For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BearsNews
Assistant Coach

Bears spar in friendly competition
LBs Roach, Tinoisamoa enjoy mutual respect as they battle for starting spot

August 7, 2010
BY SEAN JENSEN sjensen@suntimes.com

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- Nick Roach recoils when he hears the word ''compete,'' even though he and Pisa Tinoisamoa are doing just that for a second consecutive Bears training camp.

''We're not the ones who call it a competition,'' Roach said. ''We just play the plays that we get.''

While Roach takes the more figurative approach, Tinoisamoa takes the more literal one.

''There's two of us and only one spot, so it's a competition,'' he said. ''But it's not like we hate each other.''

There are a handful of unsettled starting spots, but strong-side linebacker is one of the more appealing and intriguing ones. First, the winner gets to play with Brian Urlacher and Lance Briggs, who have achieved a combined 11 Pro Bowls.

Neither Roach nor Tinoisamoa is short on experience (24 starts for Roach, 85 for Tinoisamoa), and they've both succeeded in the defense.

''They fit this system to a T, and they'd fit anybody's system because they're both smart, physical, and they're both fast with instincts," Bears defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. ''We're very blessed.''

But the question is, for how long?

Both players are under one-year contracts.

The Bears have nine linebackers on the roster, and they typically carry six for the season. Whether he wins the job or not, Roach would appear a roster lock alongside veteran Hunter Hillenmeyer and special-teams ace Tim Shaw. If Tinoisamoa loses the job, he would also appear to be safe because he's so familiar with the defense, and his base salary is $875,000.

The X-factor is Brian Iwuh, an athletic linebacker who has flashed potential in the offseason and early in training camp before a knee injury.

If he can return from injury and assert himself, Iwuh could compel the Bears to keep seven linebackers, although the odds are against him because teams typically give the benefit of the doubt to a cornerback or defensive lineman.

As the incumbent, Roach has received the bulk of the starting reps, but Tinoisamoa also has gotten some.

''It's a good competition,'' coach Lovie Smith said. ''Nick Roach has played good football for us. Pisa has done the same.

''They have battled throughout.''

But Roach has looked better, and he's certainly more athletic, a point Tinoisamoa conceded.

Asked how he's feeling after missing 14 games because of a knee injury, Tinoisamoa playfully said Wednesday, "I'm older now.

''I'm 80 percent of what Roach is right now.''

That appears to be the case, and Tinoisamoa added Thursday that he does feel the pressure to be more athletic because of Roach.

''Injuries suck,'' Tinoisamoa said Thursday, ''but I feel great.''

Having played for Smith in St. Louis, Tinoisamoa had a commanding advantage last training camp because of his familiarity with the scheme. But Roach surely closed that gap with 15 starts last season.

''[The starts] meant a lot, confidence-wise, to know that you can actually do it,'' Roach said. ''It's one thing to do it in practice or even the preseason. But until you get into a real game, you just never know.''

But Roach said Tinoisamoa was very helpful in preparing him to play last season.

''I never really stopped learning from him because he's such an experienced vet,'' Roach said. ''He was successful for a long time, and he still is for a reason.

''So I just try to stay under his shadow, so to speak, and see what he does.''

In addition to his work ethic, Tinoisamoa made Roach realize that he needed to alter his mind-set.

''If you see Pisa, he's always got a smile on his face, no matter what,'' Roach said. ''Just having that approach allows you to enjoy it a little bit more.

''I didn't have that happy-go- lucky, smash-heads attitude."

But whoever wins the job, Tinoisamoa said the goal is to establish the Bears' linebackers as the league's best unit.

''Everyone knows Lance, everyone knows [Urlacher],'' Tinoisamoa said. ''Nobody knows about us. That's how Nick and I feel.

''We're trying to show that we belong with these linebackers, and we can be the best in this league.''

Even now, Tinoisamoa said, the Bears group feels like it's the best.

''Now we got to show it, and if we do,'' he said, ''we can take this defense to a whole other level.''