For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

docc
Head Coach

I was giving a buck to a homeless guy..

"No it's cool..the Bears are interviewing me as GM.."

So I warned him his current position outside the Quick Mart was better..

He said maybe he should think about this
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

How many VP's do the Brown's have?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:11 pm How many VP's do the Brown's have?
They have a big FO. Maybe the biggest from what I understand. A interesting note if we're trying to read the tea leaves.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Any truth to the rumor that if I buy 10 subs at Subway, they'll punch my ticket for me to interview for the Bears GM job?

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

He’s a young ascending guy within their college scouting group.

Is it possible the Bears are thinking of reshaping the front office and hiring more than one of these guys rather than putting the GM in charge of hiring everybody? They’re interviewing coaches too and don’t have a GM yet so maybe they think they can put a supergroup together?
xyt in the discord chats
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

crueltyabc wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:49 am He’s a young ascending guy within their college scouting group.

Is it possible the Bears are thinking of reshaping the front office and hiring more than one of these guys rather than putting the GM in charge of hiring everybody? They’re interviewing coaches too and don’t have a GM yet so maybe they think they can put a supergroup together?
Sort of like a think tank?
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:08 pm
crueltyabc wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:49 am He’s a young ascending guy within their college scouting group.

Sort of like a think tank?
I was thinking more like the Travelling Wilburys or the Avengers but sure your analogy works too
xyt in the discord chats
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

If Cynthia "Queen of Dots" Frelund loves him then I think he's probably too forward thinking for ol' Georgie. It would be fun to have a young guy from the New NFL instead of a crusty old football guy but I doubt it.
xyt in the discord chats
wab
Mod

I have no idea who this guy is.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Lol she replies to her own tweet "Also, if you hadn’t heard the name before it’s because he’s spent his time doing the actual work (for the #browns) not working to get publicity…"
xyt in the discord chats
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Its possible to a degree. The NFL has created a new "level" in assistant GM that teams can't block for, but I don't know if it's clear to anyone but Goodell right now what a bona fide assistant GM role is.

And frankly I could see it very situational dependent, for instance he wouldn't let a team get poached of two guys, exact definitions of role be damned.

Maybe some of these guys could be poached as asst GM. Brown in Indy actually comes to mind as Dodds is already the number 2. So if Brown is a number 3 and you hire your new number 1 from a different org, he's still blocked in Indy and they can't stop him from taking your number 2 role. (that's assuming Dodds doesn't go elsewhere).

Further, make your GM role not from a scouting background, such as Kwesi, and that assistant GM role is VERY attractive to a guy like Brown as a number 2 role, but still top scout role. Not sure how many if any Bears scouts are still left from his day, but would be a benefit if he could keep continuity in year 1 with college/pro departments.

GM: Kwesi
Asst GM: Brown
Player Personnel VP: Champ Kelly (he won't be around for long, but hasn't come up yet in this cycle for interviews)

Kwesi (or similar) would then build out his analytics/research staff and football admin (contracts/cap) with Soup Campbell leading the player advancement area.

REALLY selling myself on the "don't make a scout type your GM" approach.
wulfy
MVP

All of these Browns guys getting a lot of play .... but they have a similar issue as the Bears .... did they pick the right QB? Because I don't think anyone knows that yet.

And where is John Dorsey's name in all of this?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

wulfy wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:47 pm All of these Browns guys getting a lot of play .... but they have a similar issue as the Bears .... did they pick the right QB? Because I don't think anyone knows that yet.

And where is John Dorsey's name in all of this?
The Browns current FO iteration is 100% absolutely nothing like the Bears.
wulfy
MVP

In reference to the QB position, was my point.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Fwiw

This implies Champ Kelly and Kwesi are out of contention as I think those are the only 3 GM interviews so far.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

And another nugget:
wulfy
MVP

Cook apparently was very, very good in his interview and will be part of the Second Interview list.