Fixing the Bears Root Problem..

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

dave99
Assistant Coach

Pretty sure this is free. It is not revelatory but still interesting and gives a slightly different spin to the HC search

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/bears ... tin-fields
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

There are so many things wrong with this team I don't where to start.

1) We need new owners. It's clear the McCaskey's don't "get it". The root problem are the owners. If they sold to somebody like Bezos or Musk that was rich enough to write the check but smart enough to know they don't have all the answers we'd be well on our way. They know how to build winning organizations and they'd hire people who know football to run this place.

2) From the article. Yeah we need a running attack. 100% true. That starts with an offensive line. You build an above average or elite offensive line and you will do good things. Control TOP, keep the other team's QB off the field which in a division with Aaron Rodgers means everything. That would also make Fields' job infinitely easier. It also makes average WRs really good WRs because they have more time to run their routes and Fields has more time to get them the ball.

3) They need to redefine Bears Football. The rules of the game have changed. This means the way we spend money has to change. We can't have 30% of the salary cap on 3 aging defenders (Mack, Quinn, and EJax) where 2 of them have health concerns (Mack and Quinn) and another one has turned to shit (EJax). The money needs to go to offense. With Fields on his rookie deal that means OL.

If it were me, I'd build Fields the best OL in the NFL and get Monty a legit backup RB that can produce meaningful yards while keeping Monty fresh and extending his career. That would be what I'd focus on for Priority #1.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Didn’t like that article very much. We ran pretty well this season, and Daboll is an example of someone who understands the importance of the run game?

Agree TMP on the need to focus on OL. With Fields and a really good OL, we will have a solid offense.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

Read an article saying the Bears need to return to their tough gritty roots on offense and defense. A strong consistent running attack is part of this. Got to have the hogs up front to make this work as well as a good enough passing attack to keep defenses from stacking guys along the line.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

dave99 wrote: Sun Jan 16, 2022 9:49 am Pretty sure this is free. It is not revelatory but still interesting and gives a slightly different spin to the HC search

https://www.si.com/nfl/bears/news/bears ... tin-fields
Good article and yes, we absolutely need a coach who understands how important it is to run the ball.

Just last Sunday, Nagy was the consistent idiot we all knew he was... We saw the Bears have redzone drives stall at the Minnesota 1 and 13-yard-lines because Nagy called plays to throw the ball rather than give it to David Montgomery. He must have read his play sheet and then remembered the motto that got him fired. Be You!
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka