Free Talk: Bears GM Ryan Poles

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Bears Whiskey Nut wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 3:11 pm
The Cooler King wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:58 pm
If he is gonna you have to think someone like Poles is his best chance. I'd have definitely been open to it, though I don't know how well connected he I'd outside of Reid and Lovie. Probably a concern.
If Toub was a real candidate, we would have heard his name long before this. My guess is that he doesn't have what teams are looking for in a HC. I mean, he was a great ST coach while he was in Chicago, but that alone does not a good head coach make.
Certainly coordinator accomplishments don't guarantee HC accomplishments - but that can be said about half of the HC candidate pool.

My guesses about Toub would be:
a) NFL teams are scared to death of being different. They all want to copy whatever produced the most recent success. Hiring STC to coach isn't what everyone else is doing, so no one wants to be different.
b) Teams constantly seek OC/DCs for their HC job with the expectation that it will "fix" whichever side of the ball they've been lacking in. (Sometimes it does, sometimes not, Matt Nagy) No one ever thinks "we just need to fix our ST and then we'll be a contender", so a STC is never the "solution" to their problems.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

IE wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:06 pm How about Caldwell, a solid young innovative OC, a solid young innovative DC and Toub as ST and AHC. Having a leader like Toub as Assist HC could free up Caldwell to work with the OC and JF1.

Just shitballing. Toub isn't a spring chicken either. But if Caldwell stepped away in a few successful years in that scenario Toub could take over and not change much of a thing like Seifert in SF back in the day... letting either the OC or DC to take over as AHC for their turn a few years later. I like the kind of continuity that could come from more experienced guys at the end of their career versus new guys that could bounce... IF they can secure and keep the fresh blood in the coordinator spots by making it clear there is a path upward in house. That's a challenge but a good organization should have assistants that can step in & step up.
Toub isn’t leaving Kansas City for a lateral move. Also, if the reports of him criticizing the McCaskey’s and their front office structure in his interview they probably wouldn’t sign off on it.

What young, innovative offensive coordinator do you think Caldwell has forged a relationship with while not coaching for the past five years?

I would almost bet money on Pep Hamilton being his OC and assistant head coach if Caldwell was hired.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

TheWorldBreaker wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:17 pm
IE wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:06 pm How about Caldwell, a solid young innovative OC, a solid young innovative DC and Toub as ST and AHC. Having a leader like Toub as Assist HC could free up Caldwell to work with the OC and JF1.

Just shitballing. Toub isn't a spring chicken either. But if Caldwell stepped away in a few successful years in that scenario Toub could take over and not change much of a thing like Seifert in SF back in the day... letting either the OC or DC to take over as AHC for their turn a few years later. I like the kind of continuity that could come from more experienced guys at the end of their career versus new guys that could bounce... IF they can secure and keep the fresh blood in the coordinator spots by making it clear there is a path upward in house. That's a challenge but a good organization should have assistants that can step in & step up.
Toub isn’t leaving Kansas City for a lateral move. Also, if the reports of him criticizing the McCaskey’s and their front office structure in his interview they probably wouldn’t sign off on it.

What young, innovative offensive coordinator do you think Caldwell has forged a relationship with while not coaching for the past five years?

I would almost bet money on Pep Hamilton being his OC and assistant head coach if Caldwell was hired.
I mean the same rumors about Ballard exist re: structure and they eventually relented (7 years later lol) I'm sure if Poles wanted Toub it would be no holdup.
Z Bear
MVP

Like I said, I am not a huge fan of Williams and would only sign him to a fairly cheap contract. I just read an article on Yahoo where they interviewed beat writers for each team asking what FA they should pursue, Williams was one of the popular names. That kind of leaves getting him cheap out of reality. I would sign Devante Adams if it were me, he is by far the best option on the market and would be a true #1 to pair with Mooney. Pretty much everyone else is just meh. Godwin would of been nice prior to injury.
IotaNet
MVP

Now THATS a program I could endorse! My understanding is that Pep Hamilton is the real deal.

Check out this article: https://theshadowleague.com/alfonza-pep ... on-sunday/
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
Mikefive
Hall of Famer

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:09 pm I gotta feel a bit for Poles. The guy started yesterday and is going to have to make a highly consequential decision pretty much immediately. Hasn't even worn ass grooves into his swivel chair yet and he could blow his entire gig with a bad HC hire.
And he can thank George McCaskey for creating a history of failure--the environment that he walks into.
Mikefive's theory: The only time you KNOW that a sports team player, coach or management member is being 100% honest is when they're NOT reciting "the company line".

Go back to leather helmets, NFL.
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

dplank wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:09 pm I gotta feel a bit for Poles. The guy started yesterday and is going to have to make a highly consequential decision pretty much immediately. Hasn't even worn ass grooves into his swivel chair yet and he could blow his entire gig with a bad HC hire.
Well he’s hired to make good selections.
If he can’t pick the right HC then he’s the wrong man for the gig. Might as well find out sooner rather than let it fester.
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

dplank
Hall of Famer

I guess Hamilton is scoffed at by Bears fans because of his prior stint as QB coach, but I’m not really sure why. He seems to have done really well since.

I feel pretty confident we will see an improvement in coaching no matter who we get next. I just hope Poles takes a breath here and makes sure he gets who he really wants and not feel obligated by the pared down list George handed him. If he really wants Caldwell or Quinn or Eberflus then fine, but I worry as a newbie to the org, will have have the capital and stones to go outside the box? Was that a prequal for his hiring, that he said he was good with those candidates?
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

I admit he was not in my top 5 GM candidates and thought he was a long shot until he got the 2nd interview... That said, I thought this tweet was kinda cool and sure does seem that many have high praise.

“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
HisRoyalSweetness
Hall of Famer

Moriarty wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:12 pm No one ever thinks "we just need to fix our ST and then we'll be a contender"...
The Packers front office might not agree after last weekend. :D
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:55 pm
Moriarty wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 4:12 pm No one ever thinks "we just need to fix our ST and then we'll be a contender"...
And for the record, both Bill Bellichek and John Harbaugh came from a Special Teams Coach background.

Just saying.
rtd
Practice Squad

wulfy wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 11:54 am Lots of needs, very little draft capital.

I'd like to see focus on the WR position - would love Chris Olave from Ohio State, but I suspect he'll be gone before we pick.

I'm not sure we've solved the OT position and the interior OL is overly priced, or about to be come so.

CB is a giant need.

There is the possibility of some serious house cleaning on the defensive side of the ball .... Goldman, Jackson, Trevethan, etc
I agree with you Wulfy. From all that I have read this draft is WR, OL and DL deep. Olave is not making it to 39, but maybe the Purdue or UGA wideouts drop. Both big physical WRs but raw. The Oline is not tested (thanx Mr Nagy) and always needs new blood. CB IS a huge need but I think we will have to buy one not draft with all the other needs. There is alot of name CBs but a guy I like is Kevin King. If he wasn't hurt so often I would feel more confident.
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

The thing to keep in mind here as Bears fans is that we’re used to having a pathetic WR corps. If they went out and got Pringle and Wilson or a 2nd rounder and Sammy Watkins we will still have like the #25 group in the league. The Bears have fallen behind because of reliance on Robinson
xyt in the discord chats
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

Question to throw out there, is Poles handcuffed with these final 3 candidates that he did not chose on his own? Can he bring in his own guys to interview that the "committee" did not interview? Were these 3 guys on Poles' potential list?
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

I don’t think he’s handcuffed, I just think he’s passively accepted these 3 from GMac.

As we know from his interview G Mac will make the final decision on hiring GM and HC. It will be his decision alone, that was quite clear from the press conference.

Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Yogi da Bear wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 11:36 pm
HisRoyalSweetness wrote: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:55 pm
And for the record, both Bill Bellichek and John Harbaugh came from a Special Teams Coach background.

Just saying.
And my namesake :thumbsup:

Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:06 am Question to throw out there, is Poles handcuffed with these final 3 candidates that he did not chose on his own? Can he bring in his own guys to interview that the "committee" did not interview? Were these 3 guys on Poles' potential list?
Why do you think he didn't 'choose' these three? Poles has been connected to each of the finalists and there are multiple reports that the Bears list was driven at least in part by the GM finalists own lists. Its also been reported that he has full authority and can expand the list if needed. Poles had leverage when he signed - and its been reported that he used it.
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
IE
Hall of Famer

Is Toub already an assistant HC? If so, I stand corrected because I thought that would be a promotion. Also he's not going to get a HC job anywhere else, so coming in behind another guy like Caldwell who has had health problems and likely only has a few years could be interesting to him. He may have a history with the organization but maybe Poles mitigates all that. I don't know Caldwell's circle but do know that he is adored by many players and coaches. I don't think any assumptions are better than others.

Pep Hamilton bought my house in Saline when he took the gig at Michigan. It is about 7 miles from the stadium in Ann Arbor. He kept it and commuted for a few years after he left (I think while his kids were in school - Saline has a top notch public school system) and then finally sold it last year. My old neighbors are friends and said he was a really nice guy.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

IE wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:58 am

Is Toub already an assistant HC? If so, I stand corrected because I thought that would be a promotion. Also he's not going to get a HC job anywhere else, so coming in behind another guy like Caldwell who has had health problems and likely only has a few years could be interesting to him. He may have a history with the organization but maybe Poles mitigates all that. I don't know Caldwell's circle but do know that he is adored by many players and coaches. I don't think any assumptions are better than others.

Pep Hamilton bought my house in Saline when he took the gig at Michigan. It is about 7 miles from the stadium in Ann Arbor. He kept it and commuted for a few years after he left (I think while his kids were in school - Saline has a top notch public school system) and then finally sold it last year. My old neighbors are friends and said he was a really nice guy.

I mentioned this in another thread - but last time I looked it up (which admittedly was when Nagy was hired) the NFL only recognizes two 'levels' of coach: Head Coach, and everyone else. So the only 'promotion' a coach can get is to Head Coach - everything else is considered a 'lateral move'. Any Head Coach worth a damn is going to allow a position coach to leave for a Coordinator position - but he doesn't have to. And naming someone 'Special Assistant to the Head Coach in Charge of Running Game Coordinator' isn't going to change whether the NFL considers it a lateral move.

IE
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 9:07 am

I mentioned this in another thread - but last time I looked it up (which admittedly was when Nagy was hired) the NFL only recognizes two 'levels' of coach: Head Coach, and everyone else. So the only 'promotion' a coach can get is to Head Coach - everything else is considered a 'lateral move'. Any Head Coach worth a damn is going to allow a position coach to leave for a Coordinator position - but he doesn't have to. And naming someone 'Special Assistant to the Head Coach in Charge of Running Game Coordinator' isn't going to change whether the NFL considers it a lateral move.
Dang I thought AHC had some special status that insulated those guys from being poached for lateral moves. How about co-head coach? LOL
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

Apparently, the assistant head coach title isn’t something that you can prevent a move from being blocked anymore. It also doesn’t address the alleged enmity that exists between him and the McCaskey’s.

In reviewing Caldwell’s connections, I think Pep Hamilton would be the best case scenario. He at least had the XFL head coach experience and has had more success elsewhere than his last stint here.

It’s plausible that the Bears could hire Caldwell and his health issues re-emerge and we are left with Jim Bob Cooter as the interim coach.

If Poles isn’t completely sold on the three candidates, hiring Leftwich with Caldwell as his OC and assistant head coach would be an idea I could get behind.

I think Fields would thrive in that offense but Leftwich has only worked for Arians so who he would hire to fill out his coaching staff is a major concerns. Even though Caldwell has been out of the league for a while he still has a wider network than Leftwich.

Plus, if his health issues were to re-emerge you’re not losing your head coach or play caller.
The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

There is no special protection for Assistant HC.

They did add a protection for coordinator spots. It has to be a bona fide coordinator spot and Goodell is the final arbiter on what is or isn't a bona fide coordinator role. That was new last year along with the other changes they made like comp picks and others.

So we can poach any non coordinate assistant for a "bona fide" coordinator role.
Yogi da Bear
Head Coach

Quinn announces he's returning to Dallas. Guess he really wanted only the Bear or Bronco Jobs.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

The Cooler King
Hall of Famer

Like that he spent 9 years in Ravens org and then Philly. Two winning orgs, one in Baltimore I'm particularly fond of. Another former lineman (Virginia).
IotaNet
MVP

The Cooler King wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:28 pm Like that he spent 9 years in Ravens org and then Philly. Two winning orgs, one in Baltimore I'm particularly fond of. Another former lineman (Virginia).
I LOVE that he's another former lineman. Shouldn't have to explain the importance of good play in the trenches.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

IotaNet wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 7:31 pm I LOVE that he's another former lineman. Shouldn't have to explain the importance of good play in the trenches.
Building the O-line is the key for any team and really like the importance from Poles.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Sounds like Champ Kelly might be off to the Raiders. Sucks - but this Philly guy might be the one to replace him.

Moriarty
Hall of Famer

Hiphopopotamos wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 8:22 pm Sounds like Champ Kelly might be off to the Raiders.
Yeah, it's very possible we look back on that with regret, eventually.
1999-2002: Mouth Off Sports Forum (RIP)
2002-2014: KFFL (RIP)
2014-2016: USAToday Fantasy Sports Forum (RIP)

Hello, my name is Moriarty. I have come to kill your website, prepare to die.
dplank
Hall of Famer

Couple third round picks though right?