Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

This is how I interpreted that press conference

(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:06 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:03 pm

Given that we all know this round of hirings will most likely end in failure in about 3 or 4 years then yeah I want Morocco Brown just for the funny name.

In fact, once the hiring is announced we need to start a Fire Morocco Brown thread.
Soup Campbell will recommend Morocco Brown
As part of the interview not only do I want Morocco Brown to hold a mock press conference, but I want to see his behavior in a soup line.

Does he step forward quickly when it’s his turn?
Does he say his order in a clear and concise fashion?
Does he step to the left quickly after stating his order?
Does he pay in exact change?
In the unlikely event he isn’t given bread, does he say anything to the cashier?

All important things.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:10 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:06 pm

Soup Campbell will recommend Morocco Brown
As part of the interview not only do I want Morocco Brown to hold a mock press conference, but I want to see his behavior in a soup line.

Does he step forward quickly when it’s his turn?
Does he say his order in a clear and concise fashion?
Does he step to the left quickly after stating his order?
Does he pay in exact change?
In the unlikely event he isn’t given bread, does he say anything to the cashier?

All important things.
I can see George already.... "No soup for you!"
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:51 pm
dplank wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:47 pm For everyone throwing a fit over the press conference today, I just have to ask: Isn't firing both Pace and Nagy exactly what we wanted George to do today?

I don't know what else anyone was expecting, but we got the news we wanted. He also made a small change in the org structure, moving Phillips out of football ops and bringing that under his purview instead. The only thing he didn't do was install a Trace Armstrong type and instead said that he'll favor a strong GM that reports to ownership - it's really semantic.

I just don't understand why people are upset here, the Bears did what we all wanted them to do. Let's see what happens next!
I don't know what people expected either. Most NFL owners are bad at this part.
Cosigned.

We all wanted Matt Nagy gone.
Most wanted Ryan Pace out the door too.

That's what happened. What happens next is fair to praise or criticize.

Plus a guy who doesn't like to talk put himself in the line of fire by, well, talking. Answering questions. Giving his opinion.

Okay, you don't like his answers or his opinions. You think he's a moron and a court jester. Maybe he is, I don't know him. But to suggest he's any more likely to listen to and trust someone he doesn't know and hasn't worked with than you or I are is just bitching for the sake of it.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:14 pm
wab wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 3:51 pm
I don't know what people expected either. Most NFL owners are bad at this part.
Cosigned.

We all wanted Matt Nagy gone.
Most wanted Ryan Pace out the door too.

That's what happened. What happens next is fair to praise or criticize.

Plus a guy who doesn't like to talk put himself in the line of fire by, well, talking. Answering questions. Giving his opinion.

Okay, you don't like his answers or his opinions. You think he's a moron and a court jester. Maybe he is, I don't know him. But to suggest he's any more likely to listen to and trust someone he doesn't know and hasn't worked with than you or I are is just bitching for the sake of it.
As bad as this franchise has been for 2+ decades, bitching for the sake of it is expected.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:10 pm This is how I interpreted that press conference

:rofl:
wiNDycityfan
Pro Bowler

George McCaskey needs to move out of the way from this role. He’s so in over his head it’s comical and cringey. It’s like the old attorney that brings his dog to the family business but doesn’t do any work, and everybody is happy, telling tales about growing up on the farm, sipping on tea.

Ryan Pace must be kicking himself today. He had what could’ve been a lifelong cushy gig and let it slip away with his gaffes. Josh McDaniels would’ve been a great decision back then, even if it didn’t work out (surely he ain’t Nagy stupid) and Deshaun Watson could’ve granted him canonization status.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:10 pm This is how I interpreted that press conference

Oh God. I LOVE Black Adder. I think it was some of Stephen Fry and Rowan Atkinson's best work.
IotaNet
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:03 pm I want Morocco Brown just for the funny name ...
I know I'm dating myself but every time I read/hear the name, this is what comes to mind ...

“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

My dad would always say a "blind hog will find an acorn if he stays under the tree long enough."

Maybe that's what happens with George and our search for a new GM. Somehow, some way, despite logic he gets it right.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:46 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:03 pm I want Morocco Brown just for the funny name ...
I know I'm dating myself but every time I read/hear the name, this is what comes to mind ...

Hell yea. Caught Secret Squirrel after school on the Captain Ernie Show.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:59 pm
IotaNet wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:46 pm I know I'm dating myself but every time I read/hear the name, this is what comes to mind ...

Heh, yeah, I went there too.
KFFL refugee.

HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I think we'd have felt better about this press conference if:
  • George had said he'd consulted younger football guys who would be involved in interviewing the next GM than an 80-year old Polian who's been out of the league for a decade or more.
  • George had followed up 'Ted is stepping away from football operations' with 'and he's not going to be involved in any way in the selection of the new GM and HC'.
  • Ted hadn't been on the call at all.
The best question was when George was asked about being judged on his record over the past 11 years and why it made sense for him to still be making GM decisions. He squirmed and said ownership wanted him to continue i.e. he and his mommy don't want him to step aside. It was sadly pathetic.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

thunderspirit wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:25 pm
Otis Day wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:59 pm

Heh, yeah, I went there too.
We're old. :angry:
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Are you sure this wasn't the basis of the game plan for the last game?

Pace: So, it’s maximum security, is that clear?

Bears Player: Quite so Ryan, only myself and the rest of the football world is to know.

Pace: Good man. Now, Coach Nagy has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure victory in the final game.

Bears Player: Now, would this brilliant plan involve us lining up in shotgun and throwing on 4th and 1 sir?

Nagy: How can you possibly know that? It’s classified information!

Bears Player: It’s the same plan that we used last time... and the seventeen times before that.

Pace: E-E-Exactly! And that is what so brilliant about it! We will catch the woeful Vikings totally off guard! Doing precisely what we have done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they’ll expect us to do this time! There is however one small problem.

Bears Player: That our QB always gets slaughtered in the first two seconds?

Pace: That’s right! And Coach Nagy is worried that this may be depressing the men a tadge. So, he’s looking to find a way to cheer them up.

Bears Player: Well, his firing and yours too would seem the obvious solution.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

wiNDycityfan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 4:36 pm George McCaskey needs to move out of the way from this role. He’s so in over his head it’s comical and cringey. It’s like the old attorney that brings his dog to the family business but doesn’t do any work, and everybody is happy, telling tales about growing up on the farm, sipping on tea.

Ryan Pace must be kicking himself today. He had what could’ve been a lifelong cushy gig and let it slip away with his gaffes. Josh McDaniels would’ve been a great decision back then, even if it didn’t work out (surely he ain’t Nagy stupid) and Deshaun Watson could’ve granted him canonization status.
Or if he’d just fired Fox after year two (considering he ignored Fox’s views on the QB he didn’t believe in him anyway) Kyle Shanahan and Sean McVay were available.
GSH
MVP

Glad pace and nagy are gone.

George was born into team ownership, he admits hes not a football guy and the football guy they will bring in as GM will run the football side. Dont know what else anyone expects him to do? ( spoiler, they will never sell the team ).

Glad he said they wont neccesarily wait for GM to be appointed if they feel strongly about a HC. Im hoping they go hard after Harbaugh and ask him who he would like as a GM, feel having a bit of a say in that could go a long way for Harbaugh.

Who gives a fuck what Olin Kreutz or any other ex-player is crying about?

Given the circumstances, its about as optimistic as it can be at this point with a clean slate on the football GM/HC side of things.

I noted Nagy thanked everyone APART from the fans or city of chicago in his parting statement haha!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 5:48 pm

Are you sure this wasn't the basis of the game plan for the last game?

Pace: So, it’s maximum security, is that clear?

Bears Player: Quite so Ryan, only myself and the rest of the football world is to know.

Pace: Good man. Now, Coach Nagy has formulated a brilliant new tactical plan to ensure victory in the final game.

Bears Player: Now, would this brilliant plan involve us lining up in shotgun and throwing on 4th and 1 sir?

Nagy: How can you possibly know that? It’s classified information!

Bears Player: It’s the same plan that we used last time... and the seventeen times before that.

Pace: E-E-Exactly! And that is what so brilliant about it! We will catch the woeful Vikings totally off guard! Doing precisely what we have done eighteen times before is exactly the last thing they’ll expect us to do this time! There is however one small problem.

Bears Player: That our QB always :D gets slaughtered in the first two seconds?

Pace: That’s right! And Coach Nagy is worried that this may be depressing the men a tadge. So, he’s looking to find a way to cheer them up.

Bears Player: Well, his firing and yours too would seem the obvious solution.
:D

Nice work.
It seems to me George and co seem to think THIS time the same people will get it right by hiring exactly same type of people they hired last time.

George is totally confused:

“Bottom line is wins vs losses”

If that’s the case then you need to hire winners not “people who represent your values”.

Hire a goddam winner not someone you want to go on holiday with, get a winner PERIOD!
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

These are other GM candidates according to NFL.com:
Ran Carthon, 49ers director of player personnel
Ryan Cowden, Titans vice president of player personnel
Monti Ossenfort, Titans director of player personnel
Adam Peters, 49ers assistant general manager
Joe Schoen, Bills assistant general manager
Adrian Wilson, Cardinals vice president of pro personnel
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
IE
Hall of Famer

It's a good day.

Personally, I'd rather just have the real source of success (Manning) as the GM and not Dungy. But that's just me. I've heard good things about Morocco Brown. I really don't know enough about the scouting world to have a strong opinion about GM. I do agree with what they were saying on the Score tonight that IF they hire a strong enough coach (e.g. Harbaugh, McDaniels), THEY should be the one picking the GM... like Shanny did. There aren't many of them but those are the guys I'd want I think.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

They're certainly leaving no stone unturned. I'm not sure whether the number of interviews they're requesting is a good sign that they're being thorough or evidence of a lack of preparation with them just throwing everything against the wall and seeing what sticks.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

So a new GM will not answer to a clueless Ted Phillips anymore but to the clown owner of the team, who has done nothing but make missteps since assuming control of the team. Not any improvement in organization.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Thought this was interesting article when looking at coaching hires and worth posting on one of these threads.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/1/6/ ... d-mistakes
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Just watched the press conference. That was awful. It didn't give me hope for the future. All it made me think of was, glad the other 2 are gone, see you in 4 yrs when we are doing this again.
Xee
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:57 pm They're certainly leaving no stone unturned. I'm not sure whether the number of interviews they're requesting is a good sign that they're being thorough or evidence of a lack of preparation with them just throwing everything against the wall and seeing what sticks.
The more candidates I see being interviewed the more it reminds me of the kicking competition.

I'm not sure if this subterfuge, how the GM search actually goes, or just the Bears being unprepared with serious candidates.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

The Bears were one of the first teams to name a black starting QB (Vince Evans) as well as one of the early teams to name a black head coach (Lovie Smith). Why do they need a D&I VP to help pick their next coach or GM again?
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Mikefive wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:16 pm The Bears were one of the first teams to name a black starting QB (Vince Evans) as well as one of the early teams to name a black head coach (Lovie Smith). Why do they need a D&I VP to help pick their next coach or GM again?
They've got a D&I rep to make sure the process is fair and impartial and to make sure that its not just a 'satisfy the Rooney Rule' interview. The Bears are trying to lead the way and I applaud George for it (one of the few things I'll give him credit for).
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
BearsFanInMN
Crafty Veteran

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:28 pm
Mikefive wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:16 pm The Bears were one of the first teams to name a black starting QB (Vince Evans) as well as one of the early teams to name a black head coach (Lovie Smith). Why do they need a D&I VP to help pick their next coach or GM again?
They've got a D&I rep to make sure the process is fair and impartial and to make sure that its not just a 'satisfy the Rooney Rule' interview. The Bears are trying to lead the way and I applaud George for it (one of the few things I'll give him credit for).
Agreed. You can pick nits on a lot of pieces of the hiring process (and we all will) but I don’t have any issues with this. Another younger football experienced voice besides just Campbell? Fire away.
MOTML League: Eskimo Brothers
thunderspirit
Head Coach

BearsFanInMN wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:31 pm Thought this was interesting article when looking at coaching hires and worth posting on one of these threads.

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/1/6/ ... d-mistakes
Found the article interesting, thanks for sharing.
KFFL refugee.

malk
Head Coach

wab wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 1:47 pm
malk wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 12:24 pm

We've got to be able to move on from Mack, Quinn etc. first. If we can't get picks for them we're looking at a pretty bare cupboard there. I'd love to see the new GM get creative with trading them, maybe even renegotiating their deals to make us eat a bit more cap if it can net us significantly higher picks. Quinn at $12m per year might be really attractive for a team on the cusp but Mack might need sweetening a little to get a really high pick. Given where we are I'd take a few million to make it happen.

Also I've been quite happy with Desai. The defence has looked ok and I don't think he's the problem when we're forced to start guys that aren't close to cutting it and can be easily targeted. I hope he gets another chance in better circumstances soon.
How are you going to say that the Bears need to ditch Mack and Quinn and then in the very next paragraph acknowledge that the Bears were forced to play guys that weren't starter quality?

I understand that you are obsessed with contracts and the cap, but the Bears need talent too. I understand moving on from Quinn if you can get a decent pick for him, because Gipson is waiting in the wings. I really don't understand moving on from Mack simply because you (as a fan) don't like his contract.
One is in evaluating Desai over the past year. I.e. if you have significant holes in your starting roster then they're going to be exposed. The other is evaluating the roster over a longer term with a view to becoming a team that makes the playoffs regularly and gets 2+ playoff wins not infrequently (admittedly that's shooting for the stars). For the roster I don't see us with any chance of getting 2+ playoff wins next year and in 2023 when it might be possible Mack and Quinn will be pretty old and with a decent chance of being shot or at least much diminished. So it'd be selling as high as we can and clearing out cap space ready to rebuild with players at a more suitable age for where the team is. Short term pain for, hopefully, long term gain.

On the press conference, didn't watch myself but I wouldn't read that much into it anyway. It's a really odd position to hire, perhaps like hiring a CTO or something where there isn't really anyone above with the technical knowledge to assess. When people look at the franchises that are considered good at this kind of thing it usually boils down to them getting one hire right and then that lasting for ages giving the impression of long term competency when it was just that one initial decision. That's compounded when the one good hire is a GM who then uses their ability to succession plan later on.

Now I suspect I'll be disappointed in the end as our ownership seems like the sort to go with a conservative choice of picking a good talent evaluator rather than a more moneyball type that I'd prefer but that's, I think, a different argument.
"I wouldn't take him for a conditional 7th. His next contract will pay him more than he could possibly contribute.".

Noted Brain Genius Malk, Summer 2018.

(2020 update, wait, was I right...)