General Manager/Head Coach Interview Discussion

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dplank
Hall of Famer

Good point actually
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 6:33 pm The hope is that they are trying hard and keeping it quiet. I noticed there's zero smoke around Day or Fitzgerald either, so maybe it's a college courtesy sort of thing - I hope. That said, Harbaugh has expressed interest in the NFL and he has obvious ties to Chicago. George is a billionaire. Billionaires can be very convincing when they really want something. He can't hold a gun to his head, but he can roll out the red carpet and do everything he can to make it happen. It's the obvious move and the right move. This franchise desperately needs a move like this to inject life into it. Hiring another failed retread or coordinator isn't good enough - not this time. Read the room George!

And WTF is up with the Dan Quinn love? I'd rather have Pederson, and good lord I do NOT want Pederson, but Quinn? Why?
I think everybody needs to just slowly back away from Dan Quinn.

What does this guy bring to the table that a Flores or a Bowles do not?

Quinn is the definition of mediocre.
Artbest
Player of the Month

I believe Harbaugh is hiring new coaches at Michigan - the likelihood of him leaving for the NFL seems awfully remote.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Hoge and Jahns did a good job selling the idea that Smith would be a good choice because he’ll have absolutely no help from above so he needs to know how to do it all. He’s got the most experience and best chance of creating competent stability. This would be the “high floor” option to me. Maybe that’s all we need if Justin is really as great as he’s hinted
xyt in the discord chats
UOK
Site Admin

G08
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 7:57 am Hoge and Jahns did a good job selling the idea that Smith would be a good choice because he’ll have absolutely no help from above so he needs to know how to do it all. He’s got the most experience and best chance of creating competent stability. This would be the “high floor” option to me. Maybe that’s all we need if Justin is really as great as he’s hinted
Rick Smith literally did everything in Houston, look at his resume:

2006-2012 GM

2012-2017 GM and Executive Vice President of Football Operations
On June 5, 2006, Smith was named the general manager of the Houston Texans, replacing Charley Casserly. Named by Texans' owner, Bob McNair, Smith's appointment made him the youngest general manager in the NFL at the time at age 36. According to the Texans website, Smith was responsible for all aspects of football operations, salary cap management and budgeting.[1] In 2012, Smith was given an additional role as the Texans' executive vice president of football operations and Smith oversaw all football-related operations and the player acquisition process as their executive vice president of football operations and general manager. In 2016, he was given a contract extension through 2020
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Good read on Polian, his philosophies on building successful organizations. Kind of the anti Bears model:

https://chicago.suntimes.com/bears/2022 ... leadership

I'm not sure why Roman's not getting interview requests.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Burl
Crafty Veteran

UOK wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:35 am
Hackett.
Ok I guess he gets full credit for developing Aaron Rodgers since he arrived way back in 2019.
Previous success stories include maximizing Blake Bortles in Jacksonville. Lord.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Yea WTF is this - hard no on Hackett. He’s probably the #4 person responsible for GB success. Rodgers being the main one, he probably would make Nagy a good coach. Then you have Adams and LaFluer before you could start thinking about crediting Hackett. Just no.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:48 am Yea WTF is this - hard no on Hackett. He’s probably the #4 person responsible for GB success. Rodgers being the main one, he probably would make Nagy a good coach. Then you have Adams and LaFluer before you could start thinking about crediting Hackett. Just no.
100% agree. I'm not hyping the hype man, headliner money.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Out of the GM's, I like these 3 in order:
1. Joe Shoen: Has a build through the draft mantra and makes Brandon Beane look good. I like what Buffalo has done to build their team.
2. Ran Carthon: 10 years in pro personnel, working for 2 great teams, Rams and 49ers. Was part of the group that fleeced Pace to move up 1 spot, so he can spot a sucker in the draft.
3. Elliot Wolf: Has been Pro Personnel and assistant GM so should have some good background. Has a close insider look at the Bears as a division rival, so probably see warts that are glazed over from the inside

The coaches I'd put in this order:
Leftwich: I don't know that he's any kind of football genius, but he's always rallied players around him. He'd need to have an OC call plays in the game.
Bowles: He sucked because he didn't have a QB. I like his ability to make a defense nasty. He'd need a good OC for me to hire him.
Eberflus: High motor guy, who demands players go 100%. Works well when you're winning.
Flores: no BS coach who can make 1 side of the ball good.

Daboll: Just don't know about him. Watch a lot of Bills games, and some game scripts leave me wondering what he was thinking.
Hackett: Never looked at a Hacket offense and was impressed, before Aaron Rodgers. Ranking him this high isn't an endorsement, just would take my chances over the other rejects below
Pederson: I wonder if Reich was more impactful to that Philly offense than Pederson. Don't want to see him flame out on another young QB.
Quinn: Quinn got his name from having overwhelming talent in Seattle. Since then, he's did nothing until he inherited a great talent pool in Dallas. Atlanta D actually got worse the longer he was there. Hard pass
Frazier: Frazier is one of the great D coordinators in the league. But he's one of several coordinators who should stick with what their good at.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Apparently Jim Caldwell is “expecting” to be called for an interview as HC.

Doesn’t fill me with much enthusiasm.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

This whole thing is turning into an Airplane style Zucker spoof movie.

George Of The Jungle either must not know who he wants as GM or HC and is conducting the largest job interview process since American Idol or it's all a giant smoke screen.

Since I don't believe Boy George is capable of playing 4D chess without obtaining a severe head injury, I'm thinking they have no idea who they want.

Which is all the more pathetic given that they've had over a year to figure this out. Anybody with half a brain knew Nagy was a goner after this season and there was a decent chance Pace was gone too.

George should've been prepping for this instead of counting the family money.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Even if you want to give George benefit of doubt and say that he really wasn’t sure about firing Nagy / Pace until the final game, he still should have been prepared for a short list of coaches and GMs because he obviously knew it might go this way. And each week that went by he edged more and more towards replacement. So there’s no excuse for him not preparing ahead even if he wasn’t certain.

This all looks like he has no clue at all what he wants and is just throwing shit at the wall hoping something happens. Not a great strategy.
HurricaneBear
Head Coach

Didnt the last few searches the Bears conducted for head coach and GM have a million candidates too? Isnt that just business as usual for this organization? I swear this cycle has been just like the last time. Outside person to conduct the search? check. million candidates? check. fans complaining that theyve never seen this before and why werent they more prepared? check. ultimately hired the wrong people anyways? probably will be a check here too.

Lets face it. The Bears are incompetent. No need to be surprised every time they do something dumb. The only hope is Fields being good enough to rise above it all and drag this team to relevance.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:12 pm Even if you want to give George benefit of doubt and say that he really wasn’t sure about firing Nagy / Pace until the final game, he still should have been prepared for a short list of coaches and GMs because he obviously knew it might go this way. And each week that went by he edged more and more towards replacement. So there’s no excuse for him not preparing ahead even if he wasn’t certain.

This all looks like he has no clue at all what he wants and is just throwing shit at the wall hoping something happens. Not a great strategy.
When they were handing out brains, George thought they said trains and he missed his.
There is a GM named Poles
Who has a clear set of goals
He’s rebuilt his team
So Bears’ fans can dream
Of winning some more Super Bowls

- HRS
Artbest
Player of the Month

Actually, the gm interviews appear very specific and targeted - like the list has been compiled over a long period of time - long before pace and Nagy. Polian clearly has a plan here - whether it works or not is another story.

The coaching candidates appear to be the equivalent of an initial screening - getting information on a host of them - it appears they’d prefer to hire the gm first and let him have the final say.

Their previous gm and head coaching searches cast narrow nets - we see how that worked out

quote=dplank post_id=285309 time=1642270364 user_id=1910]
Even if you want to give George benefit of doubt and say that he really wasn’t sure about firing Nagy / Pace until the final game, he still should have been prepared for a short list of coaches and GMs because he obviously knew it might go this way. And each week that went by he edged more and more towards replacement. So there’s no excuse for him not preparing ahead even if he wasn’t certain.

[/quote]
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Artbest wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:54 pm Actually, the gm interviews appear very specific and targeted - like the list has been compiled over a long period of time - long before pace and Nagy. Polian clearly has a plan here - whether it works or not is another story.

The coaching candidates appear to be the equivalent of an initial screening - getting information on a host of them - it appears they’d prefer to hire the gm first and let him have the final say.

Their previous gm and head coaching searches cast narrow nets - we see how that worked out
Yeah, this is the impression I get too -- the GM interviews appear to be well-respected names inside the league. Additionally, you get the benefit of asking how other front offices are organized and can opt to adopt a few things.

No one is off the table yet, so I'm not altogether worried how it looks right now. We've got imperfect information anyway.
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
otis
Pro Bowler

Are there no interviews today?
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

According to Adam Jahn, completed interviews to date:

GM: Glenn Cook, Champ Kelley, Jeff Ireland, Kwesi Adofo-Mensah

Coach: Brian Flores, Doug Pederson
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:12 pm This all looks like he has no clue at all what he wants and is just throwing shit at the wall hoping something happens. Not a great strategy.
I'm hearing that the Head Coach interviews consist of a kicking competition (because that's a tried and tested way for the Bears to find a solution). Whoever makes the most field goals will get the job.

Things didn't go well for Nathaniel Hackett...

... or for Doug Pederson...

George turned up in his favourite jersey before donning a fetching yellow jacket and a beanie. He's now rethinking his strategy...

The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:58 pm
dplank wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:12 pm This all looks like he has no clue at all what he wants and is just throwing shit at the wall hoping something happens. Not a great strategy.
I'm hearing that the Head Coach interviews consist of a kicking competition (because that's a tried and tested way for the Bears to find a solution). Whoever makes the most field goals will get the job.
Can you imagine what it must be like to sit across the table from these idiots and be interviewed for a job?

I mean it's not like the McCaskey's have the best reputation in the NFL. The word is out that they're dumb.

Some of these guys go in there and give pretty decent answers. Halfway through George's brain blanks out and he starts thinking about the episode of Squid Game he lost last night.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

otis wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 2:28 pm Are there no interviews today?
It’s been said that Hackett was interviewed today but I didn’t see an official Bears announcement but maybe they’re still interviewing:

dplank
Hall of Famer

HurricaneBear wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:46 pm Didnt the last few searches the Bears conducted for head coach and GM have a million candidates too? Isnt that just business as usual for this organization? I swear this cycle has been just like the last time. Outside person to conduct the search? check. million candidates? check. fans complaining that theyve never seen this before and why werent they more prepared? check. ultimately hired the wrong people anyways? probably will be a check here too.

Lets face it. The Bears are incompetent. No need to be surprised every time they do something dumb. The only hope is Fields being good enough to rise above it all and drag this team to relevance.
This is a very depressing thought that, unfortunately, is also spot on. :-P
Artbest
Player of the Month

This not entirely accurate. In 2015, the gm candidate list was considerably smaller/more narrow. This list is not only bigger - it has every top candidate on it - not just people directly connected to Polian. The result may or may not be good, but it’s there’s no real credible quibbling with the list of gm candidates

dplank wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 4:17 pm
HurricaneBear wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:46 pm Didnt the last few searches the Bears conducted for head coach and GM have a million candidates too? Isnt that just business as usual for this organization? I swear this cycle has been just like the last time. Outside person to conduct the search? check. million candidates? check. fans complaining that theyve never seen this before and why werent they more prepared? check. ultimately hired the wrong people anyways? probably will be a check here too.

This is a very depressing thought that, unfortunately, is also spot on. :-P
Rusty Trombagent
Hall of Famer

I want fields in this offense
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Daboll just needs to run tape of this game for his interview lol.
UOK
Site Admin

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Honestly our post pandemic world and realizing the power of video conferencing the huge lost doesn't bother me. These are very likely very brief and not the day long marathon sessions that used to distinguish these interviews. Cast a wide net to screen a ton of guys and then get your short list. There's little harm here.
dplank
Hall of Famer