General Manager/Head Coach Interview Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears & the National Football League

Moderator: wab

southdakbearfan
Head Coach

So I see all these interviews, but if you are the Bears don't you want the GM in place to do interviews before you start Head Coach Interviews otherwise you run the risk of a bad match between coach and GM?

Or do you hire the coach and let him select the GM to be a Trend Setting Franchise?

Or hire them both separately, put them in a padded room, and tell them to work out a football roster/identity philosophy by morning?
Atkins&Rebel
MVP

Some coaching candidates would want a say in who the GM is. I think the Bears are trying to lure Harbaugh and McDaniels to at least interview and say here's some leg work on GM's...and vice versa, they can still hire a GM and say here's some leg work on some of the coaches that were available to interview before playoffs got under way
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
HisRoyalSweetness
MVP

At the rate they're going, George, Ted, Bill, the Diversity & Inclusion Officer and the other one are going to interview every assistant GM, VP of player personnel, VP of college scouting and co-ordinator in the league plus every former executive turned TV pundit and currently unemployed former head coach too!
docc
Head Coach

Bill..Ted..and George's great adventure..
HisRoyalSweetness
MVP

More likely to be Bill & Ted's (and George's) Bogus Journey.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

According to the DaBearsBlog the Bears have requested an interview with Jeff Ireland for GM.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
dplank
Head Coach

Can Bill Pollian hire himself?
The Marshall Plan
Head Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:07 pm So I see all these interviews, but if you are the Bears don't you want the GM in place to do interviews before you start Head Coach Interviews otherwise you run the risk of a bad match between coach and GM?

Or do you hire the coach and let him select the GM to be a Trend Setting Franchise?

Or hire them both separately, put them in a padded room, and tell them to work out a football roster/identity philosophy by morning?
Under normal circumstances you’re 100% right, but if it means I can get a Harbaugh or Day right now without waiting for the GM then I hit those guys now.

If gets down to the third tier candidates yeah sure hire the GM first.

While Georgie Porgie is filling out the GM and HC roles he needs to be on hands and knees begging Vic to take the DC job.

No HC or GM worth a damn would have a problem with Vic Fucking Fangio as their DC.
The Bear-Anon Sorcerer

Vote Brian Flores: For a Bullshit Free Bears Organization
The Marshall Plan
Head Coach

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 10:29 pm According to the DaBearsBlog the Bears have requested an interview with Jeff Ireland for GM.
He came from the Saints like Pace.

The Saints fattened themselves up by having Drew Brees.

I’d rather interview Kathy Ireland instead.
The Bear-Anon Sorcerer

Arkansasbear
MVP

I think it would clear up a lot of clutter, if we would list who we AREN'T setting up with rather than who we plan to interview.

:welcome:
HisRoyalSweetness
MVP

SpongeBob gets his hands on the Bears interview list...

TheWorldBreaker
Assistant Coach

GM Candidates:

Rick Smith
Jeff Ireland
(These two were reported by Dabearsblog but I haven’t seen them corroborated by mainstream journalists).
Glenn Cook
Kwesi Adofo-Mensah
Morocco Brown
Ed Dodds

Head Coaches:

Doug Pederson
Byron Leftwich
Brian Daboll
Leslie Frazier
Todd Bowles
Nathaniel Hackett
Matt Eberflus
Brian Flores

Edit: The Bears have reportedly requested an interview with Ed Dodds and Brian Flores.
Last edited by TheWorldBreaker on Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
TheWorldBreaker
Assistant Coach

southdakbearfan wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:07 pm So I see all these interviews, but if you are the Bears don't you want the GM in place to do interviews before you start Head Coach Interviews otherwise you run the risk of a bad match between coach and GM?

If they really wanted Harbaugh I think they would have to hire him first considering his issues in SF.

But if the rumors about Pace being forced to hire Fox are true or have some truth to them their approach is a little concerning.

For example, if they hire Morocco Brown he might want to hire Matt Eberflus but Bill Polian’s sons went to high school with Daboll and Polian apparently got Daboll a job as a GA for Saban, so he might push a guy he has a personal connection with over who the GM wants.

Then if Eberflus went onto be a great coach and Daboll turned out to be a fat Nagy that would be Arians Trestman all over again and really frustrating.
dave99
Journeyman

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:20 pm At the rate they're going, George, Ted, Bill, the Diversity & Inclusion Officer and the other one are going to interview every assistant GM, VP of player personnel, VP of college scouting and co-ordinator in the league plus every former executive turned TV pundit and currently unemployed former head coach too!
If their plan is to have five people in the room (or zoom call) on each interview and then make some sense of the chaos, I can pretty much guarantee failure.
If the plan is have two or three or four screening interviews before King George sits down then expect a decision sometime in the late summer.
If these idiots hadn't been born and/or stumbled into their positions, they would be hard pressed to hold the job of a greeter at Wal-Mart.
The Marshall Plan
Head Coach

dave99 wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:47 am
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:20 pm At the rate they're going, George, Ted, Bill, the Diversity & Inclusion Officer and the other one are going to interview every assistant GM, VP of player personnel, VP of college scouting and co-ordinator in the league plus every former executive turned TV pundit and currently unemployed former head coach too!
If their plan is to have five people in the room (or zoom call) on each interview and then make some sense of the chaos, I can pretty much guarantee failure.
If the plan is have two or three or four screening interviews before King George sits down then expect a decision sometime in the late summer.
If these idiots hadn't been born and/or stumbled into their positions, they would be hard pressed to hold the job of a greeter at Wal-Mart.
Spot on.

The only thing I’d add is that old method of uploading a resume into a form with like 100 fields where half of them import wrong and you’re better off just typing it in yourself.

I’ve stopped applying to employers like that years ago.
The Bear-Anon Sorcerer

Grizzled
MVP

The list of requested HC interviews so far: Brian Daboll, Leslie Frazier, Todd Bowles, Bryon Leftowich, and Nathaniel Hackett.
The solution to the mess that is the Bears organization would be to sell the team. If, however, it was placed in a receivership, well, being the Bears, we know it would be dropped
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Surprised Greg Roman's name has not made the list yet.
Z Bear
MVP

Head Coaches:

Doug Pederson - Hell no
Byron Leftwich - Boo
Brian Daboll - Boo
Leslie Frazier -Meh
Todd Bowles - He'd be #4 on my list
Nathaniel Hackett - Like to see him without A A Ron before hiring him
Matt Eberflus - No defensive guys without head coaching experience
wab
Mod

FWIW
UOK
Site Admin

Arkansasbear wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:03 am I think it would clear up a lot of clutter, if we would list who we AREN'T setting up with rather than who we plan to interview.

:welcome:
I didn't realize they'd have so many of them so quickly, lol. I'll sticky this as a catch-all.
"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
UOK
Site Admin

"None of us are in the board room, locker room, or on the sideline, so in a way, we don't know shit."
- Otis Day
pus
MVP

Grizzled wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:00 am The list of requested HC interviews so far: Brian Daboll, Leslie Frazier, Todd Bowles, Bryon Leftowich, and Nathaniel Hackett.
Thanks for keeping score, Grizzled.

I'm glad we are learning who is actually on the Bears' radar.
It's football, it's not brain surgery. Have some fun." - Mike Ditka

Z Bear
MVP

Wondering why no McDaniels.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Z Bear wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:22 pm Wondering why no McDaniels.
Because despite his obvious talent as an OC he is a shithead and I wouldn't want him representing my team.

He was an embarrassment in Denver and he screwed over the Colts. I doubt Polian has any interest in adding him to the list and I would hope McCaskey feels the same way.

He can take over in NE when Bill B decides to call it a career.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
wab
Mod

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:24 pm
Because despite his obvious talent as an OC he is a shithead and I wouldn't want him representing my team.

He was an embarrassment in Denver and he screwed over the Colts. I doubt Polian has any interest in adding him to the list and I would hope McCaskey feels the same way.

He can take over in NE when Bill B decides to call it a career.
There were reports that Pace was impressed with McD. Now that Pace is gone, I imagine McD's odds are a little more slim.
UOK
Site Admin

Merging related threads.
- Otis Day
UOK
Site Admin

McDaniels shouldn't be considered seriously as a candidate anywhere. After Denver and especially Indy, he doesn't deserve to be trusted.
- Otis Day
IotaNet
Crafty Veteran

I wondered that myself until I thought about it … the McCaskey family is all about high-character guys and McDaniels past points to him being otherwise.

I’m not saying a person can’t change but as important a decision as they have to make, they’re probably going to be fairly risk-averse.
Arkansasbear
MVP

I'm more shocked no Riddick.