LeGere: Hester agonizes over kick-return failures

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Hester agonizes over kick-return failures

By Bob LeGere | Daily Herald Columnist
Published: 11/20/2008 12:02 AM

Devin Hester's production in the kick-return game this season pales in comparison to the impossibly high standards he set in his first two years in the league, and the plummeting production clearly is bothering him.

"It's tough," he said. "Not only (on) myself, but to the fans, and to the team. I set a high standard not only for myself but for outsiders that I'm that guy that's going to take five or six returns to the house, and I haven't taken (any). I don't even like going outside now. The return game was basically my success in football, and now that it's not there, it's tough (not) being that player that everybody knew about it."

Hester's combined total of 5 return touchdowns (2 kickoffs, 3 punts) as a rookie in 2006 established an NFL record, which he eclipsed last season with 6 (2 kickoffs, 4 punts). But he hasn't come close to going the distance even once this year, his first as a starting wide receiver.

Part of the problem, according to Hester, is that he hasn't been given enough opportunities by his blockers on the return teams this season.

I could sit here and say it's my fault, but there are 11 guys out there on the field," Hester said. "I'm not the only one out there. I know at the end of the day I get blamed for the return game. If that's what they want to say because I've got the ball in my hand, but there are 11 guys on the field."

Offensive coordinator Ron Turner said Hester's struggles in the return game have not affected his play on offense, although he had just 1 catch for 7 yards last week.

"He has a lot of pride, as much as anyone I've ever been around, and when he's not successful it bothers him," Turner said. "But he's also very strong mentally, and he'll come back and play the right way. It hasn't affected him as far as dropping passes or mental errors or things like that, where you say, 'Well, something's on his mind.' I haven't seen that at all."

Getting better: Quarterback Kyle Orton won't ever be confused with Donovan McNabb when it comes to running ability, but he should be much more mobile Sunday than he was against the Packers in his first game back since suffering a sprained right ankle Nov. 2.

Offensive coordinator Ron Turner said there were some plays last week where Orton's still-healing ankle may have affected him.

"Especially early, he was kind of feeling his way on it," Turner said. "Once he got hit a couple times, he realized, 'Hey, I'm OK.' It was hard because he didn't practice a whole lot, and he wasn't 100 percent. But that's not an excuse. He did some good things, and we as an offense and all of us should have, could have, done better."

If Wednesday's practice on artificial turf inside the Walter Payton Center was any indication, Orton will be better this week.

"He looked really good (Wednesday)," Turner said. "He looked fine; way, way, way ahead of where he was at any time last week."

Injury update: Wide receiver Marty Booker (ankle), defensive tackle Tommie Harris (rest), center Olin Kreutz (rest), linebacker Darrell McClover (hamstring) and offensive tackle Fred Miller (shoulder) did not practice Wednesday. Coach Lovie Smith hopes to have all of them except McClover back today.

Defensive tackle Marcus Harrison (ankle) and linebackers Nick Roach (ankle) and Jamar Williams (neck) were limited at practice.
Boris13c
Hall of Famer

Part of the problem, according to Hester, is that he hasn't been given enough opportunities by his blockers on the return teams this season.

"I could sit here and say it's my fault, but there are 11 guys out there on the field," Hester said. "I'm not the only one out there. I know at the end of the day I get blamed for the return game. If that's what they want to say because I've got the ball in my hand, but there are 11 guys on the field."
yeah, go f*ck yourself you skirt wearing candy assed nimrod

last year when you were demanding all that cash, you claimed it WAS all about you and your special abilities ... now that you have stunk up the place, it is because of everyone else?

f*ck you, f*ck your family, and may the IRS find something you did very wrong and take a big chunk of your ill gotten pay you jackass
"Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things."
George Carlin
Xee
Site Admin

Boris13c wrote:yeah, go f*ck yourself you skirt wearing candy assed nimrod
lol That gave me a chuckle. Thanks.