For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Metcalf returns from drug suspension
BEARS IN BRIEF

November 20, 2008
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com

The NFL's policy on anabolic steroids and related substances doesn't leave any leeway.

In plain words, it states, ''Players are responsible for what is in their bodies, and a positive test result will not be excused because a player was unaware that he was taking a Prohibited Substance.''

Bears guard Terrence Metcalf accepted as much when he was suspended for four games Oct. 13 after testing positive for Phentermine, an amphetamine Metcalf said he ingested when he took a weight-loss supplement during the summer to help keep him alert as he drove back from Mississippi during the night.

''It was just some [junk] I didn't know about,'' said Metcalf, who returned to practice Wednesday. ''It was just a little ordeal, a little trial I had to go through. They've got a number you should call and ask what's in it, whatever pill you're taking. I neglected that, and I had to take that punishment.''

Of interest is the appeal Minnesota Vikings defensive tackles Kevin Williams and Pat Williams will make today in New York in their efforts to overturn four-game suspensions that greatly jeopardize the team's chances in the NFC North race.

Without the Williamses, few give the Vikings a chance to compete with the Bears and Green Bay Packers. The three teams are tied at 5-5. A decision could be handed down in 10 to 14 days, and with the league unlikely to render a decision midweek, both players probably will be eligible when the Bears travel to Minnesota on Nov. 30.

The New Orleans Saints' Deuce McAllister, Will Smith and Charles Grant already made appeals this week, trying to overturn suspensions that could keep McAllister and Smith out of a Dec. 11 game at Soldier Field. Grant is on injured reserve.

''That's a policy in the league, you're responsible for what's in your body,'' said Metcalf, who lost $211,765 during his suspension. ''So you've got to agree with it. I agree to being here every day and getting paid every day, so it goes along with it.

''I took my punishment, but everyone does their thing differently. That's between them and their God and whatever they decide to do. I'm never against another man. It's just something I had to do.''

At issue for the Vikings and Saints players is the diuretic Bumetanide that allegedly was contained in StarCaps, a supplement the players used.

Catching on

Because the Bears are short on bodies in practice, they signed a fourth wide receiver, Rudy Burgess, to the practice squad. Marty Booker has been held out routinely on Wednesdays, Brandon Lloyd has not been 100 percent and practice-squad player John Broussard has a sprained ankle. Brandon Rideau and Mike Hass are also on the practice squad.

The Bears had hoped to bring back seventh-round pick Chester Adams last week, but apparently efforts to lure the guard were unsuccessful. Adams received an injury settlement Aug. 30 after spraining a medial collateral ligament in the final preseason game at Cleveland.

Health beat

Ankle injuries limited defensive tackle Marcus Harrison and linebacker Nick Roach in practice, and linebacker Jamar Williams (neck) also was limited. Defensive tackle Tommie Harris and center Olin Kreutz were rested, and Booker (knee) sat out.

Offensive tackle Fred Miller (shoulder) and linebacker Darrell McClover (hamstring) might be the only players not available Sunday.