For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Pagan
MVP

Packers: Urlacher's numbers take a dive
By JASON WILDE
608-252-6176 (feel free to call)
jwilde@madison.comImage
GREEN BAY — The numbers are very un-Brian-Urlacher-like.

Entering Sunday's game against the Green Bay Packers at Lambeau Field, the all-pro middle linebacker ranks third on the Chicago Bears in tackles (64), hasn't recorded a sack and has yet to intercept a pass or force a fumble so far this season.

For a guy who was selected to six Pro Bowls in his first eight NFL seasons and who entered the year with 37.5 sacks and 15 interceptions in his career, that simply isn't good enough.

"Brian hasn't made as many plays so far this year as he has in the past," Bears coach Lovie Smith acknowledged during a conference call with Wisconsin reporters Wednesday. "(But) that's the beauty about having so much football to go. We've been disappointed with some things we've done defensively, but at the same time we're pleased with some of the things we've done. Brian has been a part of that. I'm hoping he'll, along with the rest of us, pick it up a little this week."

Urlacher, who battled through back problems last year, said his health isn't an issue, and he also passed up a chance to blame Smith's Tampa-2 defense, which drops him into coverage fairly often, for limiting his opportunities to make plays.

"I mean, I won (NFL) Defensive Player of the Year in this scheme (in 2005), so I must've been doing something right," Urlacher said. "Just getting myself in more positions to make plays, that's what it comes down to. It has nothing to do with the scheme or the calls."

The Packers had the same issue with their starting middle linebacker, Nick Barnett, who had a team-best 68 tackles but no sacks, no interceptions and one forced fumble before suffering a season-ending torn ACL in his right knee last week at Minnesota.

Urlacher, though, is actually getting some blitzing opportunities because the Bears' front four hasn't generated a consistent pass rush. The problem? His blitzes haven't gotten home.

"We've actually been close to the line of scrimmage a bunch this year. We've actually tried to attack more this year," Urlacher said. "We haven't gotten sacks, but we've been blitzing quite a bit."

Urlacher laughed when asked whether being on the other side of 30 now — more "veteran" as it were — has slowed him down.

"I like the way you put that, more 'veteran.' That's good," Urlacher said. "You know what? Obviously everyone knows about my back last year, but I feel a lot better this year. My back isn't bothering me as much. I feel pretty good for the most part. We've all got aches. It's Week 11, we've all got aches when we wake up in the morning, but I don't think I'm any worse than anybody else."
Beardude
Practice Squad

I'm just hoping Urlacher bounces back and starts being a force on Defense.

No doubt it would be nice if it started Sunday against the green and mustard.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

He got off to a slow start last year. The weather is getting colder and the the games are getting more and more important, it's time for the real Brian Urlacher to please stand up.