McClure: Seeking a special-teams spark, Bears to sub Manning

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Seeking a special-teams spark, Bears to sub Manning for Hester

By Vaughn McClure
9:21 PM CST, November 20, 2008

Expect Danieal Manning to be the No. 1 guy on kick returns Sunday when the Bears face the Rams, although nothing is etched in stone.

He's not Devin Hester. Doesn't claim to be, doesn't even want to label himself in the same category as his star teammate.

But Manning is prepared to do whatever it takes to give the Bears a boost in the return game with Hester mired in a funk.

"Devin has set the bar so high that people expect every time he touches the ball, he needs to score … every time," Manning said. "Sometimes I expect him to score, and I'm his teammate.

"If he's tired or down or anything like that, I'm the next guy in line. And I'm just trying to do my job. I try not to let my team miss a beat."

Manning replaced Hester in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game against the Packers and provided an immediate spark on a listless day. He continued to work as the top kickoff returner as the Bears began practice this week.

"They're not asking me to return and score every time I touch the ball," Manning said. "It's all about field position, ball security. And that's what I do."

Hester, who has five career kickoff returns for touchdowns (including Super Bowl XLI), has yet to return a kick or punt for a score this season. The pressure of having to produce after being rewarded with a four-year, $40 million contract extension ($15 million guaranteed) evidently has taken a toll. The burden of trying to develop into a top receiver likely has done the same.

So in steps Manning, whose 26.5-yard average per kick return is almost 5 yards better than Hester's (21.8). Manning averaged 44.2 yards during the preseason including a 75-yarder against San Francisco. His career average is 24.9.

"When you have a guy like [Manning] sitting on the bench, you have to use him," special-teams coordinator Dave Toub said. "It gives Devin a chance to maybe recover. He's playing a lot of offense. He's doing the punt returns. It's a luxury to have someone else to go to."

Manning can relate to the frustration Hester voiced this week. Just a few weeks ago, Manning was unsure of his role on defense coming off a hamstring injury. He wanted to return to his nickel back position against Tennessee but instead saw action just on special teams as Corey Graham took over the nickel spot. Leading into the game, Manning worked at safety.

Manning, confused and saddened, asked to meet with coach Lovie Smith.

"It was just a matter of I wanted to come back, but I had to take into account that I was still injured," Manning said. "They were looking out for what was best for me."

Manning reassumed his duties at nickel back last weekend. Now he will be asked to jump-start a return game that has regressed since last season.

It won't be easy.

The Rams might be one of the worst teams in the league, but they rank third in the NFL in kickoff coverage, thanks to strong-legged kicker Josh Brown and a sound coverage unit.

"Their coverage is keeping teams from getting big returns," Toub said. "Basically, they don't let anybody out past the 24-yard line."

The speedy Manning's aim is simply to fulfill his duties.

"Somebody said that I run angry," he said. "I don't know about that, but I'm just a north-and-south guy. I just hit it straight up.

"I really don't have a lot of things to think about. I just catch it and go. I have 10 guys in front of me playing hard and getting paid to do this. All I have to do it catch the ball and get us field position. That's it."

vxmcclure@tribune.com
wab
Mod

I really don't have a lot of things to think about. I just catch it and go.
Danny-boy....that is what used to make Hester great.
G08
Hall of Famer

He runs hard, but it's almost laughable how at times he hits full speed and then WHAP hits into a blockers back.
9 PLAYOFF APPEARANCES IN THE PAST 35 SEASONS

"Wallet white, phone is pink, case is clear, nails are clear, lips are pink – your girl LOVE 'em!"
Ormazd
MVP

PTI was giving Lovie a bunch of crap about transforming Devin Hester from a great returner into a mediocre receiver.
Halas85
Assistant Coach

Subbing for Hester on any returns in order to "create a spark" is one of the dumbest things I've heard this season. Hester's in a slump, no doubt, completely underachieving this season. But the guy's no fluke ... he just came off back-to-back record-breaking seasons when he propelled himself toward the top of the NFL's list of all-time great returners. And we're going to sub for him? What happened to working your way out of a slump? I guarantee if Hester breaks one return ... just one ... we've got the old Hester back. And we're going to take away his opportunities? Damn...
“Some say the 46 is just an eight-man front. That’s like saying Marilyn Monroe is just a girl.” -- Buddy Ryan
“It's a sick world, and I'm a happy guy.” -- Uncle Lar
wab
Mod

There are times when a slumping player needs to take a seat... And in this case Heater is killing us with field position, so it's also best for ther team.
gaba
Head Coach

I think that not only was it a good idea, but they should have stuck with it. Manning looked much better on returns and Hester did okay on offense today.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
Ormazd
MVP

Nothing would make me happier than to see Devin regain his mojo, but I just don't see it.
gaba
Head Coach

I don't think it's gone for good, it's just going to take more than the team's current leadership to bring it out of him.
CAPTAIN MEATBALL!
wab
Mod

If he can make strides on offense like he did today I'm fine with his limited special teams contributions.
IE
Hall of Famer

I think they should consider alternating them to create a little friendly competition.

I agree, wab - using Hester credibly in the running game is overdue.
2023 Chicago Bears... emerging from a long hibernation, and hungry!
Xee
Site Admin

IE wrote:I think they should consider alternating them to create a little friendly competition.
I think Hester is past the point of being competitive. In the comments after the game, he said that not returning kick-offs helped keep his legs "fresher" and allowed him to play better as a WR. This does not sound like a guy who's pissed that he's been relegated to returning punts only. It sounds like a guy who happy he has an excuse not to return kick-offs any more since he knows he's been unimpressive in that department as of late.
IE
Hall of Famer

Xee wrote:
I think Hester is past the point of being competitive. In the comments after the game, he said that not returning kick-offs helped keep his legs "fresher" and allowed him to play better as a WR. This does not sound like a guy who's pissed that he's been relegated to returning punts only. It sounds like a guy who happy he has an excuse not to return kick-offs any more since he knows he's been unimpressive in that department as of late.
Didn't hear that - thanks. Makes me feel better, because most of all I just want him to be positive about whatever he's doing. It actually might be better for the Bears overall, since Manning is quite good & Hester should be in for as many offensive plays as possible.
Pagan
MVP

If Hester never returns another punt or kickoff for a TD it will be a shame, but I see this situation like prohibition. Once Hester was given a chance to become a regular starter theres no going back. An argument can definately be made that #23 should've never been given the opportunity to experiement with the offense or defense and left to do what he does best- return kicks.

But all of that no longer matters- he's been used in other areas and prefers being a starting WR, theres really no going back. One of the reasons why Hester is unproductive as a return man is because he now knows that being a successful WR is where his bread is buttered. The other is he doesnt have the same level of talent blocking for him- but I'm not sure returning kicks will ever be a passion for Hester again.

The Bears better hope that Hester continues to improve as a WR or they will have traded the best return man the NFL has ever seen for an average NFL WR.

pagan
IE
Hall of Famer

Plus, since he's taking snaps at RB he can keep #23 ... ;)