General Manager/Head Coach Interview Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

It's not surprising that the Bears are looking at people from organizations ran by people they respect. Ownership admires the Saints and Steelers, and Polian has obvious ties to Indy.
UOK
Site Admin

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Read into Eberflus and Brown both interviewing on Monday if you desire...

Leftwich might be on the schedule, but no one else rumored to be on the docket today, after some reports last night indicated Brown was gonna be today.
UOK
Site Admin

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

If Eberflus/Brown is the end result it feels a little less like "prearranged marriage" and more "head coach picked GM" which might be a narrow, but important distinction. If that's what is coming to pass, hope they don't BS fans. Throw an EVP title at Eberflus and tell us why this made sense to you to make him in charge of football ops.

I'm still not convinced them on the same day isn't just coincidence. I am confused about why it would take so long for Brown to get on the schedule though. Playoff coaches I can understand. I mean I guess maybe this is Browns busy season with player evals, but we're still talking a brief zoom into interview right?
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:36 pm If Eberflus/Brown is the end result it feels a little less like "prearranged marriage" and more "head coach picked GM" which might be a narrow, but important distinction. If that's what is coming to pass, hope they don't BS fans. Throw an EVP title at Eberflus and tell us why this made sense to you to make him in charge of football ops.

I'm still not convinced them on the same day isn't just coincidence. I am confused about why it would take so long for Brown to get on the schedule though. Playoff coaches I can understand. I mean I guess maybe this is Browns busy season with player evals, but we're still talking a brief zoom into interview right?
If Brown is the guy I don’t think the head coach picked him. Brown was literally the first name leaked for the Bears GM search.

If this happens I’d say it’s more along the lines of George fell in love with him on paper because he previously worked for the Bears and they’re pushing Eberflus onto him because they are morons that never learn.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Unless there is some agressive back channeling, they haven't even talked to Brown though.

Maybe we can get a McGinnis situation again though :lol:
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:44 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:36 pm If Eberflus/Brown is the end result it feels a little less like "prearranged marriage" and more "head coach picked GM" which might be a narrow, but important distinction. If that's what is coming to pass, hope they don't BS fans. Throw an EVP title at Eberflus and tell us why this made sense to you to make him in charge of football ops.

If Brown is the guy I don’t think the head coach picked him. Brown was literally the first name leaked for the Bears GM search.

If this happens I’d say it’s more along the lines of George fell in love with him on paper because he previously worked for the Bears and they’re pushing Eberflus onto him because they are morons that never learn.
This. Brown was first hired by Polian and then worked for (7?) years for the Bears. There is clearly a familiarity there. And there may have already been numerous back-channel discussions between the two parties that make the scheduling of the 'official' interview less of an urgency. Might also be the reason Dodds backed out.

If it is Brown/Eberflus then I don't have any doubt that this is being driven by Brown.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 1:50 pm Unless there is some agressive back channeling, they haven't even talked to Brown though.

Maybe we can get a McGinnis situation again though :lol:
I was working in a restaurant kitchen in Joliet when that all went down. Remember listening to the radio waiting for the press conference to start and then all hell broke loose and suddenly Dave McGinnis had left the building.

Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:23 am
Xee wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:55 am

I feel like the most Bears thing to do would be, after all these interviews, to promote Champ Kelly to GM and then he brings on a HC no one's heard of.

All indications are the execs have finally gotten the message but there's a lot of precedent to show the above is a possibility.
Champ Kelly promotes Sean Desai?
I believe Vegas is interviewing Kelly and the Seahawks are interviewing Desai.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

He seems to be an excellent DC, not so much a HC. I'd rather they were looking at more offensive guys to bring in if they want to expand the interview pool.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
wab
Mod

At least these guys are considered good candidates. Not out of left field guys like Emery/Trestman.
dplank
Hall of Famer

If we're not going to get Harbaugh, I'd be fine with this as a consolation prize.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Josh McDaniels level disfunction with this guy when he was the head guy for the Raiders. Tied with Greg Schiano for the biggest dick I met during my 7 year stint working around these people. An absolute human cunt. And was known as such amongst the hundreds of people I met around the league, mostly worker bee types in tech/video - you learn a LOT listening to those guys as they transcend coaching staffs (meaning, coach gets fired, tech crew stays on - most work for their teams for 20-30 years) - so they have really strong insights into these people as they see countless of them flow through their doors over the years. And, it's not unheard of for them to be called by prospective teams to be asked about how the coach treated the staff, what type of building culture did he set. I know for a fact that one tech guy in video prevented Greg Schiano from landing an NFL gig because they didn't want his toxic culture in the building.

Maybe he's learned, he was awful young to be the head guy in Oakland. But he was such an unreasonable fuckwad, my guess is it's in his DNA. Would truly be a bitter pill to swallow if we hired him.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

I think Brown has already interviewed.

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I swore there was some rule that they had to communicate interviews, but maybe thats not true. Never saw official text of such a rule.
UOK
Site Admin

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Edited a duplicate post here, sorry.
Last edited by o-pus #40 in B major on Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:00 pm Call it a Bears move but I will be pretty pleased if they promote Kelly and Keep Desai. Stable organizations stay healthy by retaining their own worthy middle-managers and letting them blossom.

Blow up the Nagulus, sink the Pacer, but please don't take away the good young sergeants and captains.
Maybe, but they still could obviously benefit from fresh ideas.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:49 pm

I think Brown has already interviewed.
It’s like they’re just intentionally messing with us.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:29 pm

At least these guys are considered good candidates. Not out of left field guys like Emery/Trestman.
I'm not definite that I disagree, but was Emery really considered that out of left field?

He was a Director of Scouting for 8 years under 2 teams and 6 years with the Bears.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

• My confidence that I will hate the process and/or the structure of what the Bears come up with is really growing. Maybe 90%ish now.
  • I'm cringing about how extensive their interview lists are. Not only does it burn a lot of time, but (I forget who proposed this first) it really does feel like the complete circus shitshow they (yes, Pace & Nagy, not the McCaskeys, but it's the same awful setup) had when they were looking for a K to replace Cody Parkey.
  • Also cringing about having 2nd interviews for HCs, without even having a GM lined up. Why? Just get your GM and let him take over. Any in demand GM is going to say "go fuck yourself" if they hire the HC first and force it on him. Which means either a "happy to be here" GM or one that is "chosen" by/with the HC.
  • Have I mentioned how much I hate HCs running the draft or outranking the GM? Man, I hate that shit.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Do you actually think they are putting all their business out there? Selective releases, just like coaches and the injury report.

r e l a x
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Yeah they’re keeping it quiet about Harbaugh, all the other interview releases are deliberate misinformation
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

It would make zero sense for either party to reveal their negotiating details.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The McCaskey's are totally incapable of playing 4D Chess.

All of us here, I'm guessing, have lived through the last 20 years + of Bears football so I don't feel obligated to list it all. I'm certain you guys know.

Everytime the McCaskey's try and do something intelligent they get shit on their thumb. It's what they do.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I was just thinking that maybe they are talking with Harbaugh, there’s mutual interest but he wants to know the GM situation first - and so we are trying to match them up and will announce both signings simultaneously.
Eriebear
Journeyman

GM 1st! Then not Fraiser ! Really , It's great to be a DC when you have a great O- Team. Of Couse the Bears will sign him as HC , He was a Bear , and that what's counts ! His body of work don't mean anything. Hey Bears ! Our O sucks ! Improve it!
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

I haven't really been paying much attention to what other teams have been doing, but just saw that the Texans have interviewed both Hines Ward and Josh McCown for their HC position. Given their lack of coaching experience those are two way outside the box candidates! Apparently they interviewed McCown last year too. I always thought he'd make a great coach one day, but jumping straight into a HC position? That would be a mighty tall order.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Whew, back on track with two a days.