General Manager/Head Coach Interview Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears & the National Football League

Moderator: wab

Arkansasbear
MVP

What's the window to interview all these assistants that are still in the playoffs?
Artbest
Player of the Month

IMO, based on how fast the Bears are moving in their GM search, the list they're working from was put together some time ago.

The coaching list seems to be a wide net - some are probably more serious than others...guessing they never counted on Flores being available.
Why no McDaniels? Has anyone requested permission to interview McDaniels?

Jeff Ireland? Unlike Ryan Pace, his resume goes well beyond the Saints. He seemingly would work best with a head coach who had final say over the roster ala...

Jim Harbaugh, whom I think is going to stay at Michigan.

I'm sending an Ed Dodds/Matt Eberflus or Ed Dodds/Brian Flores pairing
thunderspirit
MVP

UOK wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:31 pm McDaniels shouldn't be considered seriously as a candidate anywhere. After Denver and especially Indy, he doesn't deserve to be trusted.
Agreed.

Good coach, but not someone I'd consider reliable.
KFFL refugee.
Fornerly MotML Great Sept Embers. I accept all blame for the shape the team Umbali inherited is in.

This space for rent.
Burl
Pro Bowler

They're not going to interview Harbaugh?
Or do they not have to report interviews with college coaches?
Or, are they prioritizing coaches on playoff teams first so they can fit them in before playoffs start?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Pro Bowler

In my humble opinion the GM and the HC have to have a good chemistry which is extremely difficult to ensure when you’re interviewing for 2 posts.

The GM is most important, if ou get that wrong it will put you back a long way.
The GM should be involved in selecting the HC.

Perhaps the bears are planning a 2 stage interview process for HC. A shortlisting interview and once the GM is appointed then a second interview of the shortlisted candidates?
Z Bear
MVP

So the people wanting Flores....what is the difference (besides the Colts part) about him?
Arkansasbear
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:32 pm In my humble opinion the GM and the HC have to have a good chemistry which is extremely difficult to ensure when you’re interviewing for 2 posts.

Perhaps the bears are planning a 2 stage interview process for HC. A shortlisting interview and once the GM is appointed then a second interview of the shortlisted candidates?
I wonder if in the interview process they are asking potential coaches who would be the GMs they'd like to work with and vice versa. That way if the hone in on a particular GM they have a list of coaches they know he likes and can cross reference with the coaches that like him.

They'd hire the GM and do a second round of interviews with the coaches that line up with the GM they pick.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Pro Bowler

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:16 pm
Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:32 pm In my humble opinion the GM and the HC have to have a good chemistry which is extremely difficult to ensure when you’re interviewing for 2 posts.

I wonder if in the interview process they are asking potential coaches who would be the GMs they'd like to work with and vice versa. That way if the hone in on a particular GM they have a list of coaches they know he likes and can cross reference with the coaches that like him.

They'd hire the GM and do a second round of interviews with the coaches that line up with the GM they pick.
Yes that might work as a similar idea.
Artbest
Player of the Month

Per Dan Pompeii, the current interviews, particularly for head coach, are on Zoom and are basically screening interviews. The next step will be bringing folks they liked in for in-person discussions.

Unless a head coaching candidate knocks their proverbial socks off, I'm guessing they'll hire the GM 1st (I think that gets done FAST) and he'll take the info gleaned from the Zoom calls, discuss his views on these candidates and possibly suggest others to speak with, and the new GM will then be part of the in-person interviews.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:44 pm
Z Bear wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:22 pm Wondering why no McDaniels.
I'm more shocked no Riddick.
They don't have to submit a request to speak with Riddick. I have no idea if they intend to interview him - but they can talk to him anytime he wants and they don't have to go through NFL administrative channels. It might not leak until after they speak (if it happens).
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
GSH
Crafty Veteran

Burl wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:16 pm They're not going to interview Harbaugh?
Or, are they prioritizing coaches on playoff teams first so they can fit them in before playoffs start?
i want to know the answer to this too
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Burl wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:16 pm They're not going to interview Harbaugh?
Assuming Harbaugh does speak with the Bears he'll want to keep it quiet (unless he takes the job). 'Coach 'X' is going to the NFL' is a big part of negative recruiting in college.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
The Marshall Plan
Head Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:19 pm

Just make sure they do that mock press conference. You never know how these candidates are gonna act in front of the media. ;)
The Bear-Anon Sorcerer

Vote Brian Flores: For a Bullshit Free Bears Organization
wab
Mod

With the barrage of candidates being thrown around, I'm wondering when an actual GM/HC will be hired. Any bets on when the announcement will be made? Fox was hired on 1/16 and Nagy was hired on 1/8. Hopefully we have someone in place before the end of the month.
UOK
Site Admin

wab wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:54 pm With the barrage of candidates being thrown around, I'm wondering when an actual GM/HC will be hired. Any bets on when the announcement will be made? Fox was hired on 1/16 and Nagy was hired on 1/8. Hopefully we have someone in place before the end of the month.
I'm gonna say first or second week of February, but maybe that's way too late.
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
HisRoyalSweetness
MVP

UOK wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:50 am
Candidates for the Bears vacant General Manager and Head Coach positions continue to come in thick and fast. The Bears have just announced the latest interviewees. Here’s what George McCaskey had to say about them:
All these candidates tick different boxes for us. I’ll begin with the candidates for our General Manager position.
  • Christopher Hayes - He’s the General Manager of Andy Reid’s favorite restaurants, Fiorella’s Jack Stack. Apparently his staff has picked up an incredible number of tips from Coach Reid over the years and tips from a Super Bowl winning coach would be invaluable to our organization.
  • James Edward Finks of Laughlin, Nevada - As far as we know he has no background in football. In fact we don’t really know anything about him at all. His name fits though so we believe he's worth speaking to.
  • Bill Burch - Bill is the Facility Manager with the Buccaneers. He knows how to run a building.
  • Craig Allen - Craig is the Vice President of Operations for A+ Insulation. He knows how to lead a team and no-one has more experience with drafts.
  • Barack Obama - He used to run the country. How difficult can it be to run a football team after that? As Commander-in-Chief he has plenty of experience as a leader of men and that’s key for us. Plus he’s a Bears fan, so he’s clearly a man of high character and as you know we that’s something we place a lot of value on.
  • Jenna Jameson - Ted tells me she’s been hugely successful in her chosen business. He’s a big fan. Apparently she’s made quite a lot of analytics videos. I think that’s what he said; it was ‘anal’ something. Ted’s got them in his extensive collection and is going to lend them to me. He says I’ll be amazed at Jenna’s expertise and I’ll get really excited by her when I watch them.
Now turning to our latest batch of candidates to be our next head coach:
  • Dave Leach - Dave’s the CEO and President of Greyhound Lines. We’re excited about the quality of coaches he would be able to hire.
  • Cindy Thibault - The Director of Catering for the Patriots, we’re interested to see what Cindy brings to the table. (Rumour has it she can draw up every play in Bill Belichick’s playbook on a plate using spaghetti and meatballs.)
  • Tom Stoppard - Tom’s getting on a bit, but has an impressive track record in devising successful plays.
  • Pete Buttigieg - He’s the Secretary of the US Department of Transportation, which is responsible for setting time throughout the country. We believe Pete would solve all our recent clock management issues.
  • Daniel Radcliffe - I’m not familiar with himself, but Ted tells me his plays are wizard (at least I think that’s what he said) so he might be able to bring that bit of magic to our team we’ve been lacking.
UOK
Site Admin

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:54 pm

Candidates for the Bears vacant General Manager and Head Coach positions continue to come in thick and fast. The Bears have just announced the latest interviewees. Here’s what George McCaskey had to say about them:
All these candidates tick different boxes for us. I’ll begin with the candidates for our General Manager position.
  • Christopher Hayes - He’s the General Manager of Andy Reid’s favorite restaurants, Fiorella’s Jack Stack. Apparently his staff has picked up an incredible number of tips from Coach Reid over the years and tips from a Super Bowl winning coach would be invaluable to our organization.
  • James Edward Finks of Laughlin, Nevada - As far as we know he has no background in football. In fact we don’t really know anything about him at all. His name fits though so we believe he's worth speaking to.
  • Bill Burch - Bill is the Facility Manager with the Buccaneers. He knows how to run a building.
  • Craig Allen - Craig is the Vice President of Operations for A+ Insulation. He knows how to lead a team and no-one has more experience with drafts.
  • Barack Obama - He used to run the country. How difficult can it be to run a football team after that? As Commander-in-Chief he has plenty of experience as a leader of men and that’s key for us. Plus he’s a Bears fan, so he’s clearly a man of high character and as you know we that’s something we place a lot of value on.
  • Jenna Jameson - Ted tells me she’s been hugely successful in her chosen business. He’s a big fan. Apparently she’s made quite a lot of analytics videos. I think that’s what he said; it was ‘anal’ something. Ted’s got them in his extensive collection and is going to lend them to me. He says I’ll be amazed at Jenna’s expertise and I’ll get really excited by her when I watch them.
Now turning to our latest batch of candidates to be our next head coach:
  • Dave Leach - Dave’s the CEO and President of Greyhound Lines. We’re excited about the quality of coaches he would be able to hire.
  • Cindy Thibault - The Director of Catering for the Patriots, we’re interested to see what Cindy brings to the table. (Rumour has it she can draw up every play in Bill Belichick’s playbook on a plate using spaghetti and meatballs.)
  • Tom Stoppard - Tom’s getting on a bit, but has an impressive track record in devising successful plays.
  • Pete Buttigieg - He’s the Secretary of the US Department of Transportation, which is responsible for setting time throughout the country. We believe Pete would solve all our recent clock management issues.
  • Daniel Radcliffe - I’m not familiar with himself, but Ted tells me his plays are wizard (at least I think that’s what he said) so he might be able to bring that bit of magic to our team we’ve been lacking.
Just got off the phone with George, had some to add:
  • A WOODEN SPOON: "I like the simplicity of what they bring to the table, and our conversations indicated the spoon is rich with football knowledge."
  • JOHN MADDEN: "Coach Madden would be an invaluable resource to our organization, and - one second - what is it? He's what? Really? Does that mean he can't make it to the interview?"
  • THE BANJO KID FROM DELIVERANCE: "I felt I could connect to him on an intellectual level, and there's definitely a chance for a great relationship to form in this organization."
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
wab
Mod

While I understand I'm reading way too much into this...but a lot of these candidates are rooted in the 4-3 (not that base defense matters much these days).
TheWorldBreaker
Assistant Coach

UOK wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:18 pm
wab wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:54 pm With the barrage of candidates being thrown around, I'm wondering when an actual GM/HC will be hired. Any bets on when the announcement will be made? Fox was hired on 1/16 and Nagy was hired on 1/8. Hopefully we have someone in place before the end of the month.
I'm gonna say first or second week of February, but maybe that's way too late.
I really don’t think they can wait that long on the GM. The college all star games start in less than a month, the combine is March 1st and free agency is about two months away.

They would really be putting that guy behind the 8 ball if they waited until the second week of February to hire him.

If they don’t at least have their finalists for the GM job by the end of next week I would be surprised and a little concerned.
dplank
Head Coach

Anyone else find it odd that the Bears are interviewing every one of our 330M US citizens EXCEPT for Jim Harbaugh? The best candidates aren’t even being mentioned (Harbaugh, Day, McDaniels, Fitzgerald).

Re: GM timing, the rest of the staff is still there to do all that stuff until he is hired.
Grizzled
MVP

Throw in Eberflus and Quinn to the interview process according to The Athletic.

Here's one kind of out of the box: Josh McCown.
The solution to the mess that is the Bears organization would be to sell the team. If, however, it was placed in a receivership, well, being the Bears, we know it would be dropped
dave99
Journeyman

From a Sun Times piece by Mark Potash:
It was a cringe-worthy moment in a press conference of cringe-worthy moments. When Bears chairman George McCaskey was asked what qualities would compel him to take the unorthodox route and hire a head coach before a general manager, he responded: “We’ll know one when we see him.”
And as Lewis Carroll famously pointed out:
If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there.
TheWorldBreaker
Assistant Coach

dplank wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:26 pm Anyone else find it odd that the Bears are interviewing every one of our 330M US citizens EXCEPT for Jim Harbaugh? The best candidates aren’t even being mentioned (Harbaugh, Day, McDaniels, Fitzgerald).

Re: GM timing, the rest of the staff is still there to do all that stuff until he is hired.
If a college coach were interviewing I would think they would want to keep it really quiet until they got the job. Just to not risk any recruiting issues, especially in the transfer portal era.

It doesn’t look like McDaniels got any requests. I think the Indianapolis thing might have soured teams on him more than it did with fans.
TheWorldBreaker
Assistant Coach

Bears requested an interview with Joe Schoen Bills assistant GM. At least they’re being pretty thorough.
dplank
Head Coach

Typical Bears, they are the “team de jeur” to copy. Was KC last time.
dplank
Head Coach

Good point on the college guys, not hearing rumors of them interviewing anywhere
Artbest
Player of the Month

The Bears are (literally) talking to every top (named) GM candidate "out there" - including two former GMs (Smith and Ireland) and the guy some people consider to be the "hottest name" (Dodds). It's hard to credibly complain about this list .

As for head coach, I hope they reach out to Harbaugh...but now there are indications that he's negotiating an extension at Michigan.

I am a bit surprised they haven't (yet) asked to speak to Josh McDaniels...but, to my knowledge, no one has.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Harbaugh, college status, he finally beat OSU, he was placed on god status. I believe he was using the NFL for a money grab from Michigan.
pus
MVP

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:19 pm

Now wait just a minute. It might workin theory but nobody does that in interviews. Maybe on Seinfield but not in real life.

I remember how a friend of mine chased away a great candidate by asking him how he felt about specific people he was going to have to work with.

Interviewees get up and walk out on stuff like that. I have seen it.
It's football, it's not brain surgery. Have some fun." - Mike Ditka

Grizzled
MVP

I'm pretty sure Ohio State and Michigan State are telling potential recruits that Harbaugh's leaving Michigan and he's doing the same regarding Ryan Day. It's how they play it in college.
The solution to the mess that is the Bears organization would be to sell the team. If, however, it was placed in a receivership, well, being the Bears, we know it would be dropped