Rams OT Pace, Jackson ruled out for Bears game

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

RING4CHI
Hall of Famer

By R.B. FALLSTROM, AP Sports Writer Nov 17, 7:44 pm EST

ST. LOUIS (AP)—After an inspiring start under new coach Jim Haslett, the St. Louis Rams are back to rock bottom. They’re running out of bodies, too.

Offensive tackle Orlando Pace will be sidelined two to four weeks with a knee injury sustained in a 35-16 loss at San Francisco that was not nearly as close as the score indicated. Offensive guard Richie Incognito was scheduled for an MRI exam for a strained rotator cuff. And running back Steven Jackson was already counted out for this week’s game against the Chicago Bears after a second opinion agreed with the Rams’ diagnosis of a strained thigh.

One position that won’t change: quarterback. Haslett decided to stick with Marc Bulger after consulting with staff and reviewing game tape.

Bulger was 33-for-54 for 295 yards and a touchdown with two interceptions, both on throws into tight coverage, against the 49ers on Sunday. He also lost a fumble on a botched snap.

“I think we have to do what we feel is best for the organization,” Haslett said. “If you have somebody that steps in, is he going to step in for the whole time? Or if he goes bad, are you going to replace him and put Marc back in?

“Just talking to all the offensive coaches, they felt that Marc right now still gives us our best chance to win.”

Since injuring his thigh on Oct. 14, Jackson had never been ruled out this early for an upcoming game. He didn’t even make the trip to San Francisco.

“He has a strain with a little bit of blood in it and it’s going to take some time to heal,” Haslett said. “He thought that he should take some time off also, and let it heal and rest.”

Pace went to seven straight Pro Bowls from 1999-2005, but the last three seasons he’s played in only 18 games. Haslett said Pace might be placed on injured reserve, though he wanted to discuss the situation first with the veteran tackle.

Pace was hurt in the first half when 49ers linebacker Takeo Spikes’ leg whipped into his knee. The Rams already have eight players on IR.

It’s a dismal picture for the Rams (2-8), who have been outscored 75-3 in the first half the last two weeks. San Francisco, which entered Sunday’s game with a six-game losing streak, had a 35-3 cushion at the break.

“It’s definitely disappointing when it’s a team that you feel you should beat,” cornerback Ron Bartell said. “You can’t let the game get away from you in the second quarter.”

There was a smattering of good news. Bartell injured his left knee and the Rams initially thought he might be lost for the season, but an MRI exam showed only a soft tissue injury.

Antonio Pittman had 95 yards on 14 carries in place of Jackson and will start again against the Bears. The Rams totaled 126 yards rushing with a 5.5-yard average.

“I thought he did fine,” Haslett said. “It was a shame we got behind and we couldn’t keep running it.”

The potential replacement for Incognito, rookie John Greco, injured his knee in practice last week but is expected to be a full participant this week.

The biggest problem on defense has been poor tackling. Haslett detected a lack of will during the 49ers’ 28-point second quarter.

“Nobody could get anybody down,” Haslett said. “I can’t go out and tackle for them, so we can try to put them in the best position we can.”

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... &type=lgns
"Every team needs badasses." - Dan Hampton
UOK
Site Admin

If we lose to the Rams, then I think we may actually have a shot at getting Lovie fired.
Beardude
Practice Squad

The Rams have as much of a chance at beating the BEARS. As I do of winning the pwerball this weekend. ;)
Rockbear99
Assistant Coach

I hope you will share that money with us beardude. It just might be money in the bank
Beardude
Practice Squad

Rock I wouldn't let a packers blow our ruin your season.

The BEARS have been blown out once the entire season.

That's not enough for me to throw in the towel on the entire season.

Quitters never win and winners never quit.

The BEARS official board has a good story about Lovie and the Bucs coming back from a blow out and making the playoffs.

I'm not even the least bit worried about the BEARS losing Sunday.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:If we lose to the Rams, then I think we may actually have a shot at getting Lovie fired.

You know better then that. Thwy won't fire Lovie if we don't win another game thsi season.

They may force him to make a change at DC, but there is no way they can his ass.
wab
Mod

UrlachersOranjKleats wrote:If we lose to the Rams, then I think we may actually have a shot at getting Lovie fired.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed....
wab
Mod

Beardude wrote:Rock I wouldn't let a packers blow our ruin your season.

The BEARS have been blown out once the entire season.

That's not enough for me to throw in the towel on the entire season.

Quitters never win and winners never quit.

The BEARS official board has a good story about Lovie and the Bucs coming back from a blow out and making the playoffs.

I'm not even the least bit worried about the BEARS losing Sunday.
Ahhhh the navy and orange kool-aide is strong within you.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

wab wrote:
I'm keeping my fingers crossed....

Because a new head coach will stand his ground on the defensive line and sustain blocks on the offensive line or maybe he'll rap up from his safety position.

We’re talking about a guy he just lost his first game IN GREEN BAY.
We’re talking about a guy that truly took us to the Superbowl (unlike the credit Rex used to get)

I don’t know how much say he has in personnel decisions, and he’s got to admit he f*cked up at DC, but I seriously doubt a coaching change would make much of a difference (although it could get much worse) unless you were bringing back ‘Da Coach’.
wab
Mod

I don't REALLY want him fired...but I'm certainly not going to sit back and accept his stubborness to adjust what is clearly not working. Babich...now that's another story.

What do you suggest??? We all just sit around and hug it out? "Awww shucks...we'll get some better players in the offseason. It'll be ok!"

No...9 out of the 11 starters on this defense are locked in with giant contracts. We are stuck with these guys. We are stuck with the Cover Two. And we are stuck sucking until someone somewhere gets their head out of their ass.
wab
Mod

DaDitka wrote:
I don’t know how much say he has in personnel decisions, and he’s got to admit he f*cked up at DC
I guess I would like to know how many passes does he get? He's messed up on one (maybe two) offensive coordinators and one defensive coordinator. His decisions are setting this team back in a lot of ways.

I don't know how much juice he has with personell....but JA is clearly drafting players to fit his defense.
DaDitka
Hall of Famer

You know for everything being so horrible, if it wasn't for a punch from Tillman and a squib kick we'd have seven victories right now.

So before we go reinventing the wheel bear in mind that we are one of the better teams in the league, we’ve finally got a quarterback, are run defense has been great and had a bad week, and our defense giving up lots of yardage is nothing new and we actually did it a bit in 06 when we went to the Superbowl.

F*ck people, if Kyle were healthy two weeks ago we would have handed the only undefeated team in the league their first lose and we’d be over five hundred and in first place by ourselves right now, but f*ck it. Let’s blow the whole damn thing up and start over with another idiot. I mean guys that lead this franchise to the Superbowl are a dime a dozen and we could pick one up off the street corner.
Ormazd
MVP

DaDitka wrote:We’re talking about a guy that truly took us to the Superbowl (unlike the credit Rex used to get)
I didn't see anyone mention Ron Rivera in the thread...?
8-)
gaba
Head Coach

Ormazd wrote:
I didn't see anyone mention Ron Rivera in the thread...?
8-)

Just thought it could use repeating.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!