For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BearsNews
Assistant Coach

Julius Peppers will help Chicago Bears on special teams
Addition of Peppers beefs up defense against FGs, PATs

July 27, 2010
BY SEAN JENSEN sjensen@suntimes.com

Since the NFL started tracking blocked kicks in 1978, Peppers is second only to Cleveland Browns defensive tackle Shaun Rogers (16) with nine. Toub is excited because Peppers will team with Israel Idonije to comprise a unit that will strike fear into the hearts of kickers and special-teams coordinators.

''When I heard we were looking at him, I was excited about that,'' Toub said, referring to Peppers and his penchant for blocking kicks. ''But I'm not sure that's the main reason we got him.

''That's a bonus, really.''

The 1979 Minnesota Vikings hold the NFL record for most blocked extra points and field goals in a single season with 12, according to the Elias Sports Bureau. The 1987 Bears are second with nine.

The Bears have had a league-high 18 blocked extra points, field goals and punts since he took over the unit in 2004.

''We've been known, as a unit, to block kicks, especially in critical situations,'' said Idonije, who is tied for fourth with six blocked kicks. ''Now you bring in another leader, hey, that's great.

''That's a great addition for that unit. I know that that's something we'll focus on.''

But Baltimore Ravens coach John Harbaugh said not to discount another key player to the Bears' kick blocking: Toub.

''Dave Toub is like the master of blocking field goals,'' Harbaugh said.

Harbaugh worked with Toub from 2001 to '03 with the Philadelphia Eagles. Not lacking confidence, Toub immediately called out a goal to Harbaugh.

''He guaranteed me we would block seven extra points or field goals that first year,'' Harbaugh recalled. ''I'm like, 'Dave, have at it, man.'''

The Eagles fell short of that mark, but Harbaugh said they got a couple.

''That was good,'' he said. ''We were happy.''

Separately, Peppers and Idonije are the sort of players opposing teams have to keep an eye on. But teams can't overcompensate Harbaugh said.

''Then you let someone else block it,'' he said.

Tennessee Titans coach Jeff Fisher said his team prepares accordingly when facing a unit with a knack for blocking kicks.

''It becomes an emphasis for you during the week. You have to set up extra periods,'' Fisher said. ''If we're playing a team that can rush the kicker, then that will be as important as our first-down offense.''

Longtime NFL special-teams coach Gary Zauner said the Bears will have a ''psychological advantage'' over opponents.

''That's a good problem to have for the Bears,'' said Zauner, who coached special teams in the NFL for 13 seasons. ''The [other] teams will try to kick faster or higher. It's like having two defensive ends leading in sacks.''

Besides, an actual blocked kick isn't the only positive result.

''You get up there, push the line and get your hands up, they feel that,'' Idonije said of kickers. ''Maybe he shanks. You never know what variable will cause the kick to go wide or short, or high.''

Idonije said his goal is to block three kicks each year, and he admitted that he's chasing Rogers.

''My goal has always been to lead in that category,'' he said.

But he and Peppers insisted that they have notched all their blocks because of players around them.

''My name is on it and his name is on it, but it's really the units that we played on, the coach and the scheme that's designed for us to come free,'' Peppers said. ''Without someone outside of me getting those players off of me, I'm not able to come through.''

Peppers declined to name a target number for himself or the team, but he added that he hopes someone gets one early.

''Then,'' he said, ''it'll really be on people's minds.''