Biggs: Matt Forte leads Bears renewed rushing attack

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

UOK
Site Admin

Chris Johnson and Adrian Peterson led the NFL in stuffs last season, defined as runs for negative yardage.

Yet, the running backs were considered the best in the league. That's because what separates All-Pro backs from the pack are the long runs they break off with routine.

That's what has made a difference for Matt Forte. While no one is punching his ticket to the Pro Bowl, he is quietly performing better than he did in his rookie season when he set a Bears franchise record with 1,238 yards.

He's on pace for 997 yards and he's averaging 4.2 yards per carry, noteworthy because he didn't crack 4.0, a base measurement for backs, in his first two seasons.

Since the Bears balanced their playbook during the off week, they've put a priority on running. That, combined with an offensive line that's now been together for five consecutive games, has brought modest improvement in the ground attack.

"My rookie year I was at 3.9 (yards per carry), almost four," Forte said. "It was pretty frustrating. I think that was because I stayed in almost the whole game. I really didn't have anybody (who) would come in and take any share of the load. Chester (Taylor) and I go back and forth and just kind of get each other some rest. That is helping a lot."

The key has been more long runs. Forte has 18 runs of 10 yards or more and five of 20-plus. In comparison, he had only three runs of at least 20 yards last season in 258 carries — 81 more rushes than he currently has. In 2008, Forte had 24 runs of 10 yards or more and eight of 20 or more. But he carried the ball 316 times that season and didn't have enough explosive plays to push his average above 4.0.

His speed training this offseason has been well documented. The Bears also have said they're not giving him as many reps in practice with an eye toward keeping him fresh. He has also improved as a receiver. Forte is averaging 10.8 yards per reception, nearly three yards better than his average the first two seasons.

He's an all-around fit for offensive coordinator Mike Martz's scheme. He's running more routes, as opposed to being a checkdown target, and the introduction of more zone blocking to the running game has helped.

It was a zone play that he cut back inside and ran 61 yards for against the Eagles on Nov. 28.

"There is no doubt as a whole we are all getting better and it's showing in the yards per carry," running backs coach Tim Spencer said. "He's hitting those long ones. We have a little bit of everything (in the playbook). He's just a good zone runner. He can read things and he's got good body control."

As Forte explained, the offense isn't just designed for big passing plays, it's supposed to create chunks of yardage on the ground, which is a departure from the 3.6 yards the Bears turned out running the ball with Forte last season.

With 44 consecutive starts, he's got the longest current streak for a running back in the league, an impressive feat for a position that takes such a pounding. The last time he had to sit out was during his junior season at Tulane when he missed four games with a knee injury.

"It was frustrating and I don't want to have that feeling," Forte said. "That's something I take pride in."

Finishing the season above 4.0 yards per carry would give him something else to take pride in. The path to discovering the running game took the Bears on a lot of twists and turns, but they've gotten there and Forte looks to be at his best.

"You think you've got one thing and you don't and you find out what you've got," Spencer said. "And you just work with it. Matt's been real patient and the defense has been doing a great job."