For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BearsNews
Assistant Coach

Bears tight ends active on 1st day
Opening practice at training camp shows many 2-tight end sets

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter
10:53 p.m. CDT, July 30, 2010

BOURBONNAIS — Apparently, the demise of the tight end in the Mike Martz offense has been greatly exaggerated.

So has been the idea that 33-year-old Desmond Clark will not have a role because the team paid handsomely to acquire the services of Brandon Manumaleuna , a tight end who is essentially a third offensive tackle whom the team lists at 295 pounds.

It was Clark, in his eighth season with the club, who was the star of Friday's first training camp practice. He made a nifty grab of a Caleb Hanie pass along the sideline and showed off the skills he used as a wide receiver at Wake Forest to make multiple receptions with outstretched arms deep down field. Suffice to say, he isn't going to the second team quietly.

"You take it personally when you're not where you think you should be," Clark said. "But all you can do is go out and fight and try to prove yourself, so that's what I'm doing."
Register with Chicago Tribune and receive free newsletters and alerts >>

Clark got limited time with the first team. Manumaleuna and Greg Olsen split the majority of snaps with starters, and there were plenty of two tight end formations. Cutler threw nine of his 31 passes in seven-on-seven and team drills to tight ends.

"I heard an awful lot about the tight end not being involved," coach Lovie Smith said. "I think the tight ends are the only guys you guys were talking to. It was good to see all of them make plays."

Like Olsen, Clark didn't know how he fit into things after Martz was hired. Due a $475,000 roster bonus at the beginning of March, he wasn't sure if he would see the check, and league sources said the Bears discussed options with Clark before paying him.

With a base salary of $1 million in this, the final year of his contract, Clark is valuable because he also blocks effectively and is a strong presence in the locker room. Broken ribs and a neck injury cost him five games last season, three more than he missed in the previous six years, but he's healthy and motivated.

"I heard a whole lot of talk, trade talk, I might be released, but the bottom line is I am still here and they have told me I have a role," Clark said. "It's all about playing football at this point."

Extra points: Josh Beekman got the first crack at left guard, but that position is a work in progress; Johan Asiata also is getting a look there. … Martz isn't tolerating errors on the line. When Frank Omiyale had a false start at right tackle in one drill, he got the hook and was replaced by Kevin Shaffer. Manumaleuna was also pulled for a similar infraction. … Defensive end Julius Peppers, a hit with the fans, on the big expectations: "It's something I've dealt with my whole life, so it's nothing new. I relish the role, and I'm sure that I can live up to all the expectations and do what's expected." … Defensive tackle Tommie Harris practiced with a brace on his left knee. … Rookie defensive end Corey Wootton looked quick and under control in individual drills. A slimmed down Jarron Gilbert, listed at 285, also looked good. … Backup quarterback Hanie was accurate and drew praise from Smith.

bmbiggs@tribune.com