Mayer: Underrated Adams an integral member of defensive line

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Adams is another guy, like Hillenmeyer or Garza, that everyone wants/tries to replace, but he just keeps coming. I think he's too small and I'm guilty of always wanting to upgrade his spot, but you gotta love his attitude and production...

Underrated Adams an integral member of defensive line

By: Larry Mayer | Last Updated: 8/8/2010 2:35 PM

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. – Unless you’re looking at an alphabetical roster, Anthony Adams probably won’t be the first name that comes up in a typical discussion about the Bears.

That’s especially true on a veteran defensive line that boasts two stars in end Julius Peppers and tackle Tommie Harris who have been voted to a combined eight Pro Bowls.

But just because Adams is underrated doesn’t mean that he’s necessarily underappreciated, at least as far as Bears defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli is concerned.

“He’s had a very, very solid camp,” Marinelli said. “Each and every day he comes out and [not only]works and knows his job, but he expands his job. What I mean by that is he’s a sideline-to-sideline player as a nose tackle. He’s got rare rush ability for a nose. He’s very good and very consistent.”

Last season Adams led Bears defensive linemen with 42 tackles while also establishing career highs with two fumble recoveries and seven tackles-for-loss. Despite that production, it seems that he once again must prove himself this summer in training camp to earn playing time.

“That’s basically what you’ve got to do every year in this job,” said Adams, who signed with the Bears in 2007 after spending his first four seasons with the San Francisco 49ers. “I must be doing something right; this is year eight for me. But you can’t really get too comfortable. You’ve just got to keep grinding.”

Adams hopes to maintain his starting job, but that isn’t his most pressing goal.

“I’ve never been to the playoffs my whole career, so I want to get to the playoffs and win the Super Bowl,” he said. “However we get there, I’m not going to complain about anything. I’m just going to be who I am as a player and as a man ands just try to contribute to the team.

“It really doesn’t matter. I would like to [start], but coaches coach and players play. I just try to keep everything simple, just like at nose guard: ‘I got the A gap.’ Just keep it simple. That’s my motto.”

Hustle up: Known for his non-stop motor, Adams has spotted the same quality in Peppers, who signed with the Bears in March after compiling 81 sacks in eight seasons with the Carolina Panthers.

“He’s got that tenacity, he’s got that won’t-quit attitude,” Adams said. “He’s trying to get to the ball carrier every time, whether it’s a wide receiver, running back or quarterback. Whoever’s got the ball, he’s trying to try and get him.”

Peppers hasn’t had to say a whole lot to impress his new teammates.

“Usually when you’re new to a team you really don’t say too much, you’re kind of reserved,” Adams said. “But he’s been going about his business and putting good film together and getting to the passer and whoever has the ball. I think he’s a great addition to the team.”

In great shape: Adams and Peppers aren’t the only defensive linemen who’ve performed well in training camp. Harris has also turned heads, including some who line up right next to him.

“He looks good,” said defensive end Israel Idonije. “His attitude is back to where it was. He’s playing hard. You watch snap-after-snap, he’s the first one off the ball, and that’s what we expect of him.

“He’s got to be that spark in the engine for us. Every practice he’s done better, and by that first game in September, we’ll be in great shape.”

Raising his game: Winning a training camp competition with Nick Roach for the starting strongside linebacker position is only part of the challenge facing veteran Pisa Tinoisamoa.

“Although it’s Nick and I, we’re kind of battling to be with [fellow linebackers] Brian [Urlacher] and Lance [Briggs],” Tinoisamoa said. “We’re always looked as the other guy. Everyone knows Lance, everyone knows ‘Lach. Nobody knows about us and that’s kind of how Nick and I feel. We’re not only competing against each other, we’re trying to show that we belong with these linebackers and that we can be the best in the league.”

Tinoisamoa, who has been working with the No. 1 defense the past few days, is trying to come back from a knee injury that forced him to miss all but two games last season.

“Although I say I’m 100 [percent], I’m probably 80 percent of what Roach is right now,” Tinoisamoa said. “But I feel good. The knee’s not bothering me too much, so I’m just ready to compete and try to win a job here.”