Free Talk: Bears GM Ryan Poles

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

The list grows. An interesting name as Borgonzi has often been listed as a name from Chiefs, but Poles is getting the interviews this cycle. It seems like Borgonzi is the clear number 2, so it begs the question with a guy like Poles if he could be getting sniffed around for a possible Asst GM role as well. I guess anybody who's added at this stage I start to wonder if they're getting names from other candidates.

Poles has been with KC since 2009. And apparently he was a undradted FA by the Bears out of Boston College in 2008. Obviously he didn't stick.
Last edited by The Cooler King on Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Middleguard
MVP

Well, the Bears' exhaustive GM search will guarantee one thing. When their ultimate choice has to be fired in 4-6 years fans will be able to point to the successful GM they interviewed but passed on.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Middleguard wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 5:48 pm Well, the Bears' exhaustive GM search will guarantee one thing. When their ultimate choice has to be fired in 4-6 years fans will be able to point to the successful GM they interviewed but passed on.
:lol:

The issue is that guy might be on like year 2 or 3 and not had all his shine worn off either.

Fans will always find the reason though.
dave99
Assistant Coach

..and for all I know you might be, what position and/or player would you be prioritizing given our needs and limited draft capital.
And yes BPA, but that philosophy does have some limiting principles.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
dplank
Hall of Famer

A lot depends on FA. We need OL and WR and CB, so I’d go BPA from those positions.
Grizzled
Hall of Famer

In order: CB and S. WR. Interior OL. ILB to replace Trevathan. DL.
Drafts are like snowflakes, no two are alike.
IotaNet
MVP

dplank wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:51 am A lot depends on FA. We need OL and WR and CB, so I’d go BPA from those positions.
Agreed here. Our number one priority is JF1 -- he needs protection and weapons.
Next priority is getting our secondary solidified.
Along the way, we need to address the places (especially on D) where we're getting old.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Z Bear
MVP

I always believe you plugs holes in free agency and improve talent in the draft (build depth). The Bears have holes that need to be plugged in free agency at WR, RG, and S right now as you need starters at those positions since there are none on the roster. The Bears need to improve the starters or depth at C, G, TE, WR, DL, ILB, S, and CB so those are the positions I would focus on for the draft.
Moriarty
Hall of Famer

I very narrowly put CB as the biggest need.

But I also rarely take CB in simulations. There's a ton of needs on this team - they're about as far away from "2-3 players from being ready" as you can get. You have to be flexible and go where you can improve the most. And the CB talent generally falls off a cliff after around 30ish.

CB, OT, G, C, WR, DL, ILB, S all could use major help.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

Draft only?

Shop around players like Mack, Quinn and EJax to see what picks we could get hypothetically. I’m not saying I would, but if somebody made a crazy offer why not take it?

We need bodies. So I’d be looking to trade down to accumulate picks in this year’s draft.

From there it’ll be WR, CB and I want a legit #2 RB to play behind Monty.
Z Bear
MVP

What is wrong with Khalil Herbert? Not to mention you have Cohen comng back so RB is far down the needs list to me.
dave99
Assistant Coach

The Marshall Plan wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 10:45 am Draft only?

Shop around players like Mack, Quinn and EJax to see what picks we could get hypothetically. I’m not saying I would, but if somebody made a crazy offer why not take it?

We need bodies. So I’d be looking to trade down to accumulate picks in this year’s draft.

Go nuts. Sign free agents, trade players for picks, you're the GM and the final word. George will stay out of your way and keep busy pestering Ted about Arlington.
I was really just looking for some promising college players that might be within reach.
Also to change the channel from the Bears version of The Voice
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
southdakbearfan
Head Coach

I trade Quinn and Mack for picks, maybe Goldman too, concentrate on the youth movement on defense with cheap FA pickups, resign roquan as the defensive centerpiece and have o-line being top priority along with WR in the draft.

If the o-line isn’t fixed nothing else matters.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

In the draft my priority would be WRs and OL in the draft unless something crazy happened. For example, I was watching a Bears mock draft to get an idea of who might be available and Nakobe Dean was available for the Bears at their second round pick in that simulated draft. The guy picked a project offensive tackle instead.

I don’t think that would happen in real life but if a potential blue chip player like that falls to you I think you have to disregard your needs and get that guy.
UOK
Site Admin

In the draft, BPA. Drafting for need is almost always a bad gamble. In FA, you look for corners/safeties and LB help. Prioritize guys with good health who are a scheme fit. Don't take fliers on guys who are coming off of major injuries.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

I'm pretty much of the view that anyone is fair game to be traded (that includes Fields) if the price is right. Granted that price likely won't ever be met. If the new GM and head coach like some QB in this draft class more than Fields and they get a top 5 pick for Fields, trade him. Don't want the whole Nagy/Trubisky marriage all over again (granted I don't see that happening).

If guys like Mack or Quinn somehow could net a first round pick, I think you have to consider it.

1 and 1A are interior OL and WR with CB a very close second.
wab
Mod

I can't accurately answer this until I know who the coach is and what their philosophy is. What kind of offense are they running? Do they prefer big bodied WRs or burners? Are they looking for agile linemen or maulers (this might be irrelevant for now since the guys currently on the roster are maulers).

What kind of coverages are they going to run? Do we need man or zone corners...same with safety. Are Mack/Quinn/Gipson going to be down linemen? If so, we need more traditional linebackers.

Generically though, based on who is out of contract: interior OL, WR, S, DL. Probably in that order.
wulfy
MVP

Lots of needs, very little draft capital.

I'd like to see focus on the WR position - would love Chris Olave from Ohio State, but I suspect he'll be gone before we pick.

I'm not sure we've solved the OT position and the interior OL is overly priced, or about to be come so.

CB is a giant need.

There is the possibility of some serious house cleaning on the defensive side of the ball .... Goldman, Jackson, Trevethan, etc
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

I would revert back to the days of Jim Finks, and put my efforts and resources in upgrading the offensive line and ignore all of those criticizing OL selections as not being impact players ... Finks took some heat and grief for his approach but it paid off tremendously ... I always respected his common sense approach to his job and how he always managed to emphasize improving what was most important

the Bears getting a legitimate OL upgrade to protect Fields would benefit him more than a splashy WR acquisition ... and I would start at LT ... overpay for an all pro there if necessary, but ensure he will be the veteran anchor for the next 5 years or more then assess the rest
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
wab
Mod

Boris13c wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:36 pm I would revert back to the days of Jim Finks, and put my efforts and resources in upgrading the offensive line and ignore all of those criticizing OL selections as not being impact players ... Finks took some heat and grief for his approach but it paid off tremendously ... I always respected his common sense approach to his job and how he always managed to emphasize improving what was most important

the Bears getting a legitimate OL upgrade to protect Fields would benefit him more than a splashy WR acquisition ... and I would start at LT ... overpay for an all pro there if necessary, but ensure he will be the veteran anchor for the next 5 years or more then assess the rest
The problem is...none of those are available to over-pay for.

The best left tackles scheduled to hit the market are:
Terron Armstead (will be 31)
Duane Brown (will be 37)
Jason Peters (will be 40)

Someone is going to overpay for Cam Robinson though, and I'd prefer it not be the Bears.

I could be convinced that Peters has a year left in him. If Andrew Whitworth can play past 40, Peters sure as hell can. That probably means you are committing to Jenkins at RT and moving Borom inside to replace Daniels. But then you absolutely force yourself into drafting a replacement LT in R2 this year.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

I'd tackle WR, OL, CB hardest in FA. (U-TE may also be a valid secondary approach to WR, receiving weapons of any kind welcome).

In draft, I'm more BPA than not, but Best Value is probably a better descriptor.

BPA = scouting methodology
BVA = decision methodology

To the extent need is a consideration of value I'm just as likely, if not more likely, to consider long term need than year 1 needs. Immediate needs are for FA.
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

Not arguing with anything that has been said previously, but DL is a BIG issue going forward. As far as I can tell, our DL is currently made up of 2 NT types, one of whom took a year off and then clearly underperformed his contract last year. And nothing else. If you're emulating Jim Finks, the DL seems clearly in worse condition than the OL heading into 2022.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Mikefive wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:19 pm Not arguing with anything that has been said previously, but DL is a BIG issue going forward. As far as I can tell, our DL is currently made up of 2 NT types, one of whom took a year off and then clearly underperformed his contract last year. And nothing else. If you're emulating Jim Finks, the DL seems clearly in worse condition than the OL heading into 2022.
It's a concern, but I'm pining my hopes they can continue to replicate FA success they've had at the lower mid tier market. Hopefully that wasn't all Pace.

Would definitely be open to it in draft as well, depending how the board shakes out.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

dave99 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 8:38 am ..and for all I know you might be, what position and/or player would you be prioritizing given our needs and limited draft capital.
And yes BPA, but that philosophy does have some limiting principles.
BTW, it won't be me, my interview went down hill after I said the first thing the board needed to was to fire George.
dplank
Hall of Famer

wab wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 1:08 pm
Boris13c wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 12:36 pm I would revert back to the days of Jim Finks, and put my efforts and resources in upgrading the offensive line and ignore all of those criticizing OL selections as not being impact players ... Finks took some heat and grief for his approach but it paid off tremendously ... I always respected his common sense approach to his job and how he always managed to emphasize improving what was most important

The problem is...none of those are available to over-pay for.

The best left tackles scheduled to hit the market are:
Terron Armstead (will be 31)
Duane Brown (will be 37)
Jason Peters (will be 40)

Someone is going to overpay for Cam Robinson though, and I'd prefer it not be the Bears.

I could be convinced that Peters has a year left in him. If Andrew Whitworth can play past 40, Peters sure as hell can. That probably means you are committing to Jenkins at RT and moving Borom inside to replace Daniels. But then you absolutely force yourself into drafting a replacement LT in R2 this year.
I’d overpay Ryan Jensen and figure out the rest from there.
The Marshall Plan
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:05 am

Go nuts. Sign free agents, trade players for picks, you're the GM and the final word. George will stay out of your way and keep busy pestering Ted about Arlington.
I was really just looking for some promising college players that might be within reach.
Also to change the channel from the Bears version of The Voice
I would shop around Mack, Quinn, and EJax.

If I got a reasonable offer for EJax I would trade him. IDK what that is. With his contract and relative performance we could be screwed.

If I could get a first rounder for Mack I would trade him. Say a middle first. 16th overall.

Then I would keep Quinn.

Then our picks would be:

1st - 16th overall
2nd Round - Trade down to the middle of the 2nd round and get a 3rd round pick back in return.
3rd Round - Two picks
5th Round - Two picks (one from the Anthony Miller trade)
6th Round

BPA in the first. Then in the 2nd and 3rd where we have four picks I'd want some combination of CB, Center, WR, and then if a can get a decent or even good QB I'd draft one. Obviously not as competition for Fields, but I think with the way Fields plays, and that a veteran backup would probably have a similar ceiling, I'd rather pay a rookie QB than a veteran at like $10M+ per year.

5th Round onwards then is BPA.

Cut Foles, Dalton and Cohen. Spotrac has us saving $5.25M with that.

I'd start with that.

If I got piss lucky and could afford it cap wise I'd go after any high quality FA OL I could find. I'd also want to sign a backup RB to give Monty a rest from time to time.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

Releasing Nick Foles, and designating Trevathan and Cohen 6/1 releases.

In the opening period of FA, outside the chance of a real splash FA signing, I'm looking for an upgrade at C, solid ILB, and several WR options that are currently available. Should several of these options dry up because teams re-signed them, then I shift focus a bit.

I'm likely keeping Mack and Quinn, but would dangle Roquan out there to see if I get a higher draft pick. With this as his probable starting point for a future contract...no thanks: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/indianapoli ... ard-25135/

In the Draft, I'm looking to build more on defense. BPA along the D line/OLB depending on what our scheme is and through the secondary. Wouldn't pass on a good player, but with things being relatively equal, the focus would be to try and make the defense dominant to allow the offense to be efficient to start.

Fill the holes in the 2nd round of FA.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
IE
Hall of Famer

Priority (in order): WR, WR, Safety, ILB, CB, Swing OT, C

I don't see how WR isn't the top priority on everyone's list. Without a top pick they may get lucky and have a good one drop to the 2nd rounder. But most likely it will need to be two FAs to join Mooney. Dazz, Grant and maybe Adams. Put it this way: Byron Pringle would be the #1 WR on the Bears. That says all you need to say about JF1's weapons.

I think they have to go one more year with only a FA offensive line patch or two this year, because of more pressing needs in other areas. I think the top pick goes to WR or S. I think DL and ILB will be patched and filled with lower round draft picks.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
dave99
Assistant Coach

IE wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:50 pm Priority (in order): WR, WR, Safety, ILB, CB, Swing OT, C

I don't see how WR isn't the top priority on everyone's list. Without a top pick they may get lucky and have a good one drop to the 2nd rounder. But most likely it will need to be two FAs to join Mooney. Dazz, Grant and maybe Adams. Put it this way: Byron Pringle would be the #1 WR on the Bears. That says all you need to say about JF1's weapons.

I think they have to go one more year with only a FA offensive line patch or two this year, because of more pressing needs in other areas. I think the top pick goes to WR or S. I think DL and ILB will be patched and filled with lower round draft picks.

I believe that if you give Fields time in a professional offensive scheme he can make do with average receivers.
For a while.
And this is not going to be a one year rebuild.
Find the five (probably 6 or 7) guys that can protect Fields and give the running game some more consistency and the offense will look a whole lot better.
Build the lines. The rest will come.
~Knute Rockne
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Whilst we're busy fantasising about trading players for draft picks let's try to remember that no matter how good the next GM is he's not going to be landing quality players with every one. There is a tendency to place far to much value on the unknown promise of draft picks over proven commodities.

dave99 is right; this is not going to be a one year rebuild. The new GM will have to fix what he can with the resources he has a available this coming season, but there will still be more to be done in 2023. However, the clock is already ticking on Fields' rookie contract. The GM is going to have to take great care that the value of that doesn't go to waste if he decides to tear everything down and attempt to build it all back up again.