Jensen: Trust is key to Martz's plan +more...

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BearsNews
Assistant Coach

Trust is key to Martz's plan -- and Cutler's getting it

August 10, 2010
BY SEAN JENSEN sjensen@suntimes.com

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- On Feb. 1, hours after the Bears hired Mike Martz as offensive coordinator, two-time MVP quarterback Kurt Warner gushed about his former coach's newest charge.

Warner raved to me about Jay Cutler's confidence and physical tools, but he wondered about the young quarterback's ability to execute one of the essentials of Martz's high-scoring, high-flying offense.

Jay Cutler did some warming up, but he took a scheduled day off to rest his arm. That gave Caleb Hanie a chance to put in some work with the starters Monday, and he did a solid job of spreading the ball against the No. 1 defense. Hanie's highlight came when he led Johnny Knox on a pass about 20 yards down the middle of the field. Rookie safety Major Wright broke on the ball, but Hanie hit Knox in stride for the completion.

''It was so much about anticipation,'' Warner said. ''When I've watched Jay -- not that it's a bad thing, but he looks like a guy who relies more on his physical gifts, and he watches things develop and buys some time.

''I wonder how that's going to mix. I'm not saying he can't anticipate, but I just haven't seen that when I've watched him.''

It was a point of emphasis, and something I keyed in on during training-camp practices. So far, after more than a week of practices, I've seen examples of Cutler delivering balls to spots and empowering his receivers to run to those spots.

I was somewhat alarmed during the team's first practice on July 30, because it appeared Cutler was reading and reacting and relying on his arm strength, just as he has throughout his young NFL career. But in the days since, Cutler repeatedly has made the sort of throws that Warner did with stunning regularity during the St. Louis Rams' brilliant run that included two trips to the Super Bowl.

Martz's scheme is founded on trust. The quarterback must trust that his receiver will get to the designated spot by a certain time, and the receiver must trust that his quarterback will deliver the ball where it needs to be.

''I just know I've got to get there, no matter how I get there, whether I roll there or I crawl there,'' receiver Devin Aromashodu said. ''I mean, I've just got to get to the spot.''

Added running back Matt Forte, ''It's all about trust.''

The demanding part of the offense, however, is all the variables.

That's why the motions and shifts are such an integral part of the Bears' new offense. One of the goals of the pre-snap movement is to force the defense to show its hand by revealing what coverage it may be playing. But even then, after the ball is snapped, the receivers have to determine what defense actually is being played -- cover-2, cover-3? -- and adjust accordingly.

'There's a place you need to be'

A particular receiver's route may be totally different based on the coverage, Bears receivers coach Darryl Drake said. Then the receiver must get to his spot, regardless of how the defense is accounting for him.

''That's a basis of the offense,'' Drake said. ''There's a place you need to be. There's times you need to be running across the field and you need to be inside the hash, or times you need to be outside the hash. There's times you need to be two yards inside the numbers or two yards outside the numbers -- or times you need to be on the numbers.

''That's what all those little marks on the field are for. There's times you need to split the difference. There's times you need to be four yards from the sideline. I mean, there's just so many different things, and you just have to know that.''

Got all that?

The onus is on the receivers to be consistent in how they run particular routes, not taking different angles or getting to a spot too quickly or too slowly. And most importantly, Forte said, a receiver can't deviate from the plan.

''You can't fool Jay,'' Forte said. ''He has to trust we're going to get [to the spot].''

And ultimately, the execution of the offense is spread to all the skill players.

''It's that accountability that, 'Hey, I'm not going to let that guy down; I'm not going to be in the wrong spot, and the ball gets picked off and everyone looks at him [Cutler] but it's really the receiver,''' tight end Greg Olsen said. ''No one wants to be that guy -- and if everybody has that mentality, you're going to win your fair share.''

But Drake marveled at all that is being heaped on Cutler, who has to determine how each of his receivers -- from running backs to tight ends to receivers -- runs particular routes. In addition, Cutler has to expedite his decision-making process on his drop-back, whether it's three, five or seven steps.

''Some guys are faster than others,'' Drake said. ''Jay does a great job of knowing who his receivers are, and knowing their speeds and where they're supposed to be, and he's tremendous at seeing what's happening in coverage and knowing when to release it.''

Plenty for Cutler, Hanie to learn

Backup quarterback Caleb Hanie said he and Cutler have worked the entire offseason on developing a feel for each receiver, taking into account nuances and quirks.

''They may each take a different approach,'' Hanie said, ''but if they get there, we're happy with them.

''That's what we're doing is developing that trust and timing.''

Cutler has shown mastery in practice, but he'll get his first test Saturday when the Bears make their preseason debut against the San Diego Chargers.

Perhaps Cutler then can show Warner a new facet to his game.

BEARS IN BRIEF: QB Hanie gets good reps with starters

BOURBONNAIS, Ill. -- There has been no shortage of repetitions during training camp for backup quarterback Caleb Hanie.

He has gotten about the same number as starter Jay Cutler. But on Monday, Hanie got a chance to work for an extended period with the starting offense against the starting defense.

''I've just been with the twos,'' Hanie said, ''so it was good to get some reps with the ones against the one defense and feel their speed and see those windows tighten up a little bit.

''It was good.''

Hanie didn't look overwhelmed as he avoided glaring mistakes and appeared to make a lot of the right reads. He stretched the defense deep on a couple of plays but also settled for short passes to tight ends and running backs.

He said he's starting to get acclimated to the offense, coming a long way from the organized team activities.

''At first, it's real uncomfortable,'' Hanie said. ''[Offensive coordinator] Mike [Martz] puts a lot of pressure on you and makes you feel uncomfortable in order for you to progress at the speed he needs you to progress. But this training camp, I feel I've taken some big strides toward that comfort level.

''Today was a good opportunity to build that even more.''

Coach Lovie Smith said it was important to give Cutler a break.

''Jay's thrown the ball quite a bit,'' Smith said. ''On days like today, you really want to see some of the other players. Caleb Hanie got some work with the [starters], and we get to look at Dan LeFevour for a little extended time, which is always good.''

Depth chart released

With their first preseason game Saturday in San Diego, the Bears released their first official depth chart, and there weren't any major surprises.

They didn't list a fullback, instead putting Desmond Clark as the starting H-back. There are co-starters at strong-side linebacker (Nick Roach and Pisa Tinoisamoa) and left defensive end (Mark Anderson and Israel Idonije).

The only mild surprises were Rashied Davis as the backup to Johnny Knox, ahead of Earl Bennett, and Kahlil Bell ahead of Garrett Wolfe for the No. 3 running back spot.

''We've put the depth chart out,'' Smith said. ''It doesn't mean a lot right now. You have to have a starting point. Up until this point, it's just the rotation for our guys.''

Notes

The Bears are finalizing a deal to return to Olivet Nazarene University for the 2011 season, but the team is still in discussions with Lewis University in Romeoville.

• The Bears waived injured rookie defensive end Averell Spicer and added defensive tackle Mick Williams, who starred in college at Pittsburgh.

Williams originally was signed as an undrafted free agent in April by the New York Jets.