General Manager/Head Coach Interview Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

As to the current pace, if really only seems like they're being outpaced by NYG. That doesn't overly connern me. Maras are basically like the 90s McCakseys at this stage. I'm not worried about them being the market setter among the 4 teams doing a combined search.

Unfortunately they risk being behind the coach only teams and that's an unfortunate reality of house cleaning. Can't rush through the process.
Z Bear
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:16 am
dplank wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:51 am Nuance is not dead and that’s just poor sportsmanship Cooler. Folks are concerned that George, a self professed non football guy, isn’t just going to hire the GM (unavoidable unfortunately) but may also hire the HC also, or at a minimum restrict the options for the GM who he claims he wants to make the hire. The logic is simple, if you know you aren’t qualified then get out of they way and let qualified people do it. Focus on getting those qualified people in place as quickly as you can so you don’t have lost opportunity (I.e. a bunch of coaches already signed elsewhere). Each day they spend time interviewing coaches instead of GMs exasperates this concern. The only way to mitigate it would be to have Polian make the actual decision and let George just have veto rights if he’s strongly opposed for some reason.
I mean he told us flat out he might hire a HC first. So yea it's a concern, I guess, but you're acting like it's... something else?

As to Polian "making the decision" I'm sure he won't, but I'd imagine a HC first hire would require a great amount of consensus including from Polian. So if it happens, we'll see.
He said he would like to hire the GM first but could possibly hire the coach first if one blew them away. Being as no coach is hired yet it is looking fairly certain the GM will come first.
wab
Mod

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:16 am
dplank wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:51 am Nuance is not dead and that’s just poor sportsmanship Cooler. Folks are concerned that George, a self professed non football guy, isn’t just going to hire the GM (unavoidable unfortunately) but may also hire the HC also, or at a minimum restrict the options for the GM who he claims he wants to make the hire. The logic is simple, if you know you aren’t qualified then get out of they way and let qualified people do it. Focus on getting those qualified people in place as quickly as you can so you don’t have lost opportunity (I.e. a bunch of coaches already signed elsewhere). Each day they spend time interviewing coaches instead of GMs exasperates this concern. The only way to mitigate it would be to have Polian make the actual decision and let George just have veto rights if he’s strongly opposed for some reason.
I mean he told us flat out he might hire a HC first. So yea it's a concern, I guess, but you're acting like it's... something else?

As to Polian "making the decision" I'm sure he won't, but I'd imagine a HC first hire would require a great amount of consensus including from Polian. So if it happens, we'll see.
Agreed.

There's just too much handwringing about all of this. None of these decisions are made in a vacuum. No matter what the Bears do, no matter what approach they take, the majority of the people are going to think they are idiots for doing whatever they do.

Fans: lol, the Bears have been doing this wrong for decades
*Bears take a new approach*
Fans: oh, no...not like that.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

They're just doing Zoom meetings. Once they do hire a GM, that person can go through the recorded interviews and basically see a weeks worth of HC interviews on day 1. Not a bad idea IMO as long as they're asking good questions.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

If the Bears really intended to hire a GM with control over all football ops, they would have held off on the HC interviews until the GM could interview his candidates, not Bill Polian's. If George intended to honor this power structure, what legitimate reasons could he have for vetoing the new GM's choice for HC? More football knowledge? Any smart GM candidate (and all of these guys are sharp or wouldn't be in their present positions) should proceed cautiously before being hired by the Bears. OF course, this is trumped by there only being 32 such jobs in the world.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IotaNet
MVP

wab wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:32 amThere's just too much handwringing about all of this. None of these decisions are made in a vacuum. No matter what the Bears do, no matter what approach they take, the majority of the people are going to think they are idiots for doing whatever they do.

Fans: lol, the Bears have been doing this wrong for decades
*Bears take a new approach*
Fans: oh, no...not like that.
RE: "Too much handwringing" I could not agree more. I started to write a whole post about it -- we don't know what they're doing in the hiring process, and they don't care what we think. We're just a bunch of "fans" with an opinion.

I suppose that you can get into an Existentialist discussion about "Fans" being "Fanatics" and as such, "Hand-wringing" (especially online) is out only avenue we have in these matters, and I suppose that's the nature of the deal.

With that said, I don't care who they hire -- I just want to make the playoffs for a change.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:50 am If the Bears really intended to hire a GM with control over all football ops, they would have held off on the HC interviews until the GM could interview his candidates, not Bill Polian's. If George intended to honor this power structure, what legitimate reasons could he have for vetoing the new GM's choice for HC? More football knowledge? Any smart GM candidate (and all of these guys are sharp or wouldn't be in their present positions) should proceed cautiously before being hired by the Bears. OF course, this is trumped by there only being 32 such jobs in the world.
This process isn't binary.

And the idea that the McCaskeys are different than 90% of the other owners in the league is just wrong. Owners are billionaires and the football team is their expensive plaything. GM's aren't any more concerned with the McCaskey's than 30 other NFL owners. We just think they're unique because we're Bears fans.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Z Bear wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:17 am I am sure the Bears (well I should say I hope) are asking what coaches the GM candidates like and asking the coaching candidates who they like as GM. COMPLETELY FABRICARTED SCENARIO: If the Bears really like Flores but Flores says no way in hell I am working for Dodds, then it would make no sense to hire Dodds unless he was far and away the best candidate. Then you scrap Flores and go with the coach Dodds like. But it makes total sense to feel all the candidates out for who they would like to work with on both sides. You do not want another scenario where the new GM is forced into a coach that really does not fit his vision, like Fox and Pace.
Except that this scenario puts George McCaskey in a position where he has to decide which one he believes in more, Flores or Dodds. He shouldn't be making that decision. He should just be focused on finding the GM that he believes in and then getting all the way out of football related stuff, as he himself acknowledged needs to happen.

Cooler, I get what he said in the presser. I guess my point is I'm still bitching about it, I'm not confused by what he said I just think what he said was absolutely wrong and each time he interviews a HC, something we all admit he's not qualified to do, I cringe and just see lost time/opportunity where he should be laser focused finding his GM before coaches start getting snapped up. As another poster put it, it's musical chairs and we do not have a crystal ball to tell us when the music might stop and we're left with sloppy seconds.

I'm really surprised that the board is split at all on this. I don't remember a single person praising George or Ted's football instincts, yet so many of you seem perfectly comfortable with him leading a HC search on top of a GM search. Bizarre to me.
Last edited by dplank on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Grizzled wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:50 am If the Bears really intended to hire a GM with control over all football ops, they would have held off on the HC interviews until the GM could interview his candidates, not Bill Polian's. If George intended to honor this power structure, what legitimate reasons could he have for vetoing the new GM's choice for HC? More football knowledge? Any smart GM candidate (and all of these guys are sharp or wouldn't be in their present positions) should proceed cautiously before being hired by the Bears. OF course, this is trumped by there only being 32 such jobs in the world.
I don't think these early HC interviews should be viewed as winnowimg the list or eliminating candidates or restricting the GMs ultimate choice.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:04 am
Z Bear wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 10:17 am I am sure the Bears (well I should say I hope) are asking what coaches the GM candidates like and asking the coaching candidates who they like as GM. COMPLETELY FABRICARTED SCENARIO: If the Bears really like Flores but Flores says no way in hell I am working for Dodds, then it would make no sense to hire Dodds unless he was far and away the best candidate. Then you scrap Flores and go with the coach Dodds like. But it makes total sense to feel all the candidates out for who they would like to work with on both sides. You do not want another scenario where the new GM is forced into a coach that really does not fit his vision, like Fox and Pace.
Except that this scenario puts George McCaskey in a position where he has to decide which one he believes in more, Flores or Dodds. He shouldn't be making that decision. He should just be focused on finding the GM that he believes in and then getting all the way out of football related stuff, as he himself acknowledged needs to happen.

Cooler, I get what he said in the presser. I guess my point is I'm still bitching about it, I'm not confused by what he said I just think what he said was absolutely wrong and each time he interviews a HC, something we all admit he's not qualified to do, I cringe and just see lost time/opportunity where he should be laser focused finding his GM before coaches start getting snapped up. As another poster put it, it's musical chairs and we do not have a crystal ball to tell us when the music might stop and we're left with sloppy seconds.

I'm really surprised that the board is split at all on this. I don't remember a single person praising George or Ted's football instincts, yet so many of you seem perfectly comfortable with him leading a HC search on top of a GM search. Bizarre to me.
The Bears have been first to the table to eat before and still got a shit sandwich. So I'm really not overly concerned about sloppy seconds if there is a good due diligence going on.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

How is he anymore qualified to hire a GM than a Head Coach? Individually - he's not. But that's why they have a team of people and a consultant in Bill Polian. Is Bill Polian not qualified? Hypothetically - what makes the cap guy from Pittsburgh qualified - because the guy we say isn't qualified (George) gave Khan a hat that says 'GM'?

There is literally nothing they could do that would satisfy fans because the Bears have 35 years of ineptitude. But eventually they'll stumble into a good hire and the narrative will change - even though nothing about the McCaskey's or the process has.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:04 am I'm really surprised that the board is split at all on this. I don't remember a single person praising George or Ted's football instincts, yet so many of you seem perfectly comfortable with him leading a HC search on top of a GM search. Bizarre to me.
I wouldn’t say “perfectly comfortable”, I’m just resigned to the inevitable.

George and Ted will do it in the way they want to do it and there’s no other option.
It is what it is and they’ll hire who they hire.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:09 am

How is he anymore qualified to hire a GM than a Head Coach? Individually - he's not. But that's why they have a team of people and a consultant in Bill Polian. Is Bill Polian not qualified? Hypothetically - what makes the cap guy from Pittsburgh qualified - because the guy we say isn't qualified (George) gave Khan a hat that says 'GM'?

There is literally nothing they could do that would satisfy fans because the Bears have 35 years of ineptitude. But eventually they'll stumble into a good hire and the narrative will change - even though nothing about the McCaskey's or the process has.
He isn't qualified to do either, that's the whole point. If someone isn't qualified, why would you want them making TWO key decisions instead of just ONE?? The GM decision is unavoidable, so there's no point discussing it. Having him also hire a HC though? That is entirely avoidable. He himself said, out loud, that he shouldn't do it. You limit George's football decision, don't amplify them.

And thx Ditka...this is what I figured for a lot of folks. I think folks are more resigned to the reality of it and don't see any point complaining about it. Fair enough. I just can't see DEFENDING it.
Last edited by dplank on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I think, like George, I'd greatly prefer a GM first, but I'm okay with letting it play out on dual tracks.

As to their football instincts, I don't think the mindset would or should be that they're gonna hire a HC because they whipped out a playbook and showed them grow Cover 3 was gonna be the magic sauce or something very football intensive like that. It would be on the basis of them thinking they had a tremendous leader.

Now I'll grant I have reason to doubt Ted/George from a leadership standpoint along with a football standpoint, but I imagine that would be the framing of a HC first hire. And Polian/Soup should be able to provide some football analysis support were the path to look viable.

A lot of the concerns boil down to George. Process can't change that.
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:14 am
I think, like George, I'd greatly prefer a GM first, but I'm okay with letting it play out on dual tracks.

As to their football instincts, I don't think the mindset would or should be that they're gonna hire a HC because they whipped out a playbook and showed them grow Cover 3 was gonna be the magic sauce or something very football intensive like that. It would be on the basis of them thinking they had a tremendous leader.

Now I'll grant I have reason to doubt Ted/George from a leadership standpoint along with a football standpoint, but I imagine that would be the framing of a HC first hire. And Polian/Soup should be able to provide some football analysis support were the path to look viable.

A lot of the concerns boil down to George. Process can't change that.
Process can absolutely change that. Hire you GM first and voila, you've removed George from hiring our HC. I'd be ok with dual tracks as well so long as it was clear George would not hire a HC first nor would be winnow a list down in any way. If that's what's happening, then fine. I don't think it is though, I think they are drawing conclusions about coaches during this process and that will heavily influence the GM decision and, the GM's decision on coach.
WagonForce
MVP

I like the idea of an organization with clear reporting lines and high accountability, which is why I initially bristled at the Bears speaking with HC candidates before putting their GM in place.

After thinking it over, I'm wondering if the situation is a little more complicated than I'd like it to be. Do you take yourself out of the running for one of the premier HC candidates if you put your GM in place first? I.e. someone like Harbaugh may only be interested in taking the job if he is aligned with whomever is handling GM duties 'above' him.

One of the reasons I think Pace was fired along with Nagy is my belief that some blue chip HC candidates may have ruled out the Bears if he remained the GM. This is mostly based on rumors so I don't pretend it's substantiated by much but there were instances like when Fox was reportedly surprised by the club drafting Trubisky that I think might have given experienced candidates pause when considering working with Pace.
Last edited by WagonForce on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I think theres nothing wrong with them talking to as many good football people as they can, in either order. It's not like HC and GM are some completely silo-ed operations. Talking to highly qualified HC candidates could definitely help inform thier overall decision making process IMO. If they see continuity accross HC/GM candidates it should help center their search and see they aren't being sold an empty basket of goods. If they see stark contrast it allows them to question what they're being sold.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:18 am
Process can absolutely change that. Hire you GM first and voila, you've removed George from hiring our HC. I'd be ok with dual tracks as well so long as it was clear George would not hire a HC first nor would be winnow a list down in any way. If that's what's happening, then fine. I don't think it is though, I think they are drawing conclusions about coaches during this process and that will heavily influence the GM decision and, the GM's decision on coach.
I think your biggest mistake is thinking George could just hire the GM and then just step away into the sunset. He HAS to be apart of the full process if he's ultimately responsible for evaluating the GM. You're approaching it like he's gonna assign over ownership.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:03 am
IotaNet wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:38 am You're not supposed to say this, and I may be a troglodyte, but does anyone else have discomfort that Daboll is so obviously out of shape?

It isn't supposed to matter but he definitely doesn't cut the figure. (Neither does Andy Reid or Matt Patricia but still ...)

Feel free to flame away. :backout:
LOL!

I mean yeah, a big guy like that under a lot of stress, that can't be good for him. Hopefully he changes his lifestyle before his health becomes an issue.

But no, there have been a bunch of fat guys as coaches. Some good some bad.
Yer right on about fat guys coaching. Football is a sport where big heavy guys fit in perfectly - I'm sure the nose tackles don't mind playing for an obese coach.
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Guys like Reid, Holmgren, and probably others have been successful in the past, so I don't think it's a major consideration.

Could there be a credibility aspect related to demanding fitness from players when not demonstrated by leadership? There shouldn't be if the players are professionals, but if we're acknowledging that fat shaming is common and accepted, there is potential I suppose. I recall it being a point of emphasis for Lovie to improve his fitness after he was hired, and he did so. Got into great shape.

I guess if you had two candidates who objectively graded out exactly the same otherwise, it could be a factor, just from the standpoint of potential health concerns impacting continuity and the aforementioned, seemingly potential credibility issues. If I were George, I wouldn't waste time thinking about it.
AZ_Bearfan
MVP

I honestly think the "We might hire a HC first." was for Harbaugh and only Harbaugh. If that doesn't happen, I still think a GM is hired first. If that GM is butt-hurt that they have a bunch of Zoom interviews he can sift through, then he's not the collaborative type they're looking for anyways.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:14 am
Hiphopopotamos wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:09 am

He isn't qualified to do either, that's the whole point. If someone isn't qualified, why would you want them making TWO key decisions instead of just ONE?? The GM decision is unavoidable, so there's no point discussing it. Having him also hire a HC though? That is entirely avoidable. He himself said, out loud, that he shouldn't do it. You limit George's football decision, don't amplify them.

And thx Ditka...this is what I figured for a lot of folks. I think folks are more resigned to the reality of it and don't see any point complaining about it. Fair enough. I just can't see DEFENDING it.
Well for starters I guarantee you George is not hiring both. He hired either a HC to steer the ship or a GM to steer the ship and then he's gonna let that person go to work.

Second, following your method Harbaugh is out. And I sure as hell, as I believe you would, be fine with the hiring of Harbaugh before a GM.

Your overthinking it. Alot. The McCaskeys haven't thought nearly as in depth about it as you have. I'm sure George can't wait to get out of the way and "go back to being a fan".
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:01 am It’s the most common and accepted form of discrimination left. And it shows here, if this had been a dig about his sexuality or race you’d have seen members lining up to admonish the poster - even if it was light hearted. But fat shaming? Fair game still.
People have also been concerned by the 67 year old Jim Caldwell and his fitness to be a head coach. Especially, since he left his last job due to health issues.

Despite the propaganda there are several health concerns associated with obesity, I personally don’t think he’s old enough for it to be a major issue at this point but I won’t fault others worrying about it.

And when you’re the head coach of a franchise you become one of the faces of the franchise, so your appearance will be inevitably be dissected and criticized. People did it with Nagy and him being bald and how stupid he looked wearing a visor.
Xee
Site Admin

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:51 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:38 pm

I wonder if they feel strongly about one of the QB prospects. That could push NY as a favored destination for candidates. Or if as rumored with Flores, there's a willingness from ownership to get Watson.
This Post writer seems to think they may go all in on Watson.

Was listening to the latest Hoge and Jahns podcast and really warmed up to the idea of Schoen and Daboll. Also looked into a bit the chances of Watson going to the Giants and it seems the general consensus is it a snowballs chance in hell for the following reasons:
  1. The moves they would need to make to free up the cap space would hamstring their ability to make any other significant changes
  2. Mara would never allow it
  3. Similarly to #1, even if Mara did allow it, they are not just one quarterback away from becoming a contender. Watson would get destroyed behind their O-line.
UOK
Site Admin

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:49 am If I was a gambler I'd take a shot at those Eberflus odds.
Hope any of you gamblers took my advice and threw a bet down on Eberflus. Those odds ain't gonna stay that good now
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

So the McCaskey brain trust is doing second interviews for head coaches before they’ve even completed their first round of GM (or head coaching interviews)?

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. They are going to epically screw this up aren’t they?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:16 pm So the McCaskey brain trust is doing second interviews for head coaches before they’ve even completed their first round of GM (or head coaching interviews)?

I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. They are going to epically screw this up aren’t they?
Will they screw up their hire? Probably.

Does this announcement bring some additional concern. Yes.

In context that he's gotten a second interview with Jax and they may want to try and protect their spot in the market and we don't know when next week and a GM could possibly be in place by then... We should just wait and let it play out IMO. Criticize after.

Could they fall ass backwards into the next Belichick? *Dumb and Dumber so you're telling me there's a chance gif*
IotaNet
MVP

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:16 pm So the McCaskey brain trust is doing second interviews for head coaches before they’ve even completed their first round of GM (or head coaching interviews)?

OR they might be leaning toward Dodds as their GM and creating a package deal. That they leaked this COULD BE a signal to Dodds.

Dodds could have said, "BTW - I really want Matt Eberflus as my HC." This could easily be the Bears signaling in that direction.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

IotaNet wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 12:30 pm

OR they might be leaning toward Dodds as their GM. That they leaked this COULD BE a signal to Dodds.
That's in the range of explanations for sure. Also possible he's been shortlisted by multiple guys.

The other consideration is that I don't think they would be able to do second interviews with any playoff coach. So the sample group is automatically not representative of the entire coach field. Though certainly to the extent that he has a 2nd and not say Flores could be informative. But all leaks don't come out at the same time either. This may just be the first.