Free Talk: Bears HC Matt Eberflus

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

From his wiki:

"With Josh McDaniels set to take the head coaching job with the Indianapolis Colts, Eberflus was hired to be his defensive coordinator. Though when McDaniels ultimately withdrew his acceptance and decided to stay in New England, Eberflus stayed on as defensive coordinator when Philadelphia Eagles' offensive coordinator Frank Reich was hired as the Colts' head coach. Though Eberflus and Reich had never met, Colts' General Manager Chris Ballard "was very persuasive and very strong in his conviction [to Reich] that Matt was the right guy."[9] Eberflus was credited with instilling an "ultra-demanding culture of hustle, discipline and teamwork"[10] that ultimately helped turn the Colts around from a 4-12 team in 2017 to a 10-6 playoff team, reaching the AFC Divisional Playoff Round."

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

I don’t really know anything about this guy but I like the line about discipline. I think that’s something the Bears need with all of the dumb penalties and forgetting to touch downed receivers stuff.
UOK
Site Admin

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

I like the idea of Eberflus’s style a lot, but he needs the players to buy in or risk the team quitting

Think rod marinelli type of coach. Great coordinator, but iffy as a head coach.

Never know until he gets his shot…
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I like the idea of bringing in an accomplished DC as HC, and then letting him pick his OC/QB Coach and letting them do their thing. No more offensive gurus head coaching, running the offense, and calling plays. I'm out.
Xee
Site Admin

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:50 pm I like the idea of bringing in an accomplished DC as HC, and then letting him pick his OC/QB Coach and letting them do their thing. No more offensive gurus head coaching, running the offense, and calling plays. I'm out.
Throw in that the HC should be completely open with the idea of not just focusing on building a strong defense, otherwise we'll just have another Lovie Smith.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:08 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:50 pm I like the idea of bringing in an accomplished DC as HC, and then letting him pick his OC/QB Coach and letting them do their thing. No more offensive gurus head coaching, running the offense, and calling plays. I'm out.
Throw in that the HC should be completely open with the idea of not just focusing on building a strong defense, otherwise we'll just have another Lovie Smith.
But that's my point. Let the HC focus on the defense, make sure he hires an OC that is allowed to completely manage that side of the ball. Let Eberflus manage the defensive scheme, and leave the other side to his OC.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:15 pm
Xee wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:08 pm

But that's my point. Let the HC focus on the defense, make sure he hires an OC that is allowed to completely manage that side of the ball. Let Eberflus manage the defensive scheme, and leave the other side to his OC.
Then we are in the same boat as with Lovie, or with Nagy just flipped from O to D. We need a head coach, not a coordinator pretending to be a head coach.
wab
Mod

HurricaneBear wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:19 am
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:15 pm

Then we are in the same boat as with Lovie, or with Nagy just flipped from O to D. We need a head coach, not a coordinator pretending to be a head coach.
This.
UOK
Site Admin

G08
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:59 am
I predicted early in the process it would be Ed Dodds and Matt Eberflus.

Still feel strongly about it, but Marack O'Bama might be a serious contender as well (h/t @UOK )
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

meh. I'm going to be incredibly underwhelmed if we end up with a Dodds/Eberflus combo.

UOK
Site Admin

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:08 pm
UOK wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:59 am
I predicted early in the process it would be Ed Dodds and Matt Eberflus.

Still feel strongly about it, but Marack O'Bama might be a serious contender as well (h/t @UOK )
I'd be cool with Dodds/Eberflus. Feels like an Angelo/Lovie setup, which was a solid foundation.

Edit: G08, add me on twitter already, yo
mshu7
Pro Bowler

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:11 pm meh. I'm going to be incredibly underwhelmed if we end up with a Dodds/Eberflus combo.
You don’t have to worry about Dodds.

-Shu
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Looks like he is the first guy to get a call back.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I really know nothing about this guy. I’ll research him and have an opinion if he’s hired. I’m confident in my ability to convince my inner homer that he will be good lol. I did it with Nagy and begrudgingly with Trestor the Molestor.

If there are any big Eberflus fans that want to make the case, I’d love to get excited about him so all ears!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

While they didn't cross over directly, how about Kris Richard for DC under a possible Eberflus staff. Spent two years under Marinelli in DAL and also played a big role in the Seahawks great Ds and now the past two years with a great DC in Dennis Allen. Could really bring a nice melding a perspective to pair with Eberflus where it's still his D, but he has a really capable right hand man.

Since Eberflus was initially hired by McDaniels hopefully there's some connections there for his OC.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:50 pm I really know nothing about this guy. I’ll research him and have an opinion if he’s hired. I’m confident in my ability to convince my inner homer that he will be good lol. I did it with Nagy and begrudgingly with Trestor the Molestor.

If there are any big Eberflus fans that want to make the case, I’d love to get excited about him so all ears!
He's a 4 front guy that I know you want. Comes from the Tampa 2 tree of coached having served under Marinelli in DAL.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Interesting. Is Eberflus the kind of guy that will be really hands on for his side of the ball (like a McVay) or more of a generalist (like a Tomlin)?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 7:43 pm Interesting. Is Eberflus the kind of guy that will be really hands on for his side of the ball (like a McVay) or more of a generalist (like a Tomlin)?
No idea.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

No to all coordinators.
G08
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:50 pm I really know nothing about this guy. I’ll research him and have an opinion if he’s hired. I’m confident in my ability to convince my inner homer that he will be good lol. I did it with Nagy and begrudgingly with Trestor the Molestor.

I'm slowly warming up to him. Sounds like he's a no-nonsense defensive coordinator, prides on getting home with 4 and having his defenders watching the ball. Will play a lot of zone but is not afraid to mix it up with man coverage when needed. Strict proponent of the Dungy/Lovie/Marinelli loaf system, this permeates throughout his defense. We will want a stud at 3T and WILL, at minimum (I think Roquan Smith could be elite in this defense). I also heard you want to have a quality nickel in this defense... can Jaylon Johnson move there? Something to think about...

His defenses ranked in points allowed: 10th, 18th, 10th and 9th
His defenses ranked in takeaways: 10th, 10th, 5th, and 2nd (this is fucking juicy)
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
dplank
Hall of Famer

I like all that! That sounds like the style defense that could restore EJax to being a turnover machine. And coupled with Cooler 4 man front comment, Quinn/Mack are pure edge pass rushers. I love it. Agree with wab I think? That we would need a few more traditional LBs on the roster. I wonder if there’s a good fit that Danny might roll into, a year off he might have some fresh legs for a final quality season
wab
Mod

If we don't go with Flores, I'm ok with Eberflus I suppose. I think I'd probably take Daboll over him, and I'm still a Patrick Graham fan. But Eberflus feels like a good hire.
dplank
Hall of Famer

We will be loaded at DE - Mack, Quinn, Edwards Jr, and Trevis Gibson. DT is a worry, Blackson should be good but we don't really have that 3T. Goldman, Hicks, and Nichols may all be gone and Tonga probably backs up Blackson. Could a switch like this extend the life of Hicks? I'd think Attachoa would be gone also not that it's a big deal.

I don't know how to map our LB's into this scheme. But I could definitely see Roquan playing the Urlacher role - or the Briggs role - at an elite level.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Seems like a solid guy and a good DC. But the Bears would set themselves up for his OC to get jobs offers if successful, which we pray would happen. Save and excepting he hires a guy like Jim Caldwell.
Last edited by Grizzled on Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:22 am We will be loaded at DE - Mack, Quinn, Edwards Jr, and Trevis Gibson. DT is a worry, Blackson should be good but we don't really have that 3T. Goldman, Hicks, and Nichols may all be gone and Tonga probably backs up Blackson. Could a switch like this extend the life of Hicks? I'd think Attachoa would be gone also not that it's a big deal.

I don't know how to map our LB's into this scheme. But I could definitely see Roquan playing the Urlacher role - or the Briggs role - at an elite level.
Yeah, DE wouldn't be an issue. I could see Edwards sliding inside on passing downs like the Colts did with Kwity Paye and Tyquan Lewis. Roquan probably plays the Darius Leonard role. Danny T is kind of an odd fit, but moving outside could extend his career a little bit. Iggy has always been miscast inside...I think he could finally realize is potential at WIL. Caleb Johnson probably stays inside too.

No clue what it would mean for Nichols, but he has played well inside before. I think he will test the market though.

I have no idea what kind of offense he'd run.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:22 am We will be loaded at DE - Mack, Quinn, Edwards Jr, and Trevis Gibson. DT is a worry, Blackson should be good but we don't really have that 3T. Goldman, Hicks, and Nichols may all be gone and Tonga probably backs up Blackson. Could a switch like this extend the life of Hicks? I'd think Attachoa would be gone also not that it's a big deal.

I think Smith is probably maximized in a Briggs role, but there is something to be said about putting your best guy in the MLB role in a 2 high scheme. But once your in nickel that difference should be a little minimized and you'll still have plenty of single high looks, definitely wouldn't expect as cover 2 heavy as the Lovie days.