Free Talk: Bears HC Matt Eberflus

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

If Eberflus brings Marinelli over here as DC we could see something special.

The problem is that he’s 72. Does he want the job? Dick LeBeau coached forever so why not?

You give a guy like that players like Mack, Quinn and Roquan and good things are going to happen. IDK if this is possible but maybe he could breathe life into EJax.

But hiring Eberflus all comes down to how strong of an OC is he going to get?
Hero
Player of the Month

UOK wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:57 am Ryan & Matt version 2.
Yep. They don't even have to change the name tags at the lunch table. Cheap bastards.
LacertineForest
MVP

Good, glad it's over now. Can't say I was all that excited about any of the candidates, but I am excited about them getting positions hired and seeing a plan come together for the future.
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Time for people to lose their shit over "prospective" OC, QB coach, RB coach and the like.

Also, someone mentioned Flip staying on. Really, WTF has he ever done for any QB on this team? A guy that was bandied about years ago for possible HC positions is still a low hanging QB coach.

I don't give a shit who is brought in if they win. there will probably be guys being OC the first time, no one move laterally.

Bears fans gonna bitch.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

:toast:

I don't see anything to bitch about yet, Otis - they coulda done a whole lot worse, I'm thinkin'
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

VA_Mountain_Bear wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:46 am Good God Dammit this HC hire pisses me off and discourages me. Colts D was not anything amazing, they played well at times, but disappeared at times too; they got whipped by the Jags when their playoff hopes were on the line. We could have just hired Desai and been the same. This HC isn't the worst, but I felt there were many much better candidates Dabol, Hackett, Flores, Leftwhich, and Harbaugh. If the current rumoring is correct that Eberlus is targeting Kevein Patullo (passing game coordinator of the Eagles) I will scream. Right now I feel like my enthusiasm has been drained away. I will hope for the best, I want bad to be proved wrong, but I am expecting 2-3 years of medicore, wasting Fields rookie contract, and doing this all over again . Screw McCaskey and Philips!
Because Daboll's offense didn't disappear for the Bills this year? Hint: it did.

You're making the assumption that Harbaugh actually wanted to come here. I would never hire an OC that had Tom Brady on the team. We don't know the whole story on the Flores fallout in Miami. I don't see how these candidates are any better than Eberflus.

In regards to Patullo. I'm not inspired either. But he did make Jalen Hurts, who is much less athletic, less talented QB than Justin Fields, look pretty good this year.
Last edited by Bears Whiskey Nut on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Sometimes this board sounds like a teen girls sleepover with all the drama.

Nobody here really has a clue, good or bad. It's just opinions spoken as truth. RELAX!

We are starting a new chapter with the Bears and the ending hasn't been written yet.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
UOK
Site Admin

Hema2.0 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:11 pm Sometimes this board sounds like a teen girls sleepover with all the drama.

Nobody here really has a clue, good or bad. It's just opinions spoken as truth. RELAX!

We are starting a new chapter with the Bears and the ending hasn't been written yet.
buT DeY DiN't gEt haRRbAW ANd dat WAs tHe BesT hirE So I AM so mad, StuPID bearZ shudDa HaD mE dO tHe HIRIn
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:13 pm
Hema2.0 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:11 pm Sometimes this board sounds like a teen girls sleepover with all the drama.

buT DeY DiN't gEt haRRbAW ANd dat WAs tHe BesT hirE So I AM so mad, StuPID bearZ shudDa HaD mE dO tHe HIRIn
HAHA! Unfortunately all too true. You can't get mad about something that was most likely never going to happen. It may have been what you wanted, but...I mean, I want a Porsche 911 GT3...so...
UOK
Site Admin

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:11 pm
VA_Mountain_Bear wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:46 am Good God Dammit this HC hire pisses me off and discourages me. Colts D was not anything amazing, they played well at times, but disappeared at times too; they got whipped by the Jags when their playoff hopes were on the line. We could have just hired Desai and been the same. This HC isn't the worst, but I felt there were many much better candidates Dabol, Hackett, Flores, Leftwhich, and Harbaugh. If the current rumoring is correct that Eberlus is targeting Kevein Patullo (passing game coordinator of the Eagles) I will scream. Right now I feel like my enthusiasm has been drained away. I will hope for the best, I want bad to be proved wrong, but I am expecting 2-3 years of medicore, wasting Fields rookie contract, and doing this all over again . Screw McCaskey and Philips!
Because Daboll's offense didn't disappear for the Bills this year? Hint: it did.

You're making the assumption that Harbaugh actually wanted to come here. I would never hire an OC that had Tom Brady on the team. We don't know the whole story on the Flores fallout in Miami. I don't see how these candidates are any better than Eberflus.
Harbaugh and Day: Admittedly wet dream fantasies. Harbaugh MIGHT’VE happened but Day was never going to.

The Flores firing made people turn their head. At the end of it though, it takes a very special and very self assured front office to tolerate somebody who when you fuck up is going to call you out on it. I think Flores is 100% right to hold people accountable. 100%. But he is his own worst enemy.

That then left the second tier or also ran type people including the whole coordinator thing I wanted to avoid.

So here we are. Another coordinator with no HC experience. From what I’ve watched of Eberflus on YouTube he comes off as more cerebral and intelligent than anything else. He’s going to need a Fangio type guy for his offense.

But the defense could be special. Very special. That being said, I don’t think gives a damn about that. All eyes are on how Fields’ develops and who Eberflus hires to handle that.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Meh, just meh. A good solid guy who knows D and should bring that edge back to the team. We'll have to see if he can lead an entire team, handle all the responsibilities for a rabid fan base and city which is Bear crazy and the 3rd largest media market in the U.S. No stepping outside the box with this hire, a typical Bears guy regardless of Poles making the selection.

Any guy successful at OC will become the hot HC candidate in 2 years. But the Bears should be so lucky.
Last edited by Grizzled on Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[Where are my old Chicago Bears and what have you done with them, Ryan Poles?
IotaNet
MVP

Otis Day wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:04 pm Bears fans gonna bitch.
Ya think??? :rofl:
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
bbaker
Journeyman

JJ Stankevitz works for the Colts now… they are about to interview him again right now on Carmen & Jurko
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Someone just texted me that Matt Eberflus has strong ties to Jason Garrett and hinted that he might become our offensive coordinator. Someone please say that isn’t going to happen!
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
G08
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:44 am
southdakbearfan wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:38 am Well, Matt and Ryan ride again.
The Bears went from Matt and Ryan...to Matt, and Ryan, who's friends with Matt Ryan.
HA!
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:44 pm Someone just texted me that Matt Eberflus has strong ties to Jason Garrett and hinted that he might become our offensive coordinator. Someone please say that isn’t going to happen!
If Eberflus hires Garrett, it might change my enthusiasm for him as our HC. Garrett was a disaster in NY.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

UOK wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:32 am
wow ... a coach that utilizes the strengths of his players to implement a system ... common sense for most teams but this is mostly unchartered territory for the Bears

I am happy the GM / HC hiring process is now complete, and am excited about the future ... which I always am after the Bears fire everyone and start over ... seemingly every 4 years or so

but THIS time will be different! .... won't it?
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

I think there's something to the fanbases here, too. We spent years watching "bend don't break" + takeaways + running game. The Colts fans had Peyton Manning and HOF pass rushers.

Flus should be a good head coach because the main feature of what he does is culture. His defense had and identity based on a collective belief in hustle and teamwork. He'll get the chance to instill that in the whole team.

Same as Poles having a scouting background I say for Flus with his DC background: please let someone else do most of that work. You're the CEO now. Defer and delegate. Spend your time making sure all aspects of the team are working together.
xyt in the discord chats
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 20, 2022 10:22 am We will be loaded at DE - Mack, Quinn, Edwards Jr, and Trevis Gibson. DT is a worry, Blackson should be good but we don't really have that 3T. Goldman, Hicks, and Nichols may all be gone and Tonga probably backs up Blackson. Could a switch like this extend the life of Hicks? I'd think Attachoa would be gone also not that it's a big deal.

I don't know how to map our LB's into this scheme. But I could definitely see Roquan playing the Urlacher role - or the Briggs role - at an elite level.
If that's the system switch, 3T is pretty empty.
I could see Edwards maybe being asked to add 15 and be the backup there.
But giving Nichols big money to play a position he never has and is an iffy fit for doesn't make sense. So no real starter there at all.

LB is also awful, aside from Roquan. We're taking a position group that previously had 2 starters/4 total and didn't have enough talent for that and now extending it to 3 starters/6 total.

I've penciled it in this way, fwiw. But a lot of these guys may be/should be replaced:
LB[6]: Jones(30/FA), Ogletree(29/FA), Smith(24/1)
Johnson(23/2r), Trevathan(31/1), Iyiegbuniwe(25/FA)
Last edited by Moriarty on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

I like that - your goin to keep your powder dry - I didn't like Eberflux until I read up on him, my own self.
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
UOK
Site Admin

thefish7
Journeyman

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 10:55 am I will be anxiously awaiting to see his plan for the offensive staff.

I guess maybe I will watch that Colts show on HBO Max now.
Took your suggestion, hammered a few beers and watched a couple of episodes tonight. Eberflus hasn't actually been too involved in the show too much. Early observation is that he reminds me of his apparent mentor, Marinelli, on the sidelines, stalking around firing guys up. Also ep 2 is focused on them mashing the hell out of Allen and the Bills, and the plan they had and execution thereof was right on.

Also, unrelated, the show is making the Colts Special Teams Coordinator, Ray Ventrone, look like a genius.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

UOK wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:12 pm
Bringing back the Peanut Punch! :toast: :boxing:
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

wab wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:20 am
The Marshall Plan wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:03 am

Why are you OK? I’m just asking.

I was all in on Flores and I hate the idea of another coordinator taking over.

Why is Eberflus ok?
Because out of the three finalists, I preferred Eberflus? Granted, it was marginally over Quinn.
This ^^
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

wulfy
MVP

This is very un-inspiring to me. With time, I'm sure I'll get on board.

This is not a Trestman Level Disaster, just strikes me as this organization having a personality type they like and not wanting to rock the boat.

Hope I'm wrong.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:21 am Let's all also just admit that this is George's HC hire. Here's why:

This is just like an example I've used before to show how this sort of thing works. This is 0% political, it's just the easiest way to explain what's happening IMO.

Rupert Murdoch does not tell Sean Hannity or Tucker Carlson what to say on their shows - he maintains separation from the editorial content and can always say, factually correct, that he doesn't intervene to drive narrative. Because he doesn't. So how is it that every Fox opinion host just happens to say all the stuff that Rupert Murdoch wants said on a nightly basis? Well, Murdoch makes sure that he hires people with the same core beliefs that he has, and in that way he knows how they will respond to various unforeseen moments without ever having to explicitly tell them.

I believe that's what happened here. I believe that George built the list of finalists, and as he talked with various GM candidates he ensured that the one he hired was comfortable picking from that list. He didn't tell him this, but a smart interviewee would pick up on this and tell him what he wanted to hear. That doesn't mean Poles had Eberflus forced on him, he may very well have loved Eberflus genuinely, but there is no missing that elephant in the room that George created IMO.

So George did all of this. Think about it, does anyone really believe that Poles did a complete and exhaustive HC search in less than 48 hours? Hell no. He was hired because he was OK with the list of finalists, and he took one day to run through that list of 3 and make his decision. This is George's hire for the most part, other than Poles could have selected Quinn or Caldwell instead. I'm really hoping Caldwell gets the OC gig.
Knock off the shit about Murdoch and his employees, if you please, good sir. It's just not a good example in a non-political forum - no matter what your persuasion..
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream

- HRS
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Before I jump on the wagon, I first have to ask: why does his name remind me of some new innovation in Deep Enema Cleansing devices--the Eberflus? lol

One initial positive--does this mean we bring back Akiem Hicks? We are short of any 3 techniques, and with Hicks and Goldman we could get a Tractor/Big Ted style 4-3 we initially had under Lovie. There really isn't much in the way of interior DLs in free agency. Hicks is the best available. If we bring back Hicks, this hire will be immediately huge for me. In the draft, we might now be looking at somebody like Devonte Wyatt from Georgia in the second who's advertised as the quickest DT in the draft.

Just some thoughts.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

pus wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:21 pm
dplank wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 11:21 am Let's all also just admit that this is George's HC hire. Here's why:

This is just like an example I've used before to show how this sort of thing works. This is 0% political, it's just the easiest way to explain what's happening IMO.

Rupert Murdoch does not tell Sean Hannity or Tucker Carlson what to say on their shows - he maintains separation from the editorial content and can always say, factually correct, that he doesn't intervene to drive narrative. Because he doesn't. So how is it that every Fox opinion host just happens to say all the stuff that Rupert Murdoch wants said on a nightly basis? Well, Murdoch makes sure that he hires people with the same core beliefs that he has, and in that way he knows how they will respond to various unforeseen moments without ever having to explicitly tell them.

I believe that's what happened here. I believe that George built the list of finalists, and as he talked with various GM candidates he ensured that the one he hired was comfortable picking from that list. He didn't tell him this, but a smart interviewee would pick up on this and tell him what he wanted to hear. That doesn't mean Poles had Eberflus forced on him, he may very well have loved Eberflus genuinely, but there is no missing that elephant in the room that George created IMO.

So George did all of this. Think about it, does anyone really believe that Poles did a complete and exhaustive HC search in less than 48 hours? Hell no. He was hired because he was OK with the list of finalists, and he took one day to run through that list of 3 and make his decision. This is George's hire for the most part, other than Poles could have selected Quinn or Caldwell instead. I'm really hoping Caldwell gets the OC gig.
Knock off the shit about Murdoch and his employees, if you please, good sir. It's just not a good example in a non-political forum - no matter what your persuasion..
Ditto. I just stopped reading as soon as his name came up.
Last edited by Yogi da Bear on Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

UOK wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 12:13 pm

Well played. :clap:
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked: