For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

wab
Mod

Bears' youth catching on

Receivers playing like the big boys

September 22, 2010

BY MIKE MULLIGAN mmulligan@suntimes.com

You can't run a grown-up offense in the NFL without receivers mature beyond just being of legal age.

The Bears' receiving corps might not be fully grown or totally developed, but you have to appreciate the way they are playing like adults.

It helps to have a big-boy offensive coordinator in Mike Martz and a big brother in Jay Cutler. But you have to appreciate what a young group of receivers is doing. Take Devin Hester, a veteran of the group in his fifth NFL season and third as full-time receiver. Everyone is talking about the one-handed circus catch in the end zone against the Cowboys, one of the top plays in the NFL in Week 2.

Equally impressive was a 38-yard reception that showed off his run-after-the-catch ability and had him looking like a return man unleashed. It also set up the game-clinching touchdown. Great call, aided by the fact Hester was -- Glory! Hallelujah! -- operating out of the slot on that play.

''It comes down to the play that is called. Certain formations put me in the slot and others outside,'' Hester said. ''It depends on the call. It can happen a lot. I did that the whole game.''

Martz has used a lot of different players out of the slot, including Rashied Davis, Johnny Knox, Hester and even tight end Greg Olsen. It's a nice variation.

The simple fact is that the Bears are very close to having an excellent combination of receivers. Hester and Knox have untapped potential and can threaten downfield with their speed. Earl Bennett lacks a top gear, but he catches everything thrown to him, is always where he should be and blocks downfield.

Devin Aromashodu has fallen out of favor after starting the season opener against the Lions. He dropped four balls in that game and didn't do a great job blocking, but one source said what really has him in the doghouse is his reaction to a couple of big hits over the middle. It was similar to what the Bears accused Cowboys receivers of doing Sunday: hearing footsteps.

Whatever the reason, Aromashodu seemed almost embarrassed about being benched after the game. He admitted he took a beating against the Lions but practiced during the week and didn't miss any meetings or practice time that might have led to a punishment.

''I'm not mad,'' he said. ''I know we have different game plans for each week. We have different ways of handling each game and each situation, so I just have to get ready for next week.''

The Bears need to rehabilitate Aromashodu no matter the issue. He brings something different, something they don't have without him, a taller physical presence similar to what Cutler enjoyed with Brandon Marshall in Denver. Aromashodu is not Marshall, mind you, but as a taller player he offers a larger throwing window for a quarterback.

Hester is the complete opposite. He's a smaller but quicker player with more of a running back's body than that of a wide receiver. The window is smaller with Hester, and the pass has to be more precise. Not that Hester doesn't have a lot to offer. You suspect he will get the most out of his ability because he is a tireless worker and a very serious professional.

Last year in the preseason, Cutler famously said: ''Devin is more of a go-get-it guy. He is not really a back shoulder or jump-up-and-get-it [guy].''

This offseason, Hester hit the gym and worked on his explosiveness.

''I worked on my vertical,'' he said. ''I went to the gym and played basketball. I was wind-milling, doing 360s, reverse two-handed dunks. I got my vertical back. Every high ball he threw me [in training camp], I went up and got it. So that question is thrown out.''

Martz has done a masterful job of using many players in different ways. Hester can play on the outside and is a threat down the field, even if he dropped a deep pass Sunday. But he's versatile.

The receivers are an inexperienced group that should improve as the season goes on. Knox made the Pro Bowl last year despite starting only two games. And tough love for Aromashodu is fine, provided it's followed by reclamation.