I'm just gonna say it...

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Thatguybil
Practice Squad

Halas85 wrote:This is, what, the fifth season in a defense based around the philosophies of the Cover-2? Yet, this year he's struggling to make any type of impact. In past seasons, he still managed to make his presence felt, racking up tackles, deflecting passes, pulling in the occasional INT, forcing the occasional fumble, etc. Now I don't expect this from him every game, but even a big tackle now and then would be nice to see. But we've basically gotten nothing from him this season that sets him apart as the great player we've come accustomed to seeing.

So I'm not buying the argument that the Cover-2 is ruining his career. In many ways, the Cover-2 plays toward his strengths: his quickness, his ability to cover the field from sidelines to sideline, etc. Urlacher never was particularly great at busting through blockers for the sack or taking on blockers head-on. He seems to be at his best in the open field when he can turn the burners on, chase down runners and cover RBs/TEs. The bottom line is there's something wrong with this guy. I'm not a big fan of the Cover-2 either, but no scheme has ever taken tackles and impact plays from Urlacher in the past.
The Cover-2 did play to his stregnths. Back when he still had that amazing lateral movement and very good recovery speed.

He no longer is anything more then above average at those things.

If this defense is going to play at a high level week to week its going to have to happen based on the play of #91. If he plays at an All-Pro level the defense will look good. If he plays inconsistant like he has for the most part, then look for the Bears Defense to be inconsistant and average.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Thatguybil wrote:If this defense is going to play at a high level week to week its going to have to happen based on the play of #91.

So I guess we're f*cked then. :angry:
Beardude
Practice Squad

DaDitka wrote:
Thatguybil wrote:If this defense is going to play at a high level week to week its going to have to happen based on the play of #91.

I thought Harris played well yesterday. I believe the old Tommy is just about back.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

Beardude wrote:
DaDitka wrote:

I thought Harris played well yesterday. I believe the old Tommy is just about back.
I thought he looked 'better' but after getting the fat deal and just hearing how he's been around HH, I doubt we'll ever see the 'old' Tommie again.
Pagan
MVP

If this defense doesnt figure out how to pressure the QB without blitzing 25 times a game the Bears are going to lose 3 out of the next 4 games.

pagan
UOK
Site Admin

I'm gonna say this, too...

Mark Anderson = done. Bye. He's completely been figured out, and is ineffective at d-end. Seeya, and don't you let the door hit you in the ass.
IE
Hall of Famer

Agree on Url... watched the game with my son ... he was wearing his #54 jersey ... and sometime around halftime he asked, "is Urlacher playing, Dad?". That sums it up.

Agree on Mark Anderson too ... should have tried to trade him while his stock was up, under the story that Alex was being re-signed & he wasn't needed.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Sammy007
Practice Squad

Glad to hear I'm not the only one who was thinking this.

Every time the D is on the field, I am wondering where the hell is Urlacher?!

Previous years, if he wasn't directly involved in the play, he was about 3 steps away.

Whatever the reason, it is a huge letdown.