't run exact figures.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:38 pm Jags, Jets, Lions are the bottom 3.
I think Browns have to be included in bottom 3.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

1) NY Jets: NOTHING ever seems to go their way. Ever. It's been like this for decades. That isn't to suggest they are victims of bad luck. Bad decisions play a role. But they just constantly suck. It's why I'm giving Todd Bowles a pass when thinking about him for the Bears jobs. I don't even remember anything going GOOD for them.

2) Lions: Just constant basement dwellers in the division with no hope for anything. Squandered Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford. Some of the dumbest draft choices I can ever remember. What did they do? 3 WRs in consecutive years in the first round? I will say that I love Dan Campbell in terms of him being a leader.

3) Bears: Yes...us. We are an original franchise with consistent family ownership in a major market that at one point was pretty damn respectable. Now we are a fucking joke for a variety of reasons and with the exception of catching lightning in a bottle with Lovie Smith and that defense for a couple years we haven't done jack shit since 1985.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Tough battle between the Lions, Jets, Jags, and Browns for #1. Coaching turnover, mediocre drafting, lack of playoff appearances and wins. So #1 - 4

# 5 - 10: Houston, WFT, Carolina, Dolphins, Falcons, Bears
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 2:15 am
dplank wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 11:38 pm Jags, Jets, Lions are the bottom 3.
I think Browns have to be included in bottom 3.
Yea I was taking recency into account probably too much. Over 20 years they may be the worst.
RichH55
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:02 am 1) NY Jets: NOTHING ever seems to go their way. Ever. It's been like this for decades. That isn't to suggest they are victims of bad luck. Bad decisions play a role. But they just constantly suck. It's why I'm giving Todd Bowles a pass when thinking about him for the Bears jobs. I don't even remember anything going GOOD for them.

2) Lions: Just constant basement dwellers in the division with no hope for anything. Squandered Calvin Johnson and Matthew Stafford. Some of the dumbest draft choices I can ever remember. What did they do? 3 WRs in consecutive years in the first round? I will say that I love Dan Campbell in terms of him being a leader.

3) Bears: Yes...us. We are an original franchise with consistent family ownership in a major market that at one point was pretty damn respectable. Now we are a fucking joke for a variety of reasons and with the exception of catching lightning in a bottle with Lovie Smith and that defense for a couple years we haven't done jack shit since 1985.
We literally made a Super Bowl in that time frame - this is a bad take
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Okay thought I would try to create a impartial method to rank the worst franchises. It wasn't exactly scientific, but just a point system. My sample period is 1996-2021. I excluded any SB winning franchise (plus SF and DAL who won a SB just before that threshold).

+2 points for making a Super Bowl Appearance
+1 point for each playoff win
+1 for a playoff appearance
+1 for a division title
-1 for a consecutive last place division finish
-1 for any season with <5 wins
*Not a full 25 season sample

The rankings:

Cleveland*: (18)
Detroit: (9)

BIG BREAK

Las Vegas: 0
Cincinnati: 2
Buffalo: 4
Washington: 4
Chicago: 6
NY Jets: 6
Jacksonville: 7
Houston*: 7
LA Chargers: 8
Miami: 9
Arizona: 11

BIG BREAK

Atlanta: 21
Titans: 21
Carolina: 23
Minnesota: 24

In the middle group, only Chicago, Arizona, and Las Vegas have made a SB trip. Ironically one of the things that might hurt the Bears the most is they had quite a few Byes when they have made the PO, so they lost a few chances to pick up some more PO wins in the WC round. I did consider counting a bye as a point, but I kind of feel if you got the bye and lose that should count against you too.

When I originally went through my mental list I was using 20 years. Going back to 25 helped a few franchises like Miami and Jacksonville (Coughlin is seriously impressive for what he did with an expansion franchise).

Anyways on my impartial method, I guess the Bears are a comfortable bottom 10 franchise, whereas my off the top of my head list, I had them right at the cusp at number 10.. Change a few assumptions and maybe it changes.

But the winner for worst has to be Cleveland or Detroit. Las Vegas is probably next up, with just 2000-2002 really doing some heavy lifting to prop them up. Cincy honorable mention for bottom 3 for not winning a playoff game since the 1990 season. Plus on my metric they are basically just saved by not finishing last because Cleveland was picking up the slack most years :lol:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

RichH55 wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 9:22 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Sun Jan 09, 2022 6:02 am 1) NY Jets: NOTHING ever seems to go their way. Ever. It's been like this for decades. That isn't to suggest they are victims of bad luck. Bad decisions play a role. But they just constantly suck. It's why I'm giving Todd Bowles a pass when thinking about him for the Bears jobs. I don't even remember anything going GOOD for them.

We literally made a Super Bowl in that time frame - this is a bad take
Not really.

Lots of teams make Super Bowls over a 30 year period. Doesn't mean they're worth a damn.

To Lovie Smith's credit he made a Super Bowl with Rex Grossman as the QB.

But like I said, that man caught lightning in a bottle with that defense.

Otherwise, it's been a turd sandwich.