Biggs: Bubble could burst for some Bears after tonight

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Tim Shaw has been here before, at the crossroads of the end of preseason and uncertainty.

The last two years, he has been cut from Panthers and Jaguars . One would think someone who set a Bears franchise record with 30 special teams tackles last season would be safe. But when you play the 53-man roster game, he's at the bottom of the depth chart at linebacker as the Bears enter their third exhibition Saturday night against the Cardinals at Soldier Field.

Barring injuries the team knows what five cuts will be made before Tuesday's deadline to reach 75. Same goes for final cuts to 53 that are due next Saturday. This process has been in the works for months.

Register with Chicago Tribune and receive free newsletters and alerts >>

"I worried about it those first couple of years. I tried to play the numbers game. But you know what? I am not in control of stuff like that," Shaw said. "All I need to worry about is what I need to do to get better. Everything else is just politics and it will shake out how it does."

Six linebackers are more prominent on the depth chart, including newcomer Brian Iwuh, who is viewed as a valuable special teams player. Kevin Malast has been getting more work on defense than Shaw. Keeping Shaw likely would mean having seven linebackers unless there is a surprise move in the works.

"Any linebacker we have should be able to and can play special teams," coach Lovie Smith said. "You go with that, and then it's just competing for the other spots. Tim was on our team last year so we do like him, but we like a lot of guys at the position."

Still, 30 special teams tackles is a staggering total and special teams coordinator Dave Toub typically has been given one roster spot for his coverage units. Whether he would pick Shaw is unknown.

Shaw is not alone on the bubble.

Fullback Will Ta'ufo'ou has been on the field for the first play in the two exhibitions. But in 2008 the 49ers only fullback, Moran Norris, was cut before the season because Mike Martz's offense didn't have a need for one. Defensive lineman Henry Melton has been talked up but has shown little.

Defensive lineman Jarron Gilbert and wide receiver Juaquin Iglesias, third-round picks a year ago, have done little to distinguish themselves. In the past, draft pick status protected players like these. But based on the way they're being used Kahlil Bell has edged ahead of former third-rounder Garrett Wolfe for the third running back job.

The issue bubble players face in the third exhibition is starters will play into the third quarter. That means opportunities to make a final push mostly will be limited to Thursday's exhibition finale in Cleveland.

"The guys who have an opportunity to play, we'll let them show us that they belong on the 53 or even the 61-man roster," said Smith, counting the eight-man practice squad.

bmbiggs@tribune.com