For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BearsNews
Assistant Coach

Bears' Wright pops back into action
Rookie safety makes presence known in 7-on-7 drills

By Brad Biggs, Tribune reporter
10:06 p.m. CDT, August 8, 2010

BOURBONNAIS — Some minor muscle pulls are healing in time for the Bears to be able to get a good look at some young players entering the second full week of training camp.

Safety Major Wright, a third-round draft pick, returned to participate in both practices Sunday. He had missed five practices after tweaking his groin on Aug. 2. Now, he'll get a better look in the secondary and should be in play for special teams coordinator Dave Toub, provided there isn't a setback. Wright made his presence known when he popped wide receiver Rashied Davis in the back of the end zone to break up a pass during seven-on-seven drills.

"That was me just playing football and going for the ball," Wright said. "It would have definitely been (a harder hit) in a game. I have to protect my teammates."

Wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias, who missed a week with a quad pull, returned for Friday night's practice at Soldier Field and has received a few reps with the first team. The third-round pick a year ago has much to prove at a position where there is quality young talent competing. Iglesias impressed management and coaches in the offseason, but the real evaluation is with pads on, and he has to earn his way onto the 53-man roster.

"I am out here trying to battle for a spot and when you're not out there practicing and guys are out there making plays, it's frustrating," Iglesias said.

The first four receivers look fairly set: Johnny Knox, Devin Hester, Devin Aromashodu and Earl Bennett. The Bears could have five or six on the roster, and that low on the totem pole, special teams will be a primary consideration.

Hester has been out since Thursday with a groin injury. Also day-to-day are safety Danieal Manning (hamstring), Bennett (hamstring) and defensive end Mark Anderson (groin). Cornerback Zack Bowman had his right knee wrapped in ice and left practice early.

Staying or going? The Bears have signed on to return to Olivet Nazarene University for a 10th training camp in 2011 — provided there is football — but where they head in late July in summers to come remains undecided. A team source said that while the club is happy with the facilities and people at ONU, ongoing discussions are being held with Lewis University in Romeoville, and that remains a possible destination for camp in 2012. The source said holding a camp that is closed to the public at Halas Hall is not an option at this point because the team wants to keep camp available to fans.

Extra points: Quarterback Mike Teel has missed a week with a pulled hamstring. It's a frustrating situation for the recently signed QB, and given the nature of the injury, he could be shelved another week or two. … Pisa Tinoisamoa got some good time with the first team at strong-side linebacker. … Cornerback Tim Jennings made a nice play on a deep ball from Jay Cutler in one-on-one drills.