Chicago Bears fire HC Matt Nagy & GM Ryan Pace

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

Also, how long has Bill Polian been out of the league? I’m now afraid Tony Dungy could be a candidate.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:26 pm
Just got asked this question.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:42 pm
UOK wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:21 pm https://dabearsblog.com/2022/details-on ... -matt-nagy

Lots of good stuff in here on Pace/Nagy/McCaskey/Phillips over the last year.
Great link. If true, it makes the Bears front office look a little more competent.
Pace earned his firing based on how he dealt with the QB position ... the only thing he got right was getting Fields and that was a happy accident rather than design

and I still don't know why he got Dalton rather than having Foles earn his $$$

plus, he said he would draft a QB every year and did not do that
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

George looks like an animatronic.

It’s the exact same bullshit we all expected.

TBH, I’m worried that he went overboard emphasizing the diversity officer. I get it. It’s an important and very legitimate topic.

Maybe George heard some of the squawk about why Mitch and not Watson? IDK.

But Harbaugh and Day are both white. Let the diversity officer pick the GM. I don’t care.
wab
Mod

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:31 pm
UOK wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:26 pm
Just got asked this question.
In fairness, I think he was referring to evaluating players.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:33 pm George looks like an animatronic.

TBH, I’m worried that he went overboard emphasizing the diversity officer. I get it. It’s an important and very legitimate topic.

But Harbaugh and Day are both white. Let the diversity officer pick the GM. I don’t care.
yea, i don't get the diversity officer thing. Is she really impacting a GM decision, how exactly is she qualified to do that? Diversity inclusion is important, and I'm not trying to shit on that in any way - it just seems very misplaced in this context.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

This press conference is depressing but at least some of the beat writers are actually pressing him.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I want someone to ask him about Jim Harbaugh. He won't answer it, but maybe it'll incept the idea into his brain and make him aware of how popular that decision might be.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:37 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:33 pm George looks like an animatronic.

yea, i don't get the diversity officer thing. Is she really impacting a GM decision, how exactly is she qualified to do that? Diversity inclusion is important, and I'm not trying to shit on that in any way - it just seems very misplaced in this context.
I assume she will be involved in some way...making sure the Bears are meeting the requirements of the NFL.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:26 pm
UOK wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:20 pm

Except that George said minutes ago that he'll rely on Ted's help in making the GM hiring decision, so...
Well he said Ted will be involved because he's in charge of the contract. He said that Ted is welcome to give counsel, but that the decision on the hire is his and his alone.
Anyone who expected George to fire someone he trusts, based on the fact that others don't trust him, was setting themselves up to be disappointed from jump.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

I’m sure the Diversity Officer is involved in a lot of other hirings across the organization so it only makes sense to involve her in this. GM / HC are the two most important roles for the Bears.

I guess it’s a Catch-22. You have a Diversity Officer on staff, but then you don’t involve in the interviews for the two big roles. Well then isn’t that in and of itself racist? I can see that.

IDK. I just want the best person. Could be a transgender from Mars. I seriously don’t fucking care. Just win the Super Bowl.
dplank
Hall of Famer

DAMN! George just lit up the D for failing to touch down a WR in Week 1 and again yesterday.
IotaNet
MVP

wab wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:38 pm
dplank wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:37 pm yea, i don't get the diversity officer thing. Is she really impacting a GM decision, how exactly is she qualified to do that? Diversity inclusion is important, and I'm not trying to shit on that in any way - it just seems very misplaced in this context.
I assume she will be involved in some way...making sure the Bears are meeting the requirements of the NFL.
I didnt see the presser but this may be a signal that the team is about to move fast, and they don't want to leave the impression that the diversity component is going to be overlooked.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

He did say the diversity officer will be one of the 4-5 people in charge to decide on the candidacy.

So, in short, the good news is Nagy and Pace are deservedly so gone. The bad news is we have hardly improved the way we make decisions to hire the replacements.

P.S. 43 minutes into the press conference and he’s still talking about Tanisha or whoever that diversity officer is. I need a drink.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

wiNDycityfan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:44 pm

He did say the diversity officer will be one of the 4-5 people in charge to decide on the candidacy.

So, in short, the good news is Nagy and Pace are deservedly so gone. The bad news is we have hardly improved the way we make decisions to hire the replacements.

P.S. 43 minutes into the press conference and he’s still talking about Tanisha or whoever that diversity officer is. I need a drink.
The D&I Officer is pretty much a requirement in today's NFL. So I am not surprised that she is still being discussed. It's a nothingburger.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I think I'm done with this now. These questions are just being rehashed.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I like George.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:46 pm
wiNDycityfan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:44 pm

The D&I Officer is pretty much a requirement in today's NFL. So I am not surprised that she is still being discussed. It's a nothingburger.
George is also, IIRC, on the NFL Diversity committee.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:42 pm DAMN! George just lit up the D for failing to touch down a WR in Week 1 and again yesterday.
He started by praising David Montgomery and Roquan Smith for always given their all every play.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:48 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:46 pm

George is also, IIRC, on the NFL Diversity committee.
Yes. And in today's NFL, and rightfully so, this needs to be a point of emphasis.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

So, back to Polian, he used to be a “pundit” for ESPN, providing color and insights throughout the season and about the business side of the game. Has he been out there lately in the same capacity?
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

I hate this fucking franchise and I hate myself for supporting them.

George is going to rely on an accountant and a guy who has been out of football for a decade. The only thing Bill Polian is known for in the last ten years is repeatedly saying that MVP QB Lamar Jackson should have been moved to WR.

These idiots are going to hire Tony Dungy as GM and Leslie Frazier as Coach.

And now that idiot George just questioned Olin's honor/integrity/honesty.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Not much to like about the McCaskey press conference.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:01 pm I hate this fucking franchise and I hate myself for supporting them.

George is going to rely on an accountant and a guy who has been out of football for a decade. The only thing Bill Polian is known for in the last ten years is repeatedly saying that MVP QB Lamar Jackson should have been moved to WR.

Very well stated
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:01 pm I hate this fucking franchise and I hate myself for supporting them.

Exactly! We can pack our bags for Pound Town, because we are fucked!
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:12 pm Talking about the possibility of hiring the HC first and then the GM. Meaning the HC could help choose the GM. To me that means that if they can get Harbaugh, he will have a lot of say of who he gets to work with.
Sounds like Geo is not tied into a specific step-by-step plan. I like the sound of that.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

So to summarise after all that:

The Bears are doing exactly what they did last time around. George and Ted, with the help of an outside consultant who's been out of the game for some years, are going to seek out candidates and carry out interviews for the new GM. The only difference this time is that the team's Diversity & Inclusion Officer will be joining them to ensure they give all candidates a fair shake, implying that perhaps they didn't manage do that previously.

The only structural change is that the new GM will report directly to George instead of through Ted. George has got to learn how that is going to work and will rely on the new GM to teach him!

This is not exactly filling me with confidence I have to say.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

How incompetent can you be, to not feel confident in interviewing and researching your own candidates?

It's actually hysterical. You essentially have three things to grade. The resume, the interview, and the scheme/plan.