Chicago Bears fire HC Matt Nagy & GM Ryan Pace

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

wiNDycityfan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:06 am
Hema2.0 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:01 am Let the celebrations begin. Until they fuck this up too.
Maybe, just maybe, the McCaskeys have indeed been receiving the football advice from respected football people we’ve been hearing about and following it.

Hope is eternal.
Xee
Site Admin

Man, I knew Nagy was out but I never expected that they would let go of Pace as well.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:10 am
UOK wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:08 am

1PM. George McCaskey will address the media alone.
Alone! Maybe he'll also announce that Ted Phillips is being reassigned.
I wonder which one of Mumbles McGoo’s friends are gonna do his dirty work this time?

Accorsi again?
Or is he going to try a new consultant to build the front office and coaching staff.

Not like the McCaskey family has almost a century of experience in building a football team or anything.

Mumbles will get up there. We have to get better. YANK YANK YANK!
wab
Mod

Z Bear wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:39 am The Bears can literally get rid of anynore except for Fields, Jenkins, Kmet, and Jonhson.
I mean, not really but I know what you mean.
spudbear
MVP

We can cry about this being one year too late, but the Bears could not fire a coach who got his team to the playoffs, in spite of the expanded playoff schedule.
The new GM will have his hands full with finding playmakers for this team. In a similar start to Pace, they'll be looking to draft the best WR with their first pick.

I hope they take dPlank's advice and hire a football operations manager that would report to George and be responsible for the GM and HC. Let the GM worry about acquiring talent rather than coaching, and let the HC worry about getting the best out of the players he has rather than trolling for more talent. The Bears need to get their offices in order soon as there will be more competition for GM and HC slots as the days go by.
San Francisco has always been my favorite booing city. I don't mean the people boo louder or longer, but there is a very special intimacy. Music, that's what it is to me. One time in Kezar Stadium they gave me a standing boo.

George Halas
Artbest
Player of the Month

Had to be done. You can't fire Matt Nagy and retain Ryan Pace - not with the roster in the shape it's in and the way he's mismanaged the draft and the salary cap. Pace was effectively running a Ponzi scheme against himself.

I'll be surprised if they pursue Harbaugh. Whomever they bring in to the GM likely will have coaching candidates in mind - probably guys that are highly respected around the league but are not "big names."

I think Harbaugh, who apparently is close with Mark Davis, will wait to see what happens in Las Vegas before making a move. If the Raiders don't make a change, I think Miami (can't see Harbaugh in Minnesota) may be appealing.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

I cant believe they actually did both but it was the right decision. A beautiful way to kick off the New Year. Now lets snag us Harbaugh or McDaniels and get this team turned around!
wab
Mod

Artbest wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:22 am Had to be done. You can't fire Matt Nagy and retain Ryan Pace - not with the roster in the shape it's in and the way he's mismanaged the draft and the salary cap. Pace was effectively running a Ponzi scheme against himself.

I'll be surprised if they pursue Harbaugh. Whomever they bring in to the GM likely will have coaching candidates in mind - probably guys that are highly respected around the league but are not "big names."

I think Harbaugh, who apparently is close with Mark Davis, will wait to see what happens in Las Vegas before making a move. If the Raiders don't make a change, I think Miami (can't see Harbaugh in Minnesota) may be appealing.
It's gonna be tough to make a change in Vegas if the Raiders win their WC game. Firing the first playoff winning coach in 20 years, interim or not, is a hard move.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I guess my big concern now is that George McCaskey is running the ship for the moment, alone. And he needs to pace this process very quickly to seize on the short list of top notch people that can fill these roles. George historically moves like a sloth, he's very deliberate. IMO, he must have known for a few weeks this was going to be his move and should be fully prepared for a short list of candidates to get this going.

What I fear and don't want to see is a lengthy GM search that puts off the HC search until it's filled. And then by time we have our GM in place all the good coaches have been hired elsewhere and we're left scraping the bottom of the barrel.
dplank
Hall of Famer

They should consider promoting Champ Kelly
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

This was the right move and Jahns tweeted that the press conference this afternoon was going to just be George McCaskey.

I don’t know if that means he’s retiring or gone too or what but hopefully he has absolutely nothing to do with the hiring decisions.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:33 am I guess my big concern now is that George McCaskey is running the ship for the moment, alone. And he needs to pace this process very quickly to seize on the short list of top notch people that can fill these roles. George historically moves like a sloth, he's very deliberate. IMO, he must have known for a few weeks this was going to be his move and should be fully prepared for a short list of candidates to get this going.

What I fear and don't want to see is a lengthy GM search that puts off the HC search until it's filled. And then by time we have our GM in place all the good coaches have been hired elsewhere and we're left scraping the bottom of the barrel.
This is why I'm firmly in the "be careful what you wish for" camp right now.

In one breath people are all "yay that clown Pace is gone" and then in the next it's "lol, can't wait to see how George screws this up".
Z Bear
MVP

wab wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:21 am
Z Bear wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:39 am The Bears can literally get rid of anynore except for Fields, Jenkins, Kmet, and Jonhson.
I mean, not really but I know what you mean.

Cody Whitehair -$200k
Eddie Jackson -$3.5M
Dann Trevathan -$3m
Justin Fields -$11M
Teven Jenkins -$1.8M

Those are the only negative cap hits if cut pre June 1st on the entire team. Everyone else has a positive cap gain by cutting them. I do not expect them to move multiple people, I am just saying there is the flexibiltiy to do whatever the next GM and coach want. I was wrong initially ony Kmet and Johnson, you would gain cap space by cutting or trading either (but there is no way I would touch either of them).
dplank
Hall of Famer

I think George can do it, I just hope that he has a fairly simple vision for what he wants his new GM to bring to the franchise. I really hope that he targets a GM that believes that the game is won with a) great QB play and b) great play at the line of scrimmage (both sides). Win in the trenches and have a great QB and you can win it all/mask all other problems that you might have. We have to hope we have the QB, so show me a GM that has a proven track record of focusing on OL/DL please!!
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Oh gosh I hope the new GM drives a Camry.

Giggle.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

(sung to the tune of The Sopranos theme)

Woke up this morning, got yourself a beer.
Looked around old Halas Hall and asked what do we have here?
There's the head coach all packing up cuz his losing ass is gone.
And all the fans bemoan what the hell has gone all wrong.

Woke up this morning, the world turned upside down.
The once storied Chicago team is now just sad sack clowns.
George and Ted and Ryan are clueless on what to save.
And all their efforts have Papa Bear spinning in his grave.

Sing it now,
Woke up this morning, got tears welling in your eyes.
woke up this morning.

Woke up this morning, the future clear as mud.
The 2021 season was another painful dud.
Living through it all has brought you so much pain.
And that light you see is likely that of an oncoming train.

Woke up this morning,
got yourself a beer,
got yourself a beer,
got yourself a beer
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:42 am I think George can do it, I just hope that he has a fairly simple vision for what he wants his new GM to bring to the franchise. I really hope that he targets a GM that believes that the game is won with a) great QB play and b) great play at the line of scrimmage (both sides). Win in the trenches and have a great QB and you can win it all/mask all other problems that you might have. We have to hope we have the QB, so show me a GM that has a proven track record of focusing on OL/DL please!!
Yep.

The team should be built from those closest to the ball and then outwards.

QB
OL
DL

Then go from there.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

wab wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:36 am
dplank wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:33 am I guess my big concern now is that George McCaskey is running the ship for the moment, alone. And he needs to pace this process very quickly to seize on the short list of top notch people that can fill these roles. George historically moves like a sloth, he's very deliberate. IMO, he must have known for a few weeks this was going to be his move and should be fully prepared for a short list of candidates to get this going.

In one breath people are all "yay that clown Pace is gone" and then in the next it's "lol, can't wait to see how George screws this up".
It’s all possible, but Pace’s track record is what his tenured record is, and that isn’t even close to employable in this business. With that in mind, you couldn’t possibly continue with him in charge. You cannot allow mediocrity due to uncertainty or fear of continued failure. A change had to be made.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm really happy that we will have a new GM come in here to evaluate the current roster and make some important decisions. Pace wasn't going to do a "reset", he believes in the guys he brought in here. I was worried he would cling to Daniels (and maybe Nichols) and overpay him like he did Whitehair. A fresh set of eyes on some key decisions is really welcome:

Daniels
Trevathan
EJax
Goldman
Hicks
Nichols
Mack
Quinn
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Ryan Pace is 48-64 as GM. Clinging to below average because you’re afraid of being terrible is no way to approach things.

The fact that George McCaskey got rid of both Pace and Nagy and it doesn’t look like Ted Phillips will be involved are all encouraging signs.
Last edited by TheWorldBreaker on Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:48 am I'm really happy that we will have a new GM come in here to evaluate the current roster and make some important decisions. Pace wasn't going to do a "reset", he believes in the guys he brought in here. I was worried he would cling to Daniels (and maybe Nichols) and overpay him like he did Whitehair. A fresh set of eyes on some key decisions is really welcome:

Daniels
Trevathan
EJax
Goldman
Hicks
Nichols
Mack
Quinn
As harsh as it may be after he just set a record...but Quinn's trade value might never be higher.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:51 am

Ryan Pace is 48-64 as GM. Clinging to below average because you’re afraid of being terrible is no way to approach things.

The fact that Ted Phillips got rid of both Pace and Nagy and it doesn’t look like Ted Phillips will be involved are all encouraging signs.
You said it best
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The fact that Ted Phillips got rid of both Pace and Nagy and it doesn’t look like Ted Phillips will be involved are all encouraging signs.
Exactly.

Pace shouldn’t keep his job because change is hard.

He sucked as a GM and he had it coming. He had it coming a year ago.
wab
Mod

wiNDycityfan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:53 am

You said it best
Ted Phillips didn't get rid of anyone.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

Well it will be interesting. The bears had a legit talent gap when Pace took over, and still do. Although there has been some improvement and optimism, this team is still not where it needs to be. I think that's what got Nagy axed.
GSH
MVP

oh boy, here we go again!
Z Bear
MVP

wab wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:52 am As harsh as it may be after he just set a record...but Quinn's trade value might never be higher.
and still leave an OLB room of Mack, Gipson, Attaoucho, and Snowden. As I said earlier in one of the threads, Mack and Quinn are both signed for 3 more years at very reasonable rates for the new team. I would think you could get at least a first for either.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

the only problem with the new clean slate is the people deciding who to hire are the same people who have been screwing everything up for so long

I'd very much like to see them do the new hiring in the correct order as well ... get the GM/Head of Football Operations in place first, then let that GM do his job and get a coach
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

wab wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:54 am
wiNDycityfan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:53 am

You said it best
Ted Phillips didn't get rid of anyone.
What I get for typing on my phone while on conference calls at work.