NEWS: Orton Suffers High Ankle Sprain, Out a Month

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Beardude
Practice Squad

It's been reported that Orton could play vs Titans. I think it's a long shot especially if it's a high ankle sprain. Orton did drive himself home after the game. Hopefully thats a good sign.
UOK
Site Admin

I'm gonna say no. The Titans are nasty defensively and I really don't want to aggravate an injury when Rex serves as a perfectly capable backup.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote: But Rex was pleasantly capable today. I think he'll do fine.
We're not starting the Rex Vs Kyle crap again, but....

WHAT F*CKING GAME WERE YOU WATCHING??????????

Completing less the 50% of your passes

About 3 ypa

One to One TD/INT ratio.

It's not just the stats either, He looked completely lost and out of rhythm. That very well could be rust and he very well my play hell, but there is no way you can say he looked 'pleasantly capable' today.
G08
Hall of Famer

For a guy that hasn't thrown a pass all season and got thrown in completely cold? I'll take a 10-point-come-from-behind victory any day of the week.

That said, a 49.0 rating is never anything to smile about.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
wab
Mod

I'm willing to chalk it up to the fact he hasn't thrown a pass since last December....but the Titans are a tough litmus test for Rexy.
G08
Hall of Famer

I'm terrified that their front four is going to kill our offensive line. Then I really freak out when I think that they are going to blitz the shit out of us and the line/Grossman won't be able to handle it.

This upcoming week COULD suck, guys...
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

G08 wrote:I'm terrified that their front four is going to kill our offensive line. Then I really freak out when I think that they are going to blitz the shit out of us and the line/Grossman won't be able to handle it.

This upcoming week COULD suck, guys...
Hell, look at it this way.......

Now with Kyle knocked out we can simply point out that we were handicapped not only with Rex under center, but considering that it's Rex's first start of the year.

I think a thumping by the Titans will be a lot easier to swallow with Rex under center then if Kyle were still at the controls.
Ormazd
MVP

This would have been a very tough test, even with Kyle.

Expect the worst
:surrender:
and hope for the best!
:cheers:
UOK
Site Admin

DaDitka wrote:
UrlachersOranjKleats wrote: But Rex was pleasantly capable today. I think he'll do fine.
We're not starting the Rex Vs Kyle crap again, but....

About 3 ypa

One to One TD/INT ratio.

It's not just the stats either, He looked completely lost and out of rhythm. That very well could be rust and he very well my play hell, but there is no way you can say he looked 'pleasantly capable' today.
The interception was a bad luck pick that came as a result of the ball being knocked around in the air. It wasn't a classic Rex is a moron pass. He did look like monkey butt for awhile but the fact that he didn't lose the game is more telling. He did enough to win it while not doing enough to blow it, that's about all you can ask of Rex.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:
DaDitka wrote: We're not starting the Rex Vs Kyle crap again, but....

About 3 ypa

One to One TD/INT ratio.

The interception was a bad luck pick that came as a result of the ball being knocked around in the air. It wasn't a classic Rex is a moron pass. He did look like monkey butt for awhile but the fact that he didn't lose the game is more telling. He did enough to win it while not doing enough to blow it, that's about all you can ask of Rex.

Then I apologize. Apparently I overestimated your definition of ‘capable’.
UOK
Site Admin

It's ok, my standards for Rex have fallen drastically ever since he got benched last season. I still wish that Rex could've taken the next step, but I just don't think it'll work out for him, at least not here.
IE
Hall of Famer

Considering he was shaking the rust off at real game speed, I thought he was OK. Rex made some plays when he had to, and helped win the game. I'll always take a "W" - even ugly ones. And I'm assuming/hoping he's growed up a bit just like Kyle has. I'm looking for him to surprise the Titans.

I like how Rex is channeling the neck beard. 8-)
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
G08
Hall of Famer

Where I come from we call it a 5 o'clock shadow, or in this instance, maybe a 7 o'clock shadow :thumbsup:
Sammy007
Practice Squad

Well, think about this . . .

"High ankle sprains" average about a 6 week healing time (give or take - everyone's different, especially pro athletes).

Now RG's the man and if he goes down . . .

This is not an unlikely scenario given Rex's injury history and a big pass rush D in the Titan's coming up Sunday.

Just a little food for thought.
Pagan
MVP

Sammy007 wrote:Well, think about this . . .

"High ankle sprains" average about a 6 week healing time (give or take - everyone's different, especially pro athletes).

This is not an unlikely scenario given Rex's injury history and a big pass rush D in the Titan's coming up Sunday.

Great point Sammy- I forgot to mention this yesterday. The high ankle sprain, which is what were currently being told it is (dont belive anythings been confirmed through an MRI yet) can have a lingering affect. QB's power on passes comes through their base, and if you have a wobbly base, you're going to suck as a QB. I fear that Orton will have a bad second half this year because of this injury.
Meaning it hasnt been announced as a season ending injury but it could very well be.

pagan
Sammy007
Practice Squad

Pagan wrote:

Great point Sammy- I forgot to mention this yesterday. The high ankle sprain, which is what were currently being told it is (dont belive anythings been confirmed through an MRI yet) can have a lingering affect. QB's power on passes comes through their base, and if you have a wobbly base, you're going to suck as a QB. I fear that Orton will have a bad second half this year because of this injury.
Meaning it hasnt been announced as a season ending injury but it could very well be.

pagan
Yeah, I was thinking his return at best would be playoffs . . .

But I'm trying to convince myself to think positively, and hope his time off will be limited to a month. :thumbsup:
MamaBear
Player of the Month

Ugh. This is scary.
UOK
Site Admin

I figured the Bears would be 2-14 this year, so the fact they've already won 5 games is a wonder to me, so I'm already pleased with their progress. If the honeymoon is over, so be it.
MamaBear
Player of the Month

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:I figured the Bears would be 2-14 this year, so the fact they've already won 5 games is a wonder to me, so I'm already pleased with their progress. If the honeymoon is over, so be it.
See, ME? I JUST started to get my hopes up....so this hurts. Probably better now than later though. Our D is sure stinking it up and if they are really as bad as they look...it's probaby better just to peter out now. A defense like the one that played Sunday, well, they aren't going to make it past the first play-off game anyway. And that sucks. Although...it also sucks to to just plain suck and not make it to the playoffs at all. Sigh. I'm bummed KO is hurt, I really am.