General Manager/Head Coach Interview Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

IE
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:23 pm Can Bill Pollian hire himself?
Papa Bear did that a few times... didn't like the other options. LOL
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
IE
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:31 am Are the Bears....doing...a......a......a good job?

That's encouraging. I've heard good things about most of the people on the list. Just don't know enough about them.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Because players aren't robots? They're humans with multi faceted needs and the investment is trivial in the grand scheme of things. It isn't a detraction of other areas.

You're putting your own kumbaya biases into this I think. It's about finding competitive edges, not pushing an agenda. Whether it's proven? Well no, probably not proven. Probably anecdotal reliant at this stage. But if there are proven areas the Bears aren't gonna gain an edge there. The Bears need to find a competetive edge, even if that means exploring untapped and unproven areas.

The key is to be an analytically driven organization that can try something and tests its impact. Its the Rams putting fitness trackers on everyone and figuring out that "oh rest days help". It's not pushing an agenda.

Going back to the article, teams already do a treasure trove of interpersonal type research about players. They just aren't even really attempting to use all that data, according to Smith. That is so terribly inefficient to his point in thst article.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:31 am Are the Bears....doing...a......a......a good job?

Ted's not out. The new GM will be a defacto Pres. of Football Ops also answering to George. He should be an actual president to be the same level as Ted but it doesn't look like that's happening. Not the best situation but maybe it will work. Polian's been out of the game for 4 years but still keeps up with it and is the one who hired some of the best GMs and HCs to ever work. George relying on him is better than George and Ted doing it on their own. Yeah, Ted will be in on the GM interviews but I'm assuming his questions will be financial related. They haven't stumbled yet, just moving slow and steady at this time.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

IE wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:55 am

That's encouraging. I've heard good things about most of the people on the list. Just don't know enough about them.
They’ve had good candidates in the building before though. The issue is they tend to select the wrong people over the good ones.

I’m curious if all of them will agree to interviews. Last time George Patton and Eric DeCasta declined interviews with the Bears.

Add Eliot Wolf to the list:
wab
Mod

The Cooler King wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:03 am Because players aren't robots? They're humans with multi faceted needs and the investment is trivial in the grand scheme of things. It isn't a detraction of other areas.

You're putting your own kumbaya biases into this I think. It's about finding competitive edges, not pushing an agenda. Whether it's proven? Well no, probably not proven. Probably anecdotal reliant at this stage. But if there are proven areas the Bears aren't gonna gain an edge there. The Bears need to find a competetive edge, even if that means exploring untapped and unproven areas.

The key is to be an analytically driven organization that can try something and tests its impact. Its the Rams putting fitness trackers on everyone and figuring out that "oh rest days help". It's not pushing an agenda.

Going back to the article, teams already do a treasure trove of interpersonal type research about players. They just aren't even really attempting to use all that data, according to Smith. That is so terribly inefficient to his point in thst article.
This.

Rick Smith isn't Phil Emery holding hands in the shower.
Artbest
Player of the Month

Actually, it appears that the new GM will be at the same level in the Bears' hierarchy as Ted - with both reporting to the Chairman. This is a HUGE change in the Bears approach - something that was lost in George's train wreck press conference. This doesn't mean it will work, but it's the first major structural shift since Ted went away from both the HC and head of player personnel reporting to him when he hired Jerry Angelo, the Bears 1st GM since Jerry Vainisi.

As for how the Bears are moving, they appear to be moving faster, more aggressively on GM interviews than any other franchise. This can be good or bad, but literally every top candidate is on the Bears' list. The key IMO is settling on their GM SOON.

Grizzled wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:07 am

Ted's not out. The new GM will be a defacto Pres. of Football Ops also answering to George. He should be an actual president to be the same level as Ted but it doesn't look like that's happening. Not the best situation but maybe it will work. Polian's been out of the game for 4 years but still keeps up with it and is the one who hired some of the best GMs and HCs to ever work. George relying on him is better than George and Ted doing it on their own. Yeah, Ted will be in on the GM interviews but I'm assuming his questions will be financial related. They haven't stumbled yet, just moving slow and steady at this time.
wab
Mod

FWIW, The Athletic reports that the feeling around the NFL is the Bears are closer than people think (and if you aren't paying a buck a month for the Athletic, you are missing out).

https://theathletic.com/3064702/2022/01 ... ed_article
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:27 am FWIW, The Athletic reports that the feeling around the NFL is the Bears are closer than people think (and if you aren't paying a buck a month for the Athletic, you are missing out).

It asks me to pay $4/mo, is there a special offer somewhere? And that's only if I buy the whole year, and it auto renews and doubles in price next year.
You will be charged a total of $48.00 for the first year. Your annual subscription will automatically renew for $71.99 on Jan 12, 2023 and each year thereafter until you cancel. For more details on our payment terms and how to cancel, click here.
dave99
Assistant Coach

Pompei has a good article on the Bears finding (or reacquiring) their identify.
Yes, we live in the age of the no-look pass. But the age of the bloody lip is eternal.

Football, at its core, is about toughness. The team with the most determination, grit, doggedness and fortitude is the team that wins the most battles, and the team that wins the most battles wins the most wars.

For a team like the Bears, the truth is that identity shouldn’t be created by a general manager or a head coach. It should be organizational, and it should not be limited to an era.

The identity models are the Steelers and Ravens. The faces in those organizations change, the times change, the rules change, but the teams look the same, and they play the game the same way.
He goes to make the case for Bill Polian. It doesn't matter how old he is or long he has been out of the game, what matters is a demonstrated ability to know what to look for:
Retaining Polian as an adviser does not mean Polian should be telling Bears chairman George McCaskey who to hire. It means he is telling him how to hire.
https://theathletic.com/3066364/2022/01 ... the-bears/
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
thunderspirit
Head Coach

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 10:49 am
I guess this is where my "selfish, piece of shit Bears fan" comment comes into play. I don't care if they're good people, I want the best football player on the field period. If he's nuts, if he kicks puppies (personally I'd rip his head off for that), I don't care. In my football world, I'll put winning above everything (it's gross. I know.)

Now, if there is some evidence that this holistic approach does create a better product/player on the field, then I'm all for it. I'm just not sure how that would supersede weight lifting, watching tape etc etc.
In the first place: we are both interested in the Bears winning. Bill Belichick is a grade A jerkoff but it doesn't mean I wouldn't want him as coach of the Bears. (Some bridges I won't ever cross, but being an asshole, generally speaking, isn't one of them.)

In the second, I don't see any indication wanting a holistic approach supersedes weight training and film study. I read it as in addition to, not in place of.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
thunderspirit
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 12:49 pm
wab wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:27 am FWIW, The Athletic reports that the feeling around the NFL is the Bears are closer than people think (and if you aren't paying a buck a month for the Athletic, you are missing out).

It asks me to pay $4/mo, is there a special offer somewhere? And that's only if I buy the whole year, and it auto renews and doubles in price next year.
You will be charged a total of $48.00 for the first year. Your annual subscription will automatically renew for $71.99 on Jan 12, 2023 and each year thereafter until you cancel. For more details on our payment terms and how to cancel, click here.
Check your PMs.
KFFL refugee.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I found my way to this

https://theathletic.com/checkout2/intro1/introperiod6/
$7.99/month
$1/month
Billed as $1/month for 6 months.
$7.99/month thereafter. Cancel anytime.
Due Today:$1.00

But 6 month trial deal still isn't selling me.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Just signed up for $48 the first year, goes to $73 afterwards. The New York Times group just bought The Athletic but I don't think they'll change it up.
IotaNet
MVP

Excellent article -- I agree with all the points made there. It's a good analysis.

Regarding "The Athletic," I also agree. It's worth the subscription. And by the way, they were just acquired by the New York Times. :o
https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2022/01 ... 641510674/
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
wab
Mod

Usually if you sign up through their Twitter links you get a pretty deep discount. I caught it last year on black friday for .99 a month, but it looks like you can get it for half off here:
dplank
Hall of Famer

Gracias
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

wab wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:55 am Khan has a pretty solid resume... 20 something years with the Steelers.
I just read up a bit about Khan. I would take him in a heartbeat.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Moriarty wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:36 pm I found my way to this

https://theathletic.com/checkout2/intro1/introperiod6/
$7.99/month
$1/month
Billed as $1/month for 6 months.
$7.99/month thereafter. Cancel anytime.
Due Today:$1.00

But 6 month trial deal still isn't selling me.
Check your PMs too.
KFFL refugee.

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

So the Bears just finished interviewing Pedersen for a HC position. Does that mean he s the type of candidate that can help pick the GM? Or are the Bears doing that with all of the HC candidates?
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Does anyone know if any of these interviews are in person or are they only conducting the interviews via remote zoom or/etc. online conference calls?
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

bearsoldier wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:26 am Does anyone know if any of these interviews are in person or are they only conducting the interviews via remote zoom or/etc. online conference calls?
IIRC, the initial interviews are via Zoom.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Burl wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 8:32 am
bearsoldier wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 8:32 am I think everyone really needs to really listen to how he speaks. He really is a good leader, teacher and motivator. He has a great personality and it is hard for anyone not to like him. Listen to his press conferences.

Don't discount the connection to the 85' Bears, its a good thing fellas, not bad. Not sure why so many act like its too meatball to want a guy who had success here and knows what it is like to win in Chicago.

Keep in mind, many players coming out of college are still very young men and the locker room is always in need a good mentor who is almost a father figure to them. Frazier can be that guy, much like Lovie Smith was.

Yes, his time with Minnie was unsuccessful but it is clear he has learned and grown tremendously as a coach since then. He is one of the most experienced candidates and has proven to be successful as a coach when considering his whole body of work in the league.

The one and only concern for me is... How exactly he could gain the right offensive minds to help build a winning team to complement Justin Fields and the group of young players we have on the roster??
Can you expound here how it is clear that he has learned and grown tremendously as a coach?
I am basing it on progression of his career as a coach and the total body of work. Listen to some old interviews and then listen to more current press conferences in the way he explains details and how he knows the traits of each players positives. Also, dig into the stats, not all of his progression was positive in terms of stats but it is the experience of challenges... You begin to understand that he has seen the highs and lows and then adapted over the years.

https://thebuffalofanatics.com/mississi ... e-frazier/

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... razLe0.htm

He is in many ways the best candidate for a HC position and certainly is the most humble, mature coach on the list.

The problem for me is who will run the offense and it is really all that keeps me from saying he is hands down the choice for HC.

I know many seem to hate the idea of Frazier, but other than the huge offensive question mark?, it is not clear why so many are against him as HC.

If you or others truly hate the idea, please explain as to why you think he is a bad choice.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Hema2.0 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:52 am
bearsoldier wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:26 am Does anyone know if any of these interviews are in person or are they only conducting the interviews via remote zoom or/etc. online conference calls?
Thanks Hema... I was concerned on the way they were going about it with GM process still going on as well.... Hopefully they hire the GM first and then the GM will conduct more in depth interviews with the top 5 coaching candidates.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Hema2.0 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:52 am
Good luck man.

If I can give you some advice, don’t be distracted by anything in the background.

One time I’m in the CFO’s office being interviewed. He’s asking me questions about what specific analytics I’d focus on for a PE owned company and all this crap.

Behind him over his shoulder was a huge (like Costco sized) box of Triscuits and a bundle of bananas.

I’m thinking how or why in the fuck does this dude need all in the office?

But I put it out of my head and got the job so stay focused dude!
dave99
Assistant Coach

Biggs has an article in the Trib this morning stacking up the seven coaching jobs according to:
The Tribune polled 19 league executives, coaches and veteran agents with knowledge of rosters and how teams operate, asking them to rank the seven openings, which assumes the Raiders job opens.
In order:
  • Raiders
  • Jags
  • Denver
  • Vikings
  • Miami
  • Bears
  • Giants
The Bears biggest problem was lack of offensive talent to surround Fields.
“I like Justin Fields,” one scout said. “He has upside if he is coached right, and there are some pieces on defense. They need to address the offensive line and they severely lack offensive weapons. They’ve got to make a lot of moves on offense so Fields is in a better position to win.”
Interestingly, ownership and I guess management were not viewed as a negative. Probably because they are so slow to make changes.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Now I’m being serious.

Even though I think the McCaskeys are an inbred group of taint tinklers, there’s no way in hell the Jags, Denver, Minnesota and Miami are ahead of us in terms of appeal.

Forget ownership. It’s a huge ass market with a rabid fan base and the probable expansion to Arlington Heights if the HC does a good job and is around for it.

Similar to the Cubs and Hawks Anybody associated with a winning Bears team would be crowned and have a statue of them up around the new stadium and eat for free the rest of his life.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

He has to be a top candidate. These are his chops:

Graduate of Purdue, became their strength/conditioning coach, TE coach, and secondary coach. Hired in '96 by the Broncos as their secondary coach and won 2 SBs with them. In 2000, promoted by Mike Shanahan to a front office job. When Gary Kubiak was hired by the Texans, he helped them hire Smith as their GM. Was the one who drafted JJ Watt, Deshaun Watson, and Andre Hopkins. Had decent success even with QBs such as Matt Schaub and the original giraffe, Brock Osweiler. Stepped down not long after drafting Watson as his wife was battling (and lost) cancer.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:37 am Now I’m being serious.

Even though I think the McCaskeys are an inbred group of taint tinklers, there’s no way in hell the Jags, Denver, Minnesota and Miami are ahead of us in terms of appeal.

Forget ownership. It’s a huge ass market with a rabid fan base and the probable expansion to Arlington Heights if the HC does a good job and is around for it.

Similar to the Cubs and Hawks Anybody associated with a winning Bears team would be crowned and have a statue of them up around the new stadium and eat for free the rest of his life.
It probably comes down to the current state of the team, as the quote in dave99's post alludes to. The Broncos in particular have an excellent roster and are 'just' missing a QB. If they land one this offseason then they should immediately become a contender despite playing in a very tough division.

Whilst there are obviously some massive holes in the Bears' roster, notably WR and DB, I still think it is more talented especially on offense than it's given credit for due to Nagy's complete ineptitude. With the right GM and HC this team should be back in the playoff hunt in 2023.