McClure: Bears' Harris says health woes past

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BearsNews
Assistant Coach

Bears' Harris says health woes past
Oft-injured defensive tackle says if he sits it will be for rest rather than knee issues

By Vaughn McClure, Tribune reporter
8:59 p.m. CDT, July 29, 2010

BOURBONNAIS — If Tommie Harris spends time on the sideline during training camp, it won't be his decision. But he won't argue with it, either.

The Bears defensive tackle says he's is fully healthy after years of recovering from an ailing left knee.

"I'm more than able to go through every practice,'' Harris said upon reporting to camp Thursday evening. "I was more than able last year, also. But I do what the doctors tell me to do. I do what coach (Lovie) Smith tells me to do. … I have gotten up in age (27) since I've been playing. If they say I need to sit, I'll sit. I don't think the championship or the Super Bowl is won in training camp.''

Harris was asked if it would be good to have a couple of days off during training camp.

"Not a good thing, a great thing,'' he said. "But I'm looking forward to going through every practice. And that's how it's going to be. … The older I get now, I can understand when a vet needs to sit out. But due to injury? No. But just to rest and to be smart for the season? Definitely.''

Back in action: Smith said all 80 players would be healthy and ready for Friday's first practice. That includes center Olin Kreutz, who is back after surgery on his Achilles. Kreutz actually returned at the end of organized team activities.

"Yeah, I'm ready to go," Kreutz, said. "And hopefully the foot feels better.

"When you have surgery, you have to go through rehab. It's probably a little bit tougher in your 13th year, but everybody has a tough time when you have surgery. I did the rehab I had to do and I'm trying to get back."

Tight end Brandon Manumaleuna, who was held out this offseason, appears to be recovered from knee surgery. And linebacker Pisa Tinoisamoa is unsure what his practice regimen will be coming off last year's knee injury.

Extra points: Defensive lineman Israel Idonije reported at a slim 265 pounds and sounded confident he can compete with Mark Anderson at defensive end. … Receiver Devin Hester on whether the Bears are playing for Smith's job. "We have to save our own jobs. We can't worry about the coaches. At the end of the day, players have to go out and make plays.'' … The Bears hired James Kirkland as a pro scout. He joins Kevin Turks and Dennard Wilson under new director of player personnel Tim Ruskell. Kirkland spent the last six seasons working for the Browns. … The Bears had "Monsters of the Midways'' T-shirts waiting for them in their dorm rooms.

Tribune reporter Brad Biggs contributed.