Free Talk: Bears HC Matt Eberflus

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:38 am I like all that! That sounds like the style defense that could restore EJax to being a turnover machine. And coupled with Cooler 4 man front comment, Quinn/Mack are pure edge pass rushers. I love it. Agree with wab I think? That we would need a few more traditional LBs on the roster. I wonder if there’s a good fit that Danny might roll into, a year off he might have some fresh legs for a final quality season
One of Danny's big issues is gonna be availability with health. Scheme doesn't fix that. But if they kept him he's prob a one down SAM backer. But I wonder of Attachou could do that too and also kick down on some passing downs like the old Colvin role.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Isn't it also true that tackling / zone coverage is more valuable than tight man cover in this type of scheme? Maybe it devalues / reduces the need for great cover corners, which we're obviously lacking in? Maybe guys like Shelley or Vildor would play better in this type of scheme?
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The 3T role is the the other big quesrion. Unless you wanna take a big bet on Nichols performing in that role and giving him a big contract, or taking a bet on Hicks health, you're probably not getting anything approaching that dynamic Tommie Harris role in 2022. So you might need to supplement with a little more exotic blitzes than were used to, but Smith is an effective Blitzer and perhaps your scouts can bargain hunt for someone who has been misused as a pure pash rusher, but would be more effective in a dynamic role where they move around alignment (basically what Floyd was misused for the Bears).

Then just focus on bodies for both NT and DT spot where you can more flexibly move fresh bodies in and out who are capable of providing different looks. Maybe play a little more 2 gap scheming than normal (which should help with flexibility for those exotic blitz schemes)
Last edited by The Cooler King on Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
wab
Mod

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:21 am Isn't it also true that tackling / zone coverage is more valuable than tight man cover in this type of scheme?
Yes. The Colts have marginal corners, but they have excellent LBs and good safeties.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:21 am Isn't it also true that tackling / zone coverage is more valuable than tight man cover in this type of scheme? Maybe it devalues / reduces the need for great cover corners, which we're obviously lacking in? Maybe guys like Shelley or Vildor would play better in this type of scheme?
If we're talking cover 2? Yea, I think so. But we probably underestimate how much the holes in a 2 deep scheme were covered all those years by Urlacher. Again, I'd expect a lot of mixes coverage still and perhaps would change a lot based on base package (~25-30% of snaps) and nickel (60%+ of snaps)
wab
Mod

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:26 am The 3T role is the the other big quesrion. Unless you wanna take a big bet on Nichols performing in that role and giving him a big contract, or taking a bet on Hicks health, you're probably not getting anyhting approaching that dynamic Tommie Harris role in 2022. So you might need to supplement with a little more exotic blitzes than were used to, but Smith is an effective Blitzer and perhaps your scouts can bargain hunt for someone who has been misused as a pure pash rusher, but would be more effective in a dynamic role where they move around alignment (basically what Floyd was for the Bears).

Then just focus on bodies for both NY and DT spot where you can more flexibly move fresh bodies in and out who are capable of providing different looks. Maybe play a little more 2 gap scheming than normal (which should help with flexibility for those exotic blitz schemes)
The Colts are pretty light up front. Tyquan Lewis and DeForest Buckner are 280 and 290 respectively. Most of the rotational guys they use are in that 290 range too. I'm sure that Eberflus would use what he has with the Bears. Goldman (if he's not sent packing), Tonga, and Blackson are pretty stout. Then you have Edwards that can scoot inside on passing downs. Nichols "could" be a fit...but I don't think he's worth a ton of money.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:34 am Seems like a solid guy and a good DC. But the Bears would set themselves up for his OC to get jobs offers if successful, which we pray would happen. Save and excepting he hires a guy like Jim Caldwell.
A good head coach brings a good defense and then we have an OC who's best years are behind him. Caldwell is past his prime, 67 and has been in poor health recently.

I can't get on board with Caldwell, sorry.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
dplank
Hall of Famer

If there's any possibility of getting Gary Kubiak as OC, I'd probably pass out from the excitement. Talk about a guy who knows how to get a run game going!
dplank
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:28 am
dplank wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:21 am Isn't it also true that tackling / zone coverage is more valuable than tight man cover in this type of scheme? Maybe it devalues / reduces the need for great cover corners, which we're obviously lacking in? Maybe guys like Shelley or Vildor would play better in this type of scheme?
If we're talking cover 2? Yea, I think so. But we probably underestimate how much the holes in a 2 deep scheme were covered all those years by Urlacher. Again, I'd expect a lot of mixes coverage still and perhaps would change a lot based on base package (~25-30% of snaps) and nickel (60%+ of snaps)
I know he's not 6'4, but Roquan is probably a better cover LB than even Urlacher was. Danny would be a disaster there I think. I do recall getting pretty frustrated with Lovie's bend don't break stuff, it seemed like teams who were patient would beat us. Run the ball and take the check downs and you can move the ball pretty easily in this style of defense IIRC.

It feels like we have the most important parts of this style of defense in place already though. Two strong pass rushing DE's, a run stuffing DT (missing the 3T guy), an elite Will or Mike (wherever we put Roquan), and a ball hawking safety that can cover a lot of ground (EJax, who plays his best in zone, watching the ball, and reacting to it). Just a few pieces missing to transition and have top notch talent ready to roll.
IE
Hall of Famer

I've never liked the 3-4 base unless Vic was the coordinator. Otherwise it just seems porous to me. I like the thought experiment: I'd like to see Nichols at 3T just to see it. He seems to fit that better than how he's been used, IMO. I like Roque at WILL with that rookie Johnson backing him and IMO you put Ogle in centerfield because he's got the cover skills and good range. Danny T might be more valuable at SAM than ILB for another few years. I see Quinn and Mack thriving as 4-3 DEs, and if Mack is gone I think Gipson and Snowden might be able to be productive. I don't really see a wholesale change needed for most positions. Tonga and Blackson are stout. We know there's a need to use a high pick on a DT so pick one for the new direction and pick up a journeyman or two and I think we're good to go in the front. I'm sort of bullish on Graham and Vildor and Shelley continuing to grow with good coaching/scheme. I'd like to see the other high pick be Safety.

I think it is more OK for a HC to be a defensive guy, as I think defensive gurus are less likely to micromanage and get into gametime play calling than wannabe gurus like Nagy who can't help but be hands-on the offense. Just my opinion.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:15 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 11:28 am

I know he's not 6'4, but Roquan is probably a better cover LB than even Urlacher was. Danny would be a disaster there I think. I do recall getting pretty frustrated with Lovie's bend don't break stuff, it seemed like teams who were patient would beat us. Run the ball and take the check downs and you can move the ball pretty easily in this style of defense IIRC.

It feels like we have the most important parts of this style of defense in place already though. Two strong pass rushing DE's, a run stuffing DT (missing the 3T guy), an elite Will or Mike (wherever we put Roquan), and a ball hawking safety that can cover a lot of ground (EJax, who plays his best in zone, watching the ball, and reacting to it). Just a few pieces missing to transition and have top notch talent ready to roll.
Feels like those few extra inches always helped avoiding finding that middle seem. Game of inches and all that.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

pus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:03 pm
Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:34 am Seems like a solid guy and a good DC. But the Bears would set themselves up for his OC to get jobs offers if successful, which we pray would happen. Save and excepting he hires a guy like Jim Caldwell.
A good head coach brings a good defense and then we have an OC who's best years are behind him. Caldwell is past his prime, 67 and has been in poor health recently.

Valid concerns with his health. Don't know how long he'd keep working if he got a job. But he knows QBs and it's all about JF.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
G08
Hall of Famer

Tackling and rallying to the football is emphasized.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 3:30 pm
pus wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 12:03 pm

Valid concerns with his health. Don't know how long he'd keep working if he got a job. But he knows QBs and it's all about JF.
Edit -- Okay Griz, I went back over Caldwell's credentials and I follow you now. Caldwell makes sense, if he's still vigorous after his illness.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
mshu7
Pro Bowler

I read an article last week about Caldwell’s health. He had legit issues. I think he said he lost 35 lbs and now he’s running everyday.
-Shu
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

mshu7 wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 4:17 pm I read an article last week about Caldwell’s health. He had legit issues. I think he said he lost 35 lbs and now he’s running everyday.
That is great to hear.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Don't know how valid this article is, it lists Caldwell, Pederson, and Frazier as the front runners. They haven't even interviewed Frazier yet and Eberflus is having a second one on Monday:

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/espn-dan-g ... 35969.html
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Xee
Site Admin

Someone pointed out that if Poles ends up hiring Eberflus, we're going to have another Ryan and Matt tandem.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

Xee wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:42 pm Someone pointed out that if Poles ends up hiring Eberflus, we're going to have another Ryan and Matt tandem.
That is so Bears. What a gas if it works.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
wulfy
MVP

Xee wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:42 pm Someone pointed out that if Poles ends up hiring Eberflus, we're going to have another Ryan and Matt tandem.
(raises hand)

G08
Hall of Famer

HC: Eberflus

OC: Caldwell

QB: Pep Hamilton (welcome back!)

Plan would be for Hamilton to grow in this offense with Fields and if/when Caldwell decides to hang 'em up, Hamilton would slide into the role seamlessly.

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
wab
Mod

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:56 am

Plan would be for Hamilton to grow in this offense with Fields and if/when Caldwell decides to hang 'em up, Hamilton would slide into the role seamlessly.
This...this I could do.

But I'd be pretty uninspired if it ended up being Caldwell as HC and Pep as OC.
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:59 am
G08 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:56 am

This...this I could do.

But I'd be pretty uninspired if it ended up being Caldwell as HC and Pep as OC.
Same here bud, same here.

Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Not sure Pep would want a lateral move here. I would assume he is looking for bigger and better things. He could possibly remain in Texas and be promoted to OC per one article I read.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

I'm still on the Eberflus bus. But I was also on the Nagy bus, so there's that. I think Quinn would be good, but I like what Eberflus did with the Colts defense over the last few years. Poles and Eberflus have developed a solid professional relationship over the last few years, and they are very familiar with one another. If you're looking for they candidate that happens to already be on Poles radar, Eberflus is the guy. To be honest, I'd be surprised if Eberflus is allowed to leave without a contract.

Per Breer of SI;
"Eberflus is scheduled to have his second interview with the Bears on Wednesday. Poles is believed to be running that interview but the two are already connected. According to Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated, Poles and Eberflus have built a professional relationship over the recent years. That built relationship between Eberflus and Poles could be the reason why the Colts’ defensive coordinator remains a candidate for the position."

He would also check the, supported by Polian and therefore McCaskey, box.
G08
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:48 pm I'm still on the Eberflus bus. But I was also on the Nagy bus, so there's that. I think Quinn would be good, but I like what Eberflus did with the Colts defense over the last few years. Poles and Eberflus have developed a solid professional relationship over the last few years, and they are very familiar with one another. If you're looking for they candidate that happens to already be on Poles radar, Eberflus is the guy. To be honest, I'd be surprised if Eberflus is allowed to leave without a contract.

Per Breer of SI;
"Eberflus is scheduled to have his second interview with the Bears on Wednesday. Poles is believed to be running that interview but the two are already connected. According to Albert Breer of Sports Illustrated, Poles and Eberflus have built a professional relationship over the recent years. That built relationship between Eberflus and Poles could be the reason why the Colts’ defensive coordinator remains a candidate for the position."

From where did you pull that quote good sir?

Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:53 pm
Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:48 pm I'm still on the Eberflus bus. But I was also on the Nagy bus, so there's that. I think Quinn would be good, but I like what Eberflus did with the Colts defense over the last few years. Poles and Eberflus have developed a solid professional relationship over the last few years, and they are very familiar with one another. If you're looking for they candidate that happens to already be on Poles radar, Eberflus is the guy. To be honest, I'd be surprised if Eberflus is allowed to leave without a contract.

Per Breer of SI;

From where did you pull that quote good sir?
It was in a Fansided article that was talking about the connections that Poles had with the different 2nd interview candidates. We've talked about how GM's have their guy. That Poles most likely went into the interview with McCaskey with a plan. I think Eberflus is Poles' guy. He's been in communication with him saying, if I get the Bears' GM gig, you're my guy for HC. But that's just speculation.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

What are the Colts’ defensive rankings by year for when this guy was in charge?
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:12 pm What are the Colts’ defensive rankings by year for when this guy was in charge?
It looks to be mid-pack or better. They went 37-28 through the 4 years he was DC. They gave up about 22 points per game through those four years, which isn't bad in today's NFL. I thought they had a top 5 run defense for awhile in 2019 or 2020. I might be wrong though.
wab
Mod

The Marshall Plan wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:12 pm What are the Colts’ defensive rankings by year for when this guy was in charge?
From G08 on the previous page of the thread:
His defenses ranked in points allowed: 10th, 18th, 10th and 9th
His defenses ranked in takeaways: 10th, 10th, 5th, and 2nd (this is fucking juicy)