McClure: Bears' Terrence Metcalf back at practice + Hester

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Bears' Terrence Metcalf back at practice

By Vaughn McClure
8:51 PM CST, November 19, 2008

Bears guard Terrence Metcalf returned to practice Wednesday for the first time since serving a four-game suspension for violating the NFL's policy on steroids and related substances.

Metcalf said he used the diet pill Phentermine, one of 11 generic stimulants banned in the policy. Bulls guard Lindsey Hunter was suspended 10 games last season with the Pistons for using the same substance.

"It was something I didn't know about," Metcalf said. "I just decided to go ahead and accept the suspension. I had no clue. And I had not taken it before. But stuff like that happens."

During training camp, Metcalf appeared on his way to starting at left guard before a knee injury held him back. He's uncertain about his role for the rest of this season but isn't concerned being accepted by his teammates following the suspension.

"If I was a jerk around here, it would have been different," he said. "I respect everybody and, hopefully, everybody respects me. I come in here from now on every day focused to do what they ask me to do. And after that, it's out of my hands."

Devin Hester: "It's tough on me"

By Vaughn McClure
8:53 PM CST, November 19, 2008

Devin Hester's inability to excel in the return game this season appears to have taken a toll on the Bear.

"It's tough on me. I don't even like going outside now," Hester said Wednesday. "I just want to find that edge and overcome it."

Hester was asked if he has lost his confidence. Danieal Manning replaced him on kickoffs during the fourth quarter of Sunday's loss to the Packers.

"I haven't lost any confidence," Hester said. "I'm the type when I get my opportunity, I'm going to make the most of it."

Hester entered the season with 12 career returns for touchdowns, including a 108-yard return of a missed field goal and kickoff returns of 96 and 94 yards at St. Louis two seasons ago. His longest return this season is 51 yards.

"It just hasn't gone the way I thought it would," Hester said. "I could say it's my fault, but there are 11 guys on the field. [Still,] I know at the end of the day, I'll get blamed for the return game."
UOK
Site Admin

Bears' Terrence Metcalf waiting for Meal in Breadline for the Recently Unemployed
Fixed
Xee
Site Admin

"It just hasn't gone the way I thought it would," Hester said. "I could say it's my fault, but there are 11 guys on the field. [Still,] I know at the end of the day, I'll get blamed for the return game."
Hmm, bitter much?

I'll concede that he isn't getting the same kind of blocking he had his first two years but he's looked slow since the beginning of the season. That acceleration from a stand-still he used to show seems to be gone now.
Ormazd
MVP

You're right. He's very tentative, and just hasn't shown that explosiveness.
wab
Mod

Xee wrote:
Hmm, bitter much?

I'll concede that he isn't getting the same kind of blocking he had his first two years but he's looked slow since the beginning of the season. That acceleration from a stand-still he used to show seems to be gone now.
No shit...effin crybaby.
G08
Hall of Famer

Nail, head Xee. He doesn't seem to have that burst and he's not seeing his lanes like he did last season. How many times have we seen him run into a pile, or try to spin out and fall on his ass.

He fell back to Earth, and he got his money before it happened. Same with #54. Coincidence? The only one playing worth a shit is Briggs, and I wanted his ass gone :ashamed:
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS
gaba
Head Coach

I still think the blockers are the biggest factor. But then, that's at least partially Devin's fault too. Maybe we could have re-signed a couple of them if he wasn't crying for more money. Sure, you're being asked to do more with less, but you're getting paid a f*&k-load more to do it. Time to step up b*tch.

Same with Url. Your supporting cast sucks because there's just not enough money left over when the triplets (Url, Tommie and Briggs) are done playing the "who gets the biggest paycheck" game. Worse yet, only Briggs is earning any of that jack.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!