General Manager/Head Coach Interview Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:18 am
IotaNet wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:11 am

That ain't "whatever." Thats inspirational leadership.

Well, I was making a joke, because as a pro, he leadershipped himself right to the bench behind David Garrard.

Those MAC games were awesome. Big Ben playing at Miami of Ohio. I still watch MAC games. They are usually on like Tues or Thurs nights on ESPN. Really some high quality football.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:34 am
I've been down with Caldwell for a while. No doubt he could put together a good staff.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
IotaNet
MVP

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:49 am I've been down with Caldwell for a while. No doubt he could put together a good staff.
dplank wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:40 am I'm coming around on Caldwell more and more every day.
I am too. Dude is respected, he's been around, he can build a culture and he brings gravitas. And don't talk to me about "Yeah, but John Fox." John Fox was seen as an overly conservative, behind-the-times guy before we hired him. And that's who he turned out to be. Oh, and how many Super Bowl rings did he have? Caldwell has two.

Folks were ready to accept Jim Harbaugh as a short-term fix until he (inevitably) wore out his welcome. I can take Caldwell for the next few years as someone who can build an offense around JF1 the way he did when he was OC for Peyton Manning.
Last edited by IotaNet on Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Caldwell. Jesus, no.
I mean we have our pick of former NFCN mediocre has-beens, but it seems like we should be aiming just a little higher.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Schefter saying that Jags haven't decided yet.

Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
wab
Mod

I think it's going to be Quinn. He checks all the apparent boxes...

Caldwell does too though.
IotaNet
MVP

wab wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 am I think it's going to be Quinn. He checks all the apparent boxes...

I could be happy with either of them. Some of the scuttlebutt I'm reading is saying that Quinn is pulling together a strong staff.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:40 am
UOK wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:34 am
I bet Trestman could too.

Anybody want a second bite of that apple?
It's out of the question because of his age and unpleasant history here, but 2013 Trestman as the OC would be fascinating to watch.

Nagy got 2 high draft picks and 2 handpicked solid vets and managed to get shitty production from all 4.
Trestman took an out of pro football journeyman with career numbers in the 70s, got a 100+ rating out of him, and made him a rich man who's now in serious considerations for coaching jobs.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:53 am I think it's going to be Quinn. He checks all the apparent boxes...

I'd be fine with Eberflus or Quinn.

Oddly enough I think I want Eberflus the most.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I know Quinn has his own staff, but Caldwell on the staff as OC or some other position would rock too.
wab
Mod

I prefer Eberflus to all the finalists. I just think the Bears are going to look for a guy with previous HC experience.
UOK
Site Admin

The only issues I have with Caldwell are his age/health and the negative perception of him as John Fox 2.0.

Ideally Caldwell comes in, brings in an excellent staff, and grooms an heir apparent to take over once he retires.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

UOK wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:05 pm The only issues I have with Caldwell are his age/health and the negative perception of him as John Fox 2.0.

Ideally Caldwell comes in, brings in an excellent staff, and grooms an heir apparent to take over once he retires.
Caldwell’s age and the fact that he’s been out of the league for years are concerns. So probably doesn’t have his finger on the pulse of young up and coming assistants.
Z Bear
MVP

I really do not favor Caldwell, but there are two things that stick out to me where I could support him:

1) Detroit Lions have had 4 winning seasons in the last 20 years, Caldwell was coach for 3 of them (overall 36 - 28 record with them)

2) He is the only offensive candidate that made it to round 2
Burl
Crafty Veteran

Z Bear wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:14 pm I really do not favor Caldwell, but there are two things that stick out to me where I could support him:

1) Detroit Lions have had 4 winning seasons in the last 20 years, Caldwell was coach for 3 of them (overall 36 - 28 record with them)

Caldwell was mediocre in Detroit. Let's not forget the this best year was his first year where they went 11-5, he then Nagy'd it in going 7-9 then 9-7 and 9-7 respectively. It's not terrible, but it seems like that's what we're trying to overcome, not settle for.

And unlike Nagy, he didn't have Mitch Trubisky and Foles/Dalton as his QBs. He had Stafford in his prime, plus two years of Calvin Johnson, and overall only put up a middling offense during his tenure.

I'm not saying he can't coach. He's who you hire when all the other options are off the table or if your team was just coached by Trestman for several years and just needs a steady presence to right the culture.
I was actually higher on Caldwell until I started looking at his time in Detroit a little more closely.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

wab wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:00 pm I prefer Eberflus to all the finalists. I just think the Bears are going to look for a guy with previous HC experience.
I guess Im in agreement. We've seen what the others have to offer as they've both lead teams for multiple years with credible QBs at the helm.

I'm mainly attracted to Ebefrlus in that I know nothing about him other than that Colts fans are like "Meh, let him go". Pretty sad state of affairs IMO. Damn Im negative over this and I dont want to be. I wan't to be excited.
dplank
Hall of Famer

I'm surprised there's been absolutely no chatter around Fitzgerald or Day. Even if my Harbaugh dream is dashed, those two guys would excite me a lot more than Eberflus would. I know jack squat about Eberflus, I hear all the nice talk but bottom line he's totally unproven.

I'm coming around on both Quinn and Caldwell, particularly if they bring strong staff's with them. Caldwell's "I'm building an offense around Fields skills" absolutely resonates with me, it means we'll run him more for sure as his legs are a key skill. With Quinn - I gotta know who the OC will be. Same with Eberflus I guess. But goddammit, Day or Harbaugh would be such wins for this organization!
IotaNet
MVP

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:38 pmI'm surprised there's been absolutely no chatter around Fitzgerald or Day. Even if my Harbaugh dream is dashed, those two guys would excite me a lot more than Eberflus would. I know jack squat about Eberflus, I hear all the nice talk but bottom line he's totally unproven.
A rookie GM paired with a "New to the NFL" head coach? I think that would be too heavy a lift.

Besides the fact that only a handful of guys of made the transition from college to the pros successfully, with a "first time in role" GM, who's going to provide any kind of cultural leadership? I'm not advocating John Fox 2.0 (which I strongly feel Jim Caldwell is NOT) but I think Poles with either Day or Fitzgerald is simply too green an organization.

- Colin Powell
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:38 pm I'm surprised there's been absolutely no chatter around Fitzgerald or Day. Even if my Harbaugh dream is dashed, those two guys would excite me a lot more than Eberflus would. I know jack squat about Eberflus, I hear all the nice talk but bottom line he's totally unproven.
I'm kind of surprised there's so much pushback in here against first time head coaches. 14 teams in the playoffs this year. Of those, 10 of them featured coaches who that was their first head coaching gig.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I’d be underwhelmed to say the least.

However, results speak louder than anything else and that’s what I’ll judge the new HC on.

I do believe the Bears can do better and it sets an awfully mediocre tone from the new GM.

Is this what we can expect from Ryan Poles?
JFC?
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

Burl wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:23 pm
Z Bear wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 12:14 pm I really do not favor Caldwell, but there are two things that stick out to me where I could support him:

Caldwell was mediocre in Detroit. Let's not forget the this best year was his first year where they went 11-5, he then Nagy'd it in going 7-9 then 9-7 and 9-7 respectively. It's not terrible, but it seems like that's what we're trying to overcome, not settle for.

And unlike Nagy, he didn't have Mitch Trubisky and Foles/Dalton as his QBs. He had Stafford in his prime, plus two years of Calvin Johnson, and overall only put up a middling offense during his tenure.

I'm not saying he can't coach. He's who you hire when all the other options are off the table or if your team was just coached by Trestman for several years and just needs a steady presence to right the culture.
I was actually higher on Caldwell until I started looking at his time in Detroit a little more closely.
I kind of feel like "mediocre in Detroit" is equivalent to "outstanding" anywhere else.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

If it isn't Daboll, I'd take Caldwell. He's very strong at developing QBs. He has to bring on a young guy to develop as a sucessor, I can see him working for only 3 or 4 more years. I know Quinn is solid, Eberflus is an up and comer but I want an offensive guy to take over. At least an offensive guy who's competent.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

No one has mentioned Day as a candidate for any job. He has Urban Meyer written all over him in my book (not the jagbag lifestyle, the inability to resonate with professionals). Kind of hard to adjust to the NFL world when you pick and choose (thru recruiting) the best players in the country and you have dominated the conference for quite awhile. He comes to the NFL, lacks the talent needed to win and realizes he is not in Columbus anymore.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I'm still on the Eberflus bus. But I was also on the Nagy bus, so there's that. I think Quinn would be good, but I like what Eberflus did with the Colts defense over the last few years. Poles and Eberflus have developed a solid professional relationship over the last few years, and they are very familiar with one another. If you're looking for they candidate that happens to already be on Poles radar, Eberflus is the guy. To be honest, I'd be surprised if Eberflus is allowed to leave without a contract.

Per Breer of SI;
"Eberflus is scheduled to have his second interview with the Bears on Wednesday. Poles is believed to be running that interview but the two are already connected. According to Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated, Poles and Eberflus have built a professional relationship over the recent years. That built relationship between Eberflus and Poles could be the reason why the Colts’ defensive coordinator remains a candidate for the position."

He would also check the, supported by Polian and therefore McCaskey, box.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:33 pm If it isn't Daboll, I'd take Caldwell. He's very strong at developing QBs. He has to bring on a young guy to develop as a sucessor, I can see him working for only 3 or 4 more years. I know Quinn is solid, Eberflus is an up and comer but I want an offensive guy to take over. At least an offensive guy who's competent.
I think you make the best case for Caldwell right here.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:34 pm
Grizzled wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:33 pm If it isn't Daboll, I'd take Caldwell. He's very strong at developing QBs. He has to bring on a young guy to develop as a sucessor, I can see him working for only 3 or 4 more years. I know Quinn is solid, Eberflus is an up and comer but I want an offensive guy to take over. At least an offensive guy who's competent.
I think you make the best case for Caldwell right here.
Caldwell's record as Lions coach was 36–28 (.563), making him the first non-interim Lions coach to leave the team with a winning record since Joe Schmidt, who led the team from 1967 to 1972 and the best winning percentage for the franchise since the '50s. He was the OC for the 2012 SB champion Ravens. He was on Indy's 2006 SB winning staff (boo!). The Bears have JF on a rookie contract for 4 more years. Hopefully by the time it's over, they'll make the decision to back up the Brinks truck to pay him. In the meantime, though, their priorities are to develop him, bring in other players with the savings, and protect his butt from what happened this year.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I wanted someone who’s likely to stick around for 10yrs. Someone who could mentor Fields and help him reach his potential.

With Cauldwell we’d be doing this again, starting again in 3-4 years time due to his advancing years.

I feel it’s a missed opportunity.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

The score just played an interview with Quinn talking about what he did after he got fired in Atlanta. It was pretty compelling.

The gist of it was he watched film of his defenses going back to 2013 and current offenses to improve his scheme. And he asked his former assistants and players to critique him and tell him where he could improve.

But if you can you might want to listen to it, it’s encouraging if he ends up being the guy.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:58 pm I wanted someone who’s likely to stick around for 10yrs. Someone who could mentor Fields and help him reach his potential.

With Cauldwell we’d be doing this again, starting again in 3-4 years time due to his advancing years.

I feel it’s a missed opportunity.
He wouldn't be the oldest coach in the league or anything, he's 67. Carroll is 70, Belichick and Arians are 69. Romeo Crennel was hired at 73. And really, it's hard to think past a 5 year window in the NFL anyways - the odds of Eberflus or anyone else becoming a 10 year coach here is pretty slim. I want whoever will get the most out of Justin Fields, so I'm looking 3 years out when his rookie deal is up.
dave99
Assistant Coach

From the Athletic:
Word on the beat: “Dan Quinn deserves to be one of the most popular names in this cycle of head coaching searches. In his first year as Cowboys defensive coordinator, he turned arguably the worst defense in franchise history into a good unit that held opponents to 21 points per game (seventh best in the NFL), nine points fewer than the team averaged in 2020.

“His best trait this season was getting players to buy into his system, which specifically led to huge seasons from defensive rookie of the year front-runner Micah Parsons, NFL interception leader Trevon Diggs and veteran safety Jayron Kearse, the team’s leading tackler. Quinn quickly earned the respect of the entire roster with his hands-on coaching style. His most notable moment was leading the Cowboys to a 27-17 victory in Week 13 at New Orleans while head coach Mike McCarthy was out after testing positive for COVID-19.” — Jon Machota, The Athletic Cowboys writer
This year, Quinn is arguably the hottest candidate on the interview circuit. He interviewed with the Giants in person last week and he’s scheduled to meet with the Broncos later this week — that’s if the Bears allow him to leave Lake Forest. Quinn also declined the Jaguars’ interview request.

Quinn’s head-coaching experience with the Falcons and what he learned from his mistakes could be appealing for the Bears. And his ability to build a capable coaching staff could be what separates him from Eberflus and Caldwell.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne