Offensive Coaches with ties to Eberflus

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Listing offensive coaches with previous coaching connections in no certain order... (Nick Saban is not listed for obvious reasons and left retired coaches off the list. e.g., Gary Pinkel.)

Scott Linehan, Kevin Mawae, Mike Groh, Scott Milenovich, Bill Calahan, Jason Garrett, Dan Shamash, George Warhop, George McDonald, Frank Pollack, Wade Wilson, Josh Henson. Andy Hill, Marc Colombo

I reviewed coaching history for each of teams he had been with in the past and expect I may be missing some of the connections. Please add to the list.
“Losers quit when they’re tired. Winners quit when they’ve won.” - Mike Ditka
crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Kevin Patullo was WR coach with Flus in Indy and is now passing game coordinator in Philly. Some rumors swirling about their connection
xyt in the discord chats
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 1:17 pm Kevin Patullo was WR coach with Flus in Indy and is now passing game coordinator in Philly. Some rumors swirling about their connection
Thanks, crueltyabc... I had read he was the hot name but did not make the connection. hello Mr. Obvious, first time caller here. :)
wulfy
MVP

I wouldn't be horrified if they kept Flip and moved him to that role.
thunderspirit
Head Coach

Mawae is a good o-line coach. (It helps to have Quenton Nelson and Braden Smith on the team, mind you.)
KFFL refugee.

dplank wrote:I agree with Rich here
RichH55 wrote: Dplank is correct
:shocked:
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

crueltyabc
Hall of Famer

Kinda rooting for Pep Hamilton right now. He's had success working with young star QBs including Andrew Luck and Justin Herbert. He even did a good job with Austin Davis this year.
xyt in the discord chats
TheWorldBreaker
MVP

I don’t think most of these are realistic. I doubt he’s going to hire someone he doesn’t have a connection to, to run a different defense than what got him here.
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

This Kellen Patullo is only 40..
IotaNet
MVP

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:13 pm Kinda rooting for Pep Hamilton right now. He's had success working with young star QBs including Andrew Luck and Justin Herbert. He even did a good job with Austin Davis this year.
This right here. I'd love to see Hamilton working with JF1.
“Never let your ego get so close to your position that when your position falls, your ego falls with it.”

- Colin Powell
IE
Hall of Famer

crueltyabc wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:13 pm Kinda rooting for Pep Hamilton right now. He's had success working with young star QBs including Andrew Luck and Justin Herbert. He even did a good job with Austin Davis this year.
I don't know what happened to him with Grossman, Orton and Cutler - but he's been fairly well thought of beyond the Bears. Maybe he helped make Orton serviceable. I imagine Cutler didn't take well to coaching.

I'm very hesistant to credit QB coaches with start QB development. I always think it is "in" the QB to begin with, or it isn't. But I suppose they can help smooth out some rough edges and help a little.
Last edited by IE on Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

pus wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:19 pm This Kellen Patullo is only 40 - maybe a little wet behind the ears?
Not sure about Patullo and need to read more about him... As far as experience, Scott Linehan might be someone to seriously look at and could be a fit from his past ties with Flus... I personally would like to see Mike Kafka get a shot, local guy, born in Chicago, connected to Poles, but certainnly does not have NFL OC experience.
Atkins&Rebel
Head Coach

while no ties to Eberflus, Klint Kubiac...Isn't afraid to run the ball, knows how to utilize WR's and will give us some inside info on Viking player tendencies.
I will kill you if you cut me at the knees. You will drink with me when invited and stay til I say so. We only listen to American Music. I make men nervous with just my presence. I expect an apology if you hold. I throw linemen at QB's. Believe the Lore!
Otis Day
Hall of Famer

I like the Colts O. The believe in feeding the rock to the RB, by rush or pass. I would think a D minded HC would like his O to control the ball and not be a pass happy team.
Hiphopopotamos
Head Coach

Otis Day wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:56 pm I like the Colts O. The believe in feeding the rock to the RB, by rush or pass. I would think a D minded HC would like his O to control the ball and not be a pass happy team.
I'd rather have an offense coordinator that understands you can control the ball with the pass but that the goal should be to score as quickly and as often as possible. Hell, even Nick Saban has come around to this way of thinking (thank you Lane Kiffin and Steve Sarkisian).
Holy Shit - We got Justin Fields!

In my former life I was known as FencikFanatic.

Oh, and if you were wondering - yes I'm real. And I'm fantastic.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Atkins&Rebel wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:48 pm while no ties to Eberflus, Klint Kubiac...Isn't afraid to run the ball, knows how to utilize WR's and will give us some inside info on Viking player tendencies.
Klint Kubiak seems like a really interesting candidate and agree he mixes up the run well. I read about him a few times recently for as an OC candidate and think he might be a really good one for any HC we planned to hire.
Arkansasbear
Head Coach

IE wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 2:24 pm
I don't know what happened to him with Grossman, Orton and Cutler - but he's been fairly well thought of beyond the Bears. Maybe he helped make Orton serviceable. I imagine Cutler didn't take well to coaching.

I'm very hesistant to credit QB coaches with start QB development. I always think it is "in" the QB to begin with, or it isn't. But I suppose they can help smooth out some rough edges and help a little.
Seem like I read Cutler was a fan of Pep. Also, in looking at what he got out of Davis Mills this year, I think that warrants another plus for him.
UOK
Site Admin

dave99
Assistant Coach

Whoever it is needs to have some street cred after Nagy's Monty Python experience. Fields needs to know he is talking to a grown-up who has shown results. And not everyone can't be learning on the job.
I like the idea of Dorsey because Fields = Allen.
A Garrett hire is inconceivable and certainly indefensible.
Kafka has got a great name for a Bears coach but a QB coach from KC? Too soon.
No leftovers, please. A new broom sweeps clean.
All we need is a certified offensive genius with previous experience and is somehow available.
Easy peasy, lemon squeezy.
The secret is to work less as individuals and more as a team. As a coach, I play not my eleven best, but my best eleven.
~Knute Rockne
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Scott Linehan checks the experience box and has former ties to Eberflus... He is surely open to a look as he is tagged as an Offensive Analyst for Missouri. Very broad resume with lots of experience for sure but cannot really remember him being considered as a good OC and also failed to impress as the Rams HC.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/ ... ineSc0.htm
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

dave99 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:39 pm Whoever it is needs to have some street cred after Nagy's Monty Python experience. Fields needs to know he is talking to a grown-up who has shown results. And not everyone can't be learning on the job.
All we need is a certified offensive genius with previous experience and is somehow available.
Awesome post.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

dave99 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:39 pm Whoever it is needs to have some street cred after Nagy's Monty Python experience. Fields needs to know he is talking to a grown-up who has shown results. And not everyone can't be learning on the job.
Yes. I am on the Dorsey or Shane Day bus for young QB coaches to OC. I'd like someone more experienced, but if we're looking at QB Coaches to fill the role for JF1, those two are my favorites.
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

dave99 wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 4:39 pm All we need is a certified offensive genius with previous experience and is somehow available.
Hope we find this type of OC!

Not sure but maybe Joe Brady fits that statement?? Not endorsing him and was recently fired as a OC with limited exp, and maybe not a genius either.
Umbali
MVP

Matt Nagy is available for OC and he can show Flus the layout of the building...

I would like someone from the Shannahan tree. I like that style but honestly I just want to have hope lol
Fantasy Team: Peanut Punchers
bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Umbali wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:59 pm Matt Nagy is available for OC and he can show Flus the layout of the building...
LOL :sick: His words of advice for Flus... BE YOU
Ditka’s dictaphone
Head Coach

Nagy is still in the building, watching tapes and trying to figure out the “whys”
(26/09/2023) Winner of the inaugural

bearsoldier
Assistant Coach

Ditka’s dictaphone wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 6:33 pm Nagy is still in the building, watching tapes and trying to figure out the “whys”
Why oh why... BE YOU... Lol
Middleguard
MVP

Umbali wrote: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:59 pm I would like someone from the Shannahan tree. I like that style but honestly I just want to have hope lol
Would you name someone from the Shanahan tree that is currently available to be OC or QC that you would like hired?
o-pus #40 in B major
Head Coach

The NFL has some anti-poaching rules as I recall.
Bears Whiskey Nut
Hall of Famer

Current Mike Shanahan disciples that aren't head coaches.

Mike Lafluer - OC for the Jets. (Take any performance concerns with a grain of salt)
Mike McDaniel - OC for the 49ers
Gary Kubiak - Unemployed
Anthony Lynn - Unemployed