dplank
Hall of Famer

Another HC spot opens up in Houston.
wulfy
MVP

Easterby is VERY close to Brian Flores.

UOK
Site Admin

Deshaun Watson was also wanting to play for Flores, so that's something to consider.
UOK
Site Admin

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Crusty old Texans beat writer who has covered the Houston team for a thousand years (and whose name I am blanking on) also said that he does not see Watson ever taking another snap in Houston - Watson's issue has always been with ownership and a new coach won't change that.

Also - Schefter and others are now reporting that Jerrod Mayo is at the top of the Texan's list.

Brian Flores is too smart a guy, with too many options, to go work for the shit show in Houston.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

So Culley gets fired after one year despite all the issues swirling around Watson and a dumpster fire of a team that was widely expected to be one of the worst, if not the worst, in the league. He even managed to avoid a last placed finish in the division. Harsh, very harsh. If that's the way the owners treat coaches I'd be very unlikely to choose Houston as a destination over any other offer that might come my way.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:29 pm So Culley gets fired after one year despite all the issues swirling around Watson and a dumpster fire of a team that was widely expected to be one of the worst, if not the worst, in the league. He even managed to avoid a last placed finish in the division. Harsh, very harsh. If that's the way the owners treat coaches I'd be very unlikely to choose Houston as a destination over any other offer that might come my way.
Yeah that would seem to make people pause before taking the job.

I see this being the last job filled or being taken by some nobody.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:29 pm So Culley gets fired after one year despite all the issues swirling around Watson and a dumpster fire of a team that was widely expected to be one of the worst, if not the worst, in the league. He even managed to avoid a last placed finish in the division. Harsh, very harsh. If that's the way the owners treat coaches I'd be very unlikely to choose Houston as a destination over any other offer that might come my way.
This situation is essentially why Culley was hired. As a 60yr old AA he knew his chances were slim if he turned down a job. So he took the Texans offer despite them being a clown show and knowing he would likely be a fall guy as soon as they were done with him.

Ian Rappoport reported that Culley was fired in part at least because he wouldn't fire his OC - which is complete bullshit - Culley didn't get to hire the staff and he certainly didn't have authority to fire them. This is all being run by the two NE clowns Caserio and his assistant Jack Easterby - with full authority given to them by an even worse 'son' owner than McCaskey, Cal McNair. They're using media shills like Ian to make excuses for the hire/fire - but everyone knows what has happened here.

Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

Well said HRS.
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:22 pm Crusty old Texans beat writer who has covered the Houston team for a thousand years (and whose name I am blanking on) also said that he does not see Watson ever taking another snap in Houston - Watson's issue has always been with ownership and a new coach won't change that.

Also - Schefter and others are now reporting that Jerrod Mayo is at the top of the Texan's list.

Brian Flores is too smart a guy, with too many options, to go work for the shit show in Houston.
John McCain of The Chronicle. He’s been covering sports since the Ark landed.

This is the spot for Nagy.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Grizzled wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:55 pm
Hiphopopotamos wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:22 pm Crusty old Texans beat writer who has covered the Houston team for a thousand years (and whose name I am blanking on) also said that he does not see Watson ever taking another snap in Houston - Watson's issue has always been with ownership and a new coach won't change that.

John McCain of The Chronicle. He’s been covering sports since the Ark landed.

This is the spot for Nagy.
McClain

Not the former Senator - he's the guy who tried (unsuccessfully) to keep the Nakatomi building from blowing up.

wab
Mod

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:50 pm
This situation is essentially why Culley was hired. As a 60yr old AA he knew his chances were slim if he turned down a job. So he took the Texans offer despite them being a clown show and knowing he would likely be a fall guy as soon as they were done with him.

Ian Rappoport reported that Culley was fired in part at least because he wouldn't fire his OC - which is complete bullshit - Culley didn't get to hire the staff and he certainly didn't have authority to fire them. This is all being run by the two NE clowns Caserio and his assistant Jack Easterby - with full authority given to them by an even worse 'son' owner than McCaskey, Cal McNair. They're using media shills like Ian to make excuses for the hire/fire - but everyone knows what has happened here.
Yup
IotaNet
MVP

I wonder if the Texans told this to Culley up front?

For a long-time assistant coach in his early 60's, that's not a bad deal.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Just letting the Texans know I’m available
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural