Free Talk: Bears GM Ryan Poles

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:21 am Couple third round picks though right?
Not for a Assistant role. Only if he's hired as GM.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

For anyone still wondering about Poles and his HC search, Minnesota was another team that ran a dual track HC/GM search.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/33160068
It does not sound like Kwesi is getting full control. Even the wording is funny how 24 hours in he is " already 'deeply involved'". Everything in the media since the Poles hire has sounded way different than this.
mmmc_35
Hall of Famer

I dont mind the dual search. Its actually brilliant from the admin side. I personally hate admins in general. You get info from a lot of sources and when you pick your gm. Then your gm gets to pick. As an admin you already have surveillance over the pick.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

No. Champ Kelly would be leaving to be the #2 guy there. You only get the picks if they leave for GM or above.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Bad news for the guys internally but it's good to see he's well thought-of. Here's an interview with Cunningham in 2020:

xyt in the discord chats
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

I’m really liking Poles more and more. First, he kicks Polian out and takes control of the hiring process, and now he’s looking to poach a guy trained by Ozzie Newsome and possibly creating an assistant GM role…all excellent moves.

Hopefully, the coach he hired is good.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 8:36 am
No. Champ Kelly would be leaving to be the #2 guy there. You only get the picks if they leave for GM or above.
This would be our luck - Champ is passed over again for a top gig; goes to the Rayders as the number 2 guy; next year he gets a top gig and the Rayders get 2 3rd and we get zippo.
Hema2.0
Crafty Veteran

If Poles and Cunningham nail their draft picks it'll all be worth it in the end. 7 years of Pace and by extension Kelly has not put enough studs on the Field.

This organization needs a change!
And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Caleb, and Hell followed with him.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:15 pm

This would be our luck - Champ is passed over again for a top gig; goes to the Rayders as the number 2 guy; next year he gets a top gig and the Rayders get 2 3rd and we get zippo.
He’d have to work for the Raiders for two years to get the compensation.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Arkansasbear wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 12:15 pm

Well if he gets poached in a year, no comp for the Raiders. It will need to be 2 years.

And Cunningham is a minority so if it works out well here and he's hired in 2 years, Bears will be comped.

Circling back to Champ, I don't know if him and Poles would work well together. But I hope Poles at least speaks to him. And even if he can't offer AGM, if he likes him, I hope the Bears are agressive with financial terms. I think Champ turned down a AGM role with Jets. He can still decide Chicago is his best bet to jump straight to a GM gig, but he has to feel valued.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

How could there possibly be anyone dumb enough to hire anybody from our previous regime?

Hopefully this doesn’t go the other way and we have to give up a dowry for someone to take McNagy.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:54 pm How could there possibly be anyone dumb enough to hire anybody from our previous regime?

Hopefully this doesn’t go the other way and we have to give up a dowry for someone to take McNagy.
What is this about Nagy?

Anyway all indications are Champ is well respected. And frankly some of our other guys are probably real talented. This FO never needed a clean sweep, but did need new direction and likely needs some growth too (new roles).
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:56 pm
The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 1:54 pm How could there possibly be anyone dumb enough to hire anybody from our previous regime?

What is this about Nagy?

Anyway all indications are Champ is well respected. And frankly some of our other guys are probably real talented. This FO never needed a clean sweep, but did need new direction and likely needs some growth too (new roles).
I’d avoid hiring anyone from our front office like the plague.

0 playoff wins in Pace’s tenure. Numerous blown first and second round draft choices. One disgrace after another.

Reminds of a company I used to work at. Mid size manufacturing place. They started hiring people from Navistar and they’d brag about it in the emails that would get sent out.

I reported to the CFO and each time we did this I’d ask him why are we so proud of hiring people from a losing organization. He’d never say anything. Great guy though.

As sure as a morning shit, they all bombed out. Most got canned within 3 years. The other quit within a year.

At another there was a guy that liked to brag he worked at Sears’ Corporate Office. I’m like you’re proud of that?
IotaNet
MVP

The Marshall Plan wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:02 pm As sure as a morning shit, they all bombed out …
That’s quite descriptive. And funny as hell! :rofl: :rofl:
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

No real surprise here. Was Pace's number 2 by all accounts.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

The Cooler King wrote: Fri Jan 28, 2022 2:49 pm
No real surprise here. Was Pace's number 2 by all accounts.
Yeah, we all saw this coming once Pace was fired and Champ Kelly got an interview for GM. We badly needed a total rebuild.
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
RichH55
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Tue Jan 25, 2022 3:08 pm Like Pace, and Emory before him, I know nothing about Poles nor did I know anything about any of the other candidates. They all seemed qualified to me and it's a crapshoot in my head how any of them will ultimately work out. I'm fine with Poles but not going to get excited, nor would I have been for any of the candidates. HC is another story all together, as fans we have much more access to HC performance than we do the performance of an assistant director of player personnel.

Very glad this is done so he can focus on the HC hire and we've removed the bad optics of hiring HC first - so overall I'm happy.
This is a good post

Though on all the GM hires I always felt optimistic (only thing on Pace I worried about was Cap Management - in part because it seemed like we were going to shuffle out Cliff Stein)
RichH55
Hall of Famer

rtd wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:34 am
wulfy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:54 am Lots of needs, very little draft capital.

I'd like to see focus on the WR position - would love Chris Olave from Ohio State, but I suspect he'll be gone before we pick.

I'm not sure we've solved the OT position and the interior OL is overly priced, or about to be come so.

CB is a giant need.

There is the possibility of some serious house cleaning on the defensive side of the ball .... Goldman, Jackson, Trevethan, etc
I agree with you Wulfy. From all that I have read this draft is WR, OL and DL deep. Olave is not making it to 39, but maybe the Purdue or UGA wideouts drop. Both big physical WRs but raw. The Oline is not tested (thanx Mr Nagy) and always needs new blood. CB IS a huge need but I think we will have to buy one not draft with all the other needs. There is alot of name CBs but a guy I like is Kevin King. If he wasn't hurt so often I would feel more confident.
Olave would be a great pick - my guess is he's gone by 20.

There are a lot of good WR in this draft - as there seemingly will be every year going forward

The Ohio State Tackle looks like he might be there for us
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

If Poles is able to get Cunningham over from the Eagles. It will be a huge win for the Bears. If he is given the title Assistant GM, it will be the first time we've had one. I think Poles is setting up an executive hierarchy for football operations, something that the Bears have needed for a long, long time. If Cunningham comes over to the Bears, expect us to have one of the best O-Lines in the league within a couple of years. LOVE. THAT.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 1:25 pm If Poles is able to get Cunningham over from the Eagles. It will be a huge win for the Bears. If he is given the title Assistant GM, it will be the first time we've had one. I think Poles is setting up an executive hierarchy for football operations, something that the Bears have needed for a long, long time. If Cunningham comes over to the Bears, expect us to have one of the best O-Lines in the league within a couple of years. LOVE. THAT.
Stupid nonrelated question: Do we have a Cap Guy? Is Poles expected to manage the cap too?

Anyway....

This offseason, the thing I am looking forward to the most is what Poles does with the OL. That's the last thing we need as far as I'm concerned. The defense is going to be Top 10. If the OL can grind it out we're going to be a tough beat with Fields in year 2.

The possibilities are there. We have a high second and an existing third. Trade down from the high second to mid second, get a third back. That's three picks to get one OL. We can then sign another in FA.

Rookie QB, LT (Jenkins), RG / RT (Borom), C (2nd round pick) are all on rookie deals. Sign an FA T or G. We're there.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Ian Cunningham has been hired as assistant GM. So the two top spots in the front office are former offensive linemen.

Hopefully, that bodes well for the Bears future offensive line.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:33 pm
Guys. This is SUCH a good thing. Poles is creating a real NFL front office. Something the Bears have never had. Ryan has taken this job by the balls from the word "GO". I'm really, really excited to see what this offseason, and the upcoming draft have in store.
dplank
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:02 pm

Ian Cunningham has been hired as assistant GM. So the two top spots in the front office are former offensive linemen.

Hopefully, that bodes well for the Bears future offensive line.
Wow I love this. OL focus FINALLY 🐻⬇️
dplank
Hall of Famer

Nail the OC hire next and I’m gonna start homering big time
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 6:52 pm
Hiphopopotamos wrote: Sat Jan 29, 2022 3:33 pm
Guys. This is SUCH a good thing. Poles is creating a real NFL front office. Something the Bears have never had. Ryan has taken this job by the balls from the word "GO". I'm really, really excited to see what this offseason, and the upcoming draft have in store.
This... Isn't really different structure though?

The assistant title moved a slot. Same number of high level roles.

New - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Old
GM - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - GM
AGM - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Dir Personnel
Dir Personnel - - - - - - - - Asst Dir Pro Personnel
Dir Pro Scouting - - - - - Dir Pro Scouting
Dir College Scouting - - Dir College Scouting
Umbali
MVP

As far as Champ goes...I have no idea how he impacted picks. We saw with Pace that he did what he wanted ie Trubisky and not telling Fox. So maybe Champ had good ideas and got ignored. That being said I am ALL in with someone that Ozzie Newsome trusted and maybe mentored.
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers