McClure: Tight ends play big part on first day of camp

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BearsNews
Assistant Coach

Tight ends play big part on first day of camp

By Vaughn McClure
July 30, 2010 6:18 PM

BOURBONNAIS -- Who said the tight end wouldn't be a part of Mike Martz's offense?

Bears veteran Desmond Clark dispelled that theory throughout Friday's first day of training camp, snatching pass after pass during full-team drills.

It figured Clark, running with the second team, would have a big day after hauling in a one-handed pass during individual drills. He followed with a leaping catch off a pass from Caleb Hanie and a couple of crowd-pleasing, all-out stretches off passes from Jay Cutler. Clark nearly had another one-hander near the end of practice but Danieal Manning knocked the ball away.

"It is always good to get the first practice underway,'' coach Lovie Smith said. "You want to see what type of condition the guys are (in). We were out here for over two hours and they worked hard throughout. When you are not in pads there is only so much you can see but I liked what I saw.

"I have heard an awful lot about the tight end not being involved in our offense. I think the tight end are the only guys you guys were talking to today. So it was good to see all of them make plays, Dez Clark, Greg (Olsen), all the way down the line. The quarterbacks really threw the ball well today.

Of course, the team wasn't in full pads and it's too early to tell how Martz plans to use the tight end. But for a guy whose job was supposed to be in question after the Bears signed blocking tight end Brandon Manumaleuna, Clark made quite an early statement.

Here are some other first-day observations.

• Cutler was sharp, for the most part. His first meaningful pass was dropped by Johnny Knox then the second was nearly picked by Charles Tillman. Matt Forte and Devin Hester also has drops. But Cutler caught fire during full-team drills. And Hester made him look good, too, with an outstanding leaping catch between Tillman and Manning.

• Zack Bowman looked like the promising talent he has been over the last year, making a falling interception on a pass intended for Earl Bennett. Craig Steltz had an interception, as did Jarron Gilbert off a tipped pass.

• Josh Beekman ran with the first team at left guard. As a previous starter there, he is sure to get the first look over his younger competitors.