Mitchell: Offensive formula still doesn't add up

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

The Bears' offensive formula — 40 passes vs. 16 rushes — did not work again on Sunday.

Jay Cutler was sacked four times, tossed four interceptions and lost a fumble at the goal line in the frustrating 17-14 loss to the Redskins. His passer rating was 54.3 after completing 26 of 40 passes for 281 yards and one touchdown.

"I like our game plan," coach Lovie Smith said in defense of the plays called by offensive coordinator Mike Martz. "You can't turn the ball over too many times."

Martz and Smith had promised a more balanced attack after the Seahawks plan (47 passes and 12 rushes) blew up in the Bears' face the previous week.

"When I talk about balance, I'm not talking about 50-50 or anything like that," Smith said. "I'm just talking about keeping (the defense) off balance a little bit with the run, taking what they're giving us. We did that for the most part today."

DeAngelo Hall had all four interceptions against Cutler, including one returned 92 yards for a touchdown.

When it came to the running game, the Bears gained 66 yards on the 16 attempts for a 4.1-yard average. Matt Forte had 41 yards on 10 carries. Chester Taylor picked up 20 yards on three attempts (6.7 average).

"We balanced it out pretty good. I mean, if it wasn't for the turnovers I am pretty sure we would have won this game," said Taylor, who also caught the two passes thrown his way.

Veteran Bears center Olin Kreutz said the ever-changing offensive line needs to work together and communicate more "as a team" to improve.

On the sideline, when the offensive linemen gathered during the game, Kreutz said there was "a lot of swearing, but mostly trying to figure what the guy next to us was doing." Edwin Williams, who started at right guard, went down with a back injury during the first drive of the game and Lance Louis stepped in.

The Bears' offense picked up momentum early in the second half. Cutler completed passes of 16 and 48 yards to Earl Bennett, the latter reception setting up the Bears at the Redskins' 1. The Bears challenged the spot, arguing that Bennett had crossed the goal line. But the challenge was rejected, costing the Bears a timeout.

Cutler's quarterback sneak attempt was met by Albert Haynesworth, who forced a fumble that Washington's London Fletcher recovered.

"Very frustrating," Kreutz said. "Gotta get Haynesworth blocked down there. He jumped over the pile and made a hell of a play. There's a reason they give him $20 million a year, and he showed you right there."

Cutler also credited Haynesworth for the huge defensive play.

"I extended the ball forward, then Albert was in there and pushed me back," Cutler said. "I started to go backwards. The middle linebacker (Fletcher) came flying over the top and knocked it out."

Bears players refused to second-guess the offensive play-calling.

"I know there is a rhyme and reason for everything we do," Kreutz said. "It's not my job. I play center; I just try to execute what's called. Play-calling had nothing to do with us winning and losing. It was just our execution, or our (failure) to block people or our (failure) to hold onto the ball. It's stuff like that loses you games."