General Manager/Head Coach Interview Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears & the National Football League

Moderator: wab

TheWorldBreaker
Assistant Coach
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:57 pm

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:37 am Now I’m being serious.

Even though I think the McCaskeys are an inbred group of taint tinklers, there’s no way in hell the Jags, Denver, Minnesota and Miami are ahead of us in terms of appeal.

Forget ownership. It’s a huge ass market with a rabid fan base and the probable expansion to Arlington Heights if the HC does a good job and is around for it.

Similar to the Cubs and Hawks Anybody associated with a winning Bears team would be crowned and have a statue of them up around the new stadium and eat for free the rest of his life.
Denver and Minnesota are better jobs. They have better rosters and also have large, passionate fan bases.

I live in Denver and Mike Shanahan is treated like Ditka is in Chicago. You don’t think there would be a statue built for the guy that wins Minnesota a SuperBowl?

Next year is going to have to be a rebuild because of Pace’s mismanagement (and a rebuild that begins with no first round pick) and Justin Fields had flashes but didn’t look good. Whether that’s a product solely of Nagy’s incompetence or what remains to be seen. But he’s not an elite franchise QB yet.

Miami and Jacksonville don’t make sense since they also have incompetent ownership, don’t have great rosters, and there are more Bears fans in their home stadiums.
User avatar
Ditka’s dictaphone
Player of the Month
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:33 pm

You have more potential uplift if you join the bears.
Artbest
Player of the Month
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:28 pm

George's biggest issue is that he can't trust Ted Phillips with the football side of the operation. Theoretically, George should be involved - just as Michael ceased to be involved/heard from when he was kicked up to Chairman and Phillips replaced him as President.

Phillips' hiring of Phil Emery SHOULD have instigated a change in the structure back in 2015 - i.e. a strong GM/head of football operations reporting directly to George/being a de facto peer of Ted. It appears George is fixing that.

Now we have to hope they get the GM/head of football operations hire right. If they do, then we should hear from George MAYBE once a year and never, unless it's to discuss the stadium, hear from Ted.





The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:37 am Now I’m being serious.

Even though I think the McCaskeys are an inbred group of taint tinklers, there’s no way in hell the Jags, Denver, Minnesota and Miami are ahead of us in terms of appeal.

Forget ownership. It’s a huge ass market with a rabid fan base and the probable expansion to Arlington Heights if the HC does a good job and is around for it.

Similar to the Cubs and Hawks Anybody associated with a winning Bears team would be crowned and have a statue of them up around the new stadium and eat for free the rest of his life.
Artbest
Player of the Month
Posts: 319
Joined: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:28 pm

Denver is a better job in the short-run...Minnesota likely is as well. Long-term? No way - Success with the Bears dwarfs success in Denver or Minnesota. Winning a SB in Chicago makes one a head coach a cross over cultural icon.



TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:45 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:37 am Now I’m being serious.

Even though I think the McCaskeys are an inbred group of taint tinklers, there’s no way in hell the Jags, Denver, Minnesota and Miami are ahead of us in terms of appeal.

Forget ownership. It’s a huge ass market with a rabid fan base and the probable expansion to Arlington Heights if the HC does a good job and is around for it.

Similar to the Cubs and Hawks Anybody associated with a winning Bears team would be crowned and have a statue of them up around the new stadium and eat for free the rest of his life.
Denver and Minnesota are better jobs. They have better rosters and also have large, passionate fan bases.

I live in Denver and Mike Shanahan is treated like Ditka is in Chicago. You don’t think there would be a statue built for the guy that wins Minnesota a SuperBowl?

Next year is going to have to be a rebuild because of Pace’s mismanagement (and a rebuild that begins with no first round pick) and Justin Fields had flashes but didn’t look good. Whether that’s a product solely of Nagy’s incompetence or what remains to be seen. But he’s not an elite franchise QB yet.

Miami and Jacksonville don’t make sense since they also have incompetent ownership, don’t have great rosters, and there are more Bears fans in their home stadiums.
User avatar
dave99
Journeyman
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:14 am
Location: Plano Texas

The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:37 am Now I’m being serious.

Even though I think the McCaskeys are an inbred group of taint tinklers, there’s no way in hell the Jags, Denver, Minnesota and Miami are ahead of us in terms of appeal.

Forget ownership. It’s a huge ass market with a rabid fan base and the probable expansion to Arlington Heights if the HC does a good job and is around for it.

Similar to the Cubs and Hawks Anybody associated with a winning Bears team would be crowned and have a statue of them up around the new stadium and eat for free the rest of his life.
You have to remember this is for the HC job.
It is basically a referendum on the Bears lack of talent, particularly on offense.
An as yet unknown GM will have some major rebuilding to do.
So do you go to a smaller market with less risk or the 2nd biggest market with the 2nd most risk?
In that scenarios, you are more likely to attract the guy who has to take the risk as opposed to a more established quantity with a good resume.
User avatar
dplank
Head Coach
Posts: 4482
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

The Vikings complex is looks like an abandoned strip mall off the side of the highway. The worst in the league that I visited by a mile. Nothing beats the St. Louis Blues, who literally ARE located inside of an abandoned mall that used to have a skate rink in it. But for NFL standards, they are a joke. Their market is a joke compared to Chicago as well. And I don't buy that their roster is much better than ours, they have better wide outs and a great RB and that's about it. They also have Cousins on the hook for 45M next year lmao. Denver at least has a much bigger city/fan base, as the Broncos cover a huge geographical region for the NFL, New Mexico all the way up through the Dakotas are all "Bronco country". Most of Nebraska/Kansas (west half at least). They just cover a huge area of the country. But they don't have a QB, so.....yea I'd prefer Fields/Bears.
User avatar
dplank
Head Coach
Posts: 4482
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

As others have correctly noted: We have the premium positions covered except for WR1. Right now we have QB, RB1, RB2, LT, RT, WR2, and TE all look like good players and are all on their rookie deals. And already accounted for in our current cap view are both edge rushers among others, but noted because they are the premium cost positions out there. We also have our CB1 on a rookie deal for good measure.

We have a young core in place, we need to fix our OL, find our WR1, and add talent to our secondary. Combine that with good coaching and we are a playoff team IMO, with major upside if Fields is who we think he might be.

Shit, I kind of made a case for Ryan Pace - oops.
TheWorldBreaker
Assistant Coach
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:57 pm

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:57 am As others have correctly noted: We have the premium positions covered except for WR1. Right now we have QB, RB1, RB2, LT, RT, WR2, and TE all look like good players and are all on their rookie deals. And already accounted for in our current cap view are both edge rushers among others, but noted because they are the premium cost positions out there. We also have our CB1 on a rookie deal for good measure.

We have a young core in place, we need to fix our OL and add talent to our secondary. Combine that with good coaching and we are a playoff team IMO, with major upside if Fields is who we think he might be.

Shit, I kind of made a case for Ryan Pace - oops.
The Bears have players that showed flashes but except for RB none of them are solidified.

Justin Fields had the worst QBR in the NFL last season and was 2-8. It might have all been Nagy’s fault but you can’t be sure.

Tevin Jenkins missed most of the season with back surgery didn’t look good early got hurt and then looked okay for stretches when he came back. Borom looked pretty good early but was garbage at the end the season. I don’t know if the rookie wall caught up to him or if teams picked up on some of his tendencies on film or what but you cannot hand either of them the starting jobs. Not solidified.

Cole Kmet is an okay player but not a difference maker and struggled to make difficult catches on throws Fields made under duress which is what you need a TE to do in today’s NFL.

The Bears have players in the positions you listed but RB is the only position group you don’t even have to think about.
User avatar
dave99
Journeyman
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:14 am
Location: Plano Texas

Again, this is just a random sampling of a handful of insiders conducted by a seasoned Chicago sports reporter.
What it tells me is that, at least as far as this group is concerned, our offense is in pretty sad shape.
Too many OK's and maybes and not enough blue chip talent.
That makes the job risky and less desirable, at least to some.
User avatar
Grizzled
MVP
Posts: 1634
Joined: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:55 pm

Denver has no premier QB and drafts in a position when one isn’t available. Minny has some very good to great WRs and a RB in Cook. They need to make a decision on a very expensive QB who has been adequate but no more.The Bears have a passionate fan base, none more so, not even Denver’s, which is strong. Ownership spends money. With the right head of football ops, a guy who actually knows the should be on the upswing next year.
The solution to the mess that is the Bears organization would be to sell the team. If, however, it was placed in a receivership, well, being the Bears, we know it would be dropped
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9365
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

God, I hate that season-long QBR stat for Fields. Especially because they're so bad only because of really 1 or 2 games. That's super-lazy OR for some reason intentionally making him look worse than what he was. Over his last 5 games he was something like an 85 rating with 250 passing and 1:1 TD/INT. That is slightly below average NFL starter right there, with no preparation as the starter thanks to Nagy.

Why the deliberate slams at the kid, given the context? Makes no sense.
The Future is Now.

I"m bouncey, trouncey, ouncey, pouncey - fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

MOTM League: Daisycutter
User avatar
Moriarty
Head Coach
Posts: 3484
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2016 1:22 pm

IE wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:04 pm God, I hate that season-long QBR stat for Fields. Especially because they're so bad only because of really 1 or 2 games. That's super-lazy OR for some reason intentionally making him look worse than what he was.
Why the deliberate slams at the kid, given the context? Makes no sense.
I understand the impact of outliers and how they can deceive.
But nobody pulls the 1-2 worst games out of every other QB's stats. And, honestly, Fields' worst games didn't really crush his overall stats that much. It's not like he had Rexy performances mixed in there (not statwise, anyhow).
IE wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:04 pm Over his last 5 games he was something like an 85 rating with 250 passing and 1:1 TD/INT. That is slightly below average NFL starter right there, with no preparation as the starter thanks to Nagy.
84 in the last 5. Median (200 attempts) for the league: 92. 84 would come in at 27th.
It looks like improvement and some cause for optimism. It is also a somewhat small number of games to be calling a trend, though.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
TheWorldBreaker
Assistant Coach
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:57 pm

IE wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:04 pm God, I hate that season-long QBR stat for Fields. Especially because they're so bad only because of really 1 or 2 games. That's super-lazy OR for some reason intentionally making him look worse than what he was. Over his last 5 games he was something like an 85 rating with 250 passing and 1:1 TD/INT. That is slightly below average NFL starter right there, with no preparation as the starter thanks to Nagy.

Why the deliberate slams at the kid, given the context? Makes no sense.
It’s not a slam it’s just the reality of the season. The poster I was responding to was claiming that the Bears had all those positions solved because they had young players. I was just stating facts that threw cold water on that notion.

And even when you omit the earlier games as you did you can see that Fields still wasn’t a good QB.

Everyone here (I hope) wants Fields to succeed but he did not establish himself as a franchise QB as a rookie and it would be fair if his performance had some potential candidates questioning his ceiling and wether they wanted to hitch their wagon to them.
User avatar
dplank
Head Coach
Posts: 4482
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 12:17 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:57 am As others have correctly noted: We have the premium positions covered except for WR1. Right now we have QB, RB1, RB2, LT, RT, WR2, and TE all look like good players and are all on their rookie deals. And already accounted for in our current cap view are both edge rushers among others, but noted because they are the premium cost positions out there. We also have our CB1 on a rookie deal for good measure.

We have a young core in place, we need to fix our OL and add talent to our secondary. Combine that with good coaching and we are a playoff team IMO, with major upside if Fields is who we think he might be.

Shit, I kind of made a case for Ryan Pace - oops.
The Bears have players that showed flashes but except for RB none of them are solidified.

Justin Fields had the worst QBR in the NFL last season and was 2-8. It might have all been Nagy’s fault but you can’t be sure.

Tevin Jenkins missed most of the season with back surgery didn’t look good early got hurt and then looked okay for stretches when he came back. Borom looked pretty good early but was garbage at the end the season. I don’t know if the rookie wall caught up to him or if teams picked up on some of his tendencies on film or what but you cannot hand either of them the starting jobs. Not solidified.

Cole Kmet is an okay player but not a difference maker and struggled to make difficult catches on throws Fields made under duress which is what you need a TE to do in today’s NFL.

The Bears have players in the positions you listed but RB is the only position group you don’t even have to think about.
I couldn't disagree more with this post. You aren't looking for stats from rookies, particularly when playing in a failed offense that a litany of players, young and old, have been unable to produce in. With Fields, if you don't see the playmaking potential you simply aren't looking. You can gripe about picks and sacks, but if you ignore that a well established vet QB who has always been at least "mid tier" in the NFL had games where he threw 4 INT's and took 7 sacks, you realize where the blame lies. With Jenkins, you simply don't understand line play if you don't see that he can play at the NFL level. Can he stay healthy? Absolutely a concern, we'll see, but he went out there as a rookie with almost a year of no football and immediately started pushing guys around - grown ass men - he's a beast. Same with Borom minus the health concern, he can play in the NFL and it's OBVIOUS he belongs. I'm not saying he'll be a perennial all pro, but he's a clear NFL starter already that will only improve. These are rookies and were ALREADY better than what we've had (Leno who just signed an extension, Ifedi, Massie, Simmons, etc). Cole Kmet ranked 12th in yardage for TE's this year IN NAGY'S OFFENSE. That is a feat and placed him just behind Darren Waller (#11) and ahead of really good players like Hunter Henry, Dawson Knox, and Tyler Higbee.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 23882
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

IE wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:04 pm God, I hate that season-long QBR stat for Fields. Especially because they're so bad only because of really 1 or 2 games. That's super-lazy OR for some reason intentionally making him look worse than what he was. Over his last 5 games he was something like an 85 rating with 250 passing and 1:1 TD/INT. That is slightly below average NFL starter right there, with no preparation as the starter thanks to Nagy.

Why the deliberate slams at the kid, given the context? Makes no sense.
I agree with you for the most part, but at some point that "no preparation" in training camp thing has to stop being an excuse.
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 23882
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:48 pm
IE wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:04 pm God, I hate that season-long QBR stat for Fields. Especially because they're so bad only because of really 1 or 2 games. That's super-lazy OR for some reason intentionally making him look worse than what he was. Over his last 5 games he was something like an 85 rating with 250 passing and 1:1 TD/INT. That is slightly below average NFL starter right there, with no preparation as the starter thanks to Nagy.

Why the deliberate slams at the kid, given the context? Makes no sense.
It’s not a slam it’s just the reality of the season. The poster I was responding to was claiming that the Bears had all those positions solved because they had young players. I was just stating facts that threw cold water on that notion.

And even when you omit the earlier games as you did you can see that Fields still wasn’t a good QB.

Everyone here (I hope) wants Fields to succeed but he did not establish himself as a franchise QB as a rookie and it would be fair if his performance had some potential candidates questioning his ceiling and wether they wanted to hitch their wagon to them.
"Solved" insomuch as that there are young drafted players there that you have to see how they perform in 2022 (and to an extent 2023) before you draw any conclusions.

I feel pretty confident that there isn't a candidate on that list that is going to want to move on from, or replace, Justin Fields. They will come here because of him.
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9365
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

wab wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:07 pm
IE wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:04 pm God, I hate that season-long QBR stat for Fields. Especially because they're so bad only because of really 1 or 2 games. That's super-lazy OR for some reason intentionally making him look worse than what he was. Over his last 5 games he was something like an 85 rating with 250 passing and 1:1 TD/INT. That is slightly below average NFL starter right there, with no preparation as the starter thanks to Nagy.

Why the deliberate slams at the kid, given the context? Makes no sense.
I agree with you for the most part, but at some point that "no preparation" in training camp thing has to stop being an excuse.
Totally agree! After a camp! lol

The camp is really just a short way of criticizing Nagy's entire approach with him, actually. But it does stick out as the biggest problem. The biggest ding on his stats is Cleveland... the first start with only a few days prep as the starter... and look what Nagy did. He does have some game speed stuff to still learn. But his late season performance deserves better than these QBR quoters give him. It isn't remotely fair.
The Future is Now.

I"m bouncey, trouncey, ouncey, pouncey - fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

MOTM League: Daisycutter
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9365
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

The Jags pummeled the Pack this season. And the Bears beat the Bengals. Those are ALSO reality of the season - but me saying that isn't helpful, informative or particularly honest maybe if I'm using that as a basis for a point.

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
The Future is Now.

I"m bouncey, trouncey, ouncey, pouncey - fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

MOTM League: Daisycutter
User avatar
Ditka’s dictaphone
Player of the Month
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:33 pm

I’m very happy with Fields, he’s a winner - no doubt about it
User avatar
wab
Mod
Posts: 23882
Joined: Sun Nov 02, 2008 12:49 pm

IE wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:14 pm
wab wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:07 pm
I agree with you for the most part, but at some point that "no preparation" in training camp thing has to stop being an excuse.
Totally agree! After a camp! lol

The camp is really just a short way of criticizing Nagy's entire approach with him, actually. But it does stick out as the biggest problem. The biggest ding on his stats is Cleveland... the first start with only a few days prep as the starter... and look what Nagy did. He does have some game speed stuff to still learn. But his late season performance deserves better than these QBR quoters give him. It isn't remotely fair.
I mean it might not be fair, but it is what it is. It's a pretty universally accepted standard unit of measuring a QB.

If you want to go back to the ol' eye test... well... He was bad a lot, good sometimes, hurt occasionally, and inconsistent at best.

I do not think that 2021 is an accurate representation of what JF1 will be in 2022 or beyond. But it's tough to say that's anything other than hope at this point.
User avatar
HisRoyalSweetness
MVP
Posts: 1788
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:20 pm

IE wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:04 pm God, I hate that season-long QBR stat for Fields. Especially because they're so bad only because of really 1 or 2 games. That's super-lazy OR for some reason intentionally making him look worse than what he was. Over his last 5 games he was something like an 85 rating with 250 passing and 1:1 TD/INT. That is slightly below average NFL starter right there, with no preparation as the starter thanks to Nagy.

Why the deliberate slams at the kid, given the context? Makes no sense.
IE wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:14 pm He does have some game speed stuff to still learn. But his late season performance deserves better than these QBR quoters give him. It isn't remotely fair.
I hate to be that guy IE, but you could have said exactly the same things about Trubisky and his first season. I assume we're actually talking about passer rating rather than QBR here and Fields median rating was 79.95 whereas Trubisky's was 87.95. Unlike Fields, whose highest passer rating in a game was 96.6 when he threw a TD on the last play against the Vikings, Trubisky even put up 3 games with a rating over 100.

Here are their stats for their last 5 starts (Fields versus Trubisky):

Completion %: 60.4 versus 67.1
Yards: 1058 versus 1054
TD/INT Ratio: 5/4 versus 3/3
Passer Rating: 84.0 versus 85.4

Remarkably similar wouldn't you say?

We all hoped Trubisky would take a leap forward with a new HC and a new scheme. Now we're hoping the same with Fields. That's not 'slamming the kid' or ignoring context. It's just stating a fact. Fields looks like a better prospect, but there are no guarantees.
wab wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:10 pm "Solved" insomuch as that there are young drafted players there that you have to see how they perform in 2022 (and to an extent 2023) before you draw any conclusions.
This is it exactly. We've seen something from a number of young players this season, although thanks to Nagy's obstinacy and (understandable) desire for self-preservation not as much as we should have, to hope good things lie ahead for them but it's far from certain at this point. Next year should be all about the new HC getting his schemes in place and evaluating what these players can do.
User avatar
dplank
Head Coach
Posts: 4482
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

If any potential HC didn’t want to coach Chicago because of Fields or Jacksonville because of Lawrence, then they aren’t qualified to coach in the NFL. QBR be damned.
User avatar
Ditka’s dictaphone
Player of the Month
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2021 12:33 pm

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:12 pm If any potential HC didn’t want to coach Chicago because of Fields or Jacksonville because of Lawrence, then they aren’t qualified to coach in the NFL. QBR be damned.
:thumbsup:
User avatar
dave99
Journeyman
Posts: 185
Joined: Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:14 am
Location: Plano Texas

I think if the last four years have proved anything it's that Nagy can make any quarterback look bad.
Some, like Trubisky made their own contributions, others like Fields were more often innocent bystanders.
Hell, Nagy might have even tanked Mahomes if Reid hadn't palmed him off on Pace.
User avatar
dplank
Head Coach
Posts: 4482
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 9:19 am

Dave, stat of the day for you.

Andy Dalton has been an NFL QB for 177 games, starting 150 games over 11 years. In all that time, he only had 3 games where he took 7 or more sacks and he only had 5 games where he threw 4 INT's. That's 8 games that would qualify as a 'shit show' out of 150.

2 of those 8 shit shows occurred in the mere 6 starts he had playing for Matt Nagy. So yea, I really am not putting any stock in QBR or other stuff for a rookie playing under those conditions. Thank sweet baby Jebus Matt Nagy is gone.
User avatar
IE
Hall of Famer
Posts: 9365
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:46 am
Location: Ann Arbor, MI

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:06 pm
IE wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:04 pm God, I hate that season-long QBR stat for Fields. Especially because they're so bad only because of really 1 or 2 games. That's super-lazy OR for some reason intentionally making him look worse than what he was. Over his last 5 games he was something like an 85 rating with 250 passing and 1:1 TD/INT. That is slightly below average NFL starter right there, with no preparation as the starter thanks to Nagy.

Why the deliberate slams at the kid, given the context? Makes no sense.
IE wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:14 pm He does have some game speed stuff to still learn. But his late season performance deserves better than these QBR quoters give him. It isn't remotely fair.
I hate to be that guy IE, but you could have said exactly the same things about Trubisky and his first season. I assume we're actually talking about passer rating rather than QBR here and Fields median rating was 79.95 whereas Trubisky's was 87.95. Unlike Fields, whose highest passer rating in a game was 96.6 when he threw a TD on the last play against the Vikings, Trubisky even put up 3 games with a rating over 100.

Here are their stats for their last 5 starts (Fields versus Trubisky):

Completion %: 60.4 versus 67.1
Yards: 1058 versus 1054
TD/INT Ratio: 5/4 versus 3/3
Passer Rating: 84.0 versus 85.4

Remarkably similar wouldn't you say?

We all hoped Trubisky would take a leap forward with a new HC and a new scheme. Now we're hoping the same with Fields. That's not 'slamming the kid' or ignoring context. It's just stating a fact. Fields looks like a better prospect, but there are no guarantees.
wab wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:10 pm "Solved" insomuch as that there are young drafted players there that you have to see how they perform in 2022 (and to an extent 2023) before you draw any conclusions.
This is it exactly. We've seen something from a number of young players this season, although thanks to Nagy's obstinacy and (understandable) desire for self-preservation not as much as we should have, to hope good things lie ahead for them but it's far from certain at this point. Next year should be all about the new HC getting his schemes in place and evaluating what these players can do.
I did give Mitch a good rope. Every player deserves some minimum. JF1 actually ( at least IMO) demonstrated some arm talent that Mitch never had - so that might buy him a little extra time from me. But I expect JF1 to be consistently pretty good and not taking dumb sacks and not fumbling as much by mid-season next year or I'll start doubting him.

But the QBR quote thing, again, is deliberately presenting misleading information and ignoring quite different recency. It is disingenuous.

I don't know what I find funnier - the JF1 is a bottom QBR guy or the comments about moving guys who have shown they can play tackle to G. LOL I mean seriously what is up.

And like Plank said, Sweet Baby Bourbon Jesus, thanks Nagy is gone!
The Future is Now.

I"m bouncey, trouncey, ouncey, pouncey - fun, fun, fun, fun, fun!

MOTM League: Daisycutter
TheWorldBreaker
Assistant Coach
Posts: 524
Joined: Thu Jan 17, 2013 9:57 pm

dave99 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:32 pm I think if the last four years have proved anything it's that Nagy can make any quarterback look bad.
Some, like Trubisky made their own contributions, others like Fields were more often innocent bystanders.
Hell, Nagy might have even tanked Mahomes if Reid hadn't palmed him off on Pace.
It’s definitely plausible that Fields was harmed and held back by Nagy’s incompetence. However, after believing that the Bears had solved the QB issues when they traded for Cutler coming off his ProBowl season, I’m not going to crown any QB until I see it.

And while I hope Fields develops into the guy, I think it’s premature to say the position is solved.

Anyway, I came across a disturbing tweet about the Bears use of resources and how they’re set up for the future:

User avatar
HisRoyalSweetness
MVP
Posts: 1788
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:20 pm

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:01 pm Denver has no premier QB and drafts in a position when one isn’t available.
Denver also has two 2nd and two 3rd round picks this year thanks to the Von Miller trade (and 11 picks in total). George Paton has the 9th overall pick and plenty of ammunition to move up in the draft if he wants to. Two of the teams picking before him definitely won't be after a QB (Jaguars and Jets) and the Giants aren't going to spend both of their picks on one.

Also, the draft isn't his only option. You'd think talk of Rodgers being ready to leave Green Bay may have settled down now they have the number one seed in the NFC, but if they fall short yet again then it's conceivable he might still want to go elsewhere. Then there's Wilson in Seattle. Carroll may have nixed Pace's insane offer for him last year, but with another year gone by and no first round pick this year perhaps the Seahawks will be ready to move on.

Whatever Paton decides, all those draft picks in addition to a roster loaded with talent must add to the attraction of the Broncos' head coaching vacancy, especially when compared to the Bears, their paucity of picks and obvious roster holes.
IE wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 4:04 pm And like Plank said, Sweet Baby Bourbon Jesus, thanks Nagy is gone!
Image
User avatar
bearsoldier
Practice Squad
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:36 am

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 9:54 am Bears requested an interview with Steelers VP Omar Khan:

My second city team has always been Pittsburgh and from friends that follow the Steelers closely they do not want to lose Khan. He is very strongly considered a potential replacement to Colbert and it is mentioned in the article... Also thought the comp picks from the NFL is interesting as well.

Schefter: Bears To Interview Steelers' Omar Khan For GM Position - Steelers Depot
https://steelersdepot.com/2022/01/schef ... -position/

"Should Khan be hired be hired as GM of another team, Pittsburgh would receive a third round compensatory pick in the 2022 and 2023 NFL Drafts as part of a recent NFL resolution for minority candidates hired to head coach or executive front office roles."
"Find out what the other team wants to do. Then take it away from them." - George Halas
User avatar
bearsoldier
Practice Squad
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:36 am

Burl wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:16 pm They're not going to interview Harbaugh?
Or do they not have to report interviews with college coaches?
Or, are they prioritizing coaches on playoff teams first so they can fit them in before playoffs start?
I was not sure either... I found this article from 2019... Not sure the rule still applies would guess that it is still in place??

https://thespun.com/pac-12/usc/cfb-prog ... -its-coach

Schefter revealed a new NFL rule states teams must request permission from college athletic directors to interview college coaches. If the school denies an NFL team’s request “the NFL club should respect that decision just as it would respect a similar decision from another NFL club.”

"Find out what the other team wants to do. Then take it away from them." - George Halas
Post Reply