Biggs: BEARS IN BRIEF: Vasher optimistic about wrist injury

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

BEARS IN BRIEF: Vasher optimistic about wrist injury

November 24, 2008
BY BRAD BIGGS bbiggs@suntimes.com

ST. LOUIS -- Nathan Vasher said initial X-rays looked good after he left the field at the start of the fourth quarter with an injury to his right wrist that could be related to the surgery he had in early October.

The cornerback was one of three Bears who left and did not return. Safety Mike Brown suffered a lower leg injury and tight end Desmond Clark a right knee injury.

Vasher was injured when he collided with defensive end Mark Anderson and running back Kenneth Darby at the end of a three-yard run.

''It's similar,'' Vasher said. ''So we'll just go get some [more tests] and see what the severity is. It looks good for me. It doesn't hurt as bad as the first time I did it.''

Vasher originally was injured Sept. 28 against Philadelphia and was expected to miss only one week after undergoing surgery to insert a pin. One turned into three, and he also had the benefit of the bye week before returning Nov. 2 vs. Detroit.

Clark said he was ''fine,'' but there's no telling what his situation is. He has started 62 consecutive games, the longest active streak in the league among tight ends.

Brown, who appeared to come up gimpy after the Rams' Donnie Avery broke up a pass he would have intercepted, injured his right calf in the first half against Detroit three weeks ago but returned to play the next week. He has started 11 games after making just 21 starts over the last four seasons. Craig Steltz replaced him.

Tricky business

They were not quizzed on whether they know games can end in ties, but the Bears did say they knew defensive pass interference cannot be called on the end man on the line of scrimmage when the offense lines up in punt formation. Corey Graham broke up punter Donnie Jones' pass intended for Eric Bassey when he tangled with Bassey before the ball got there.

''It was not deemed to be holding,'' referee Terry McAuley said in a pool report. ''It was just a low hit.''

Graham said his plan was to tackle Bassey.

''Coach [Dave] Toub does a great job of letting us know what you can do and what you can't do,'' Graham said. ''In that situation, you just have to get the guy down.''

The fake was called by ex-Bear Todd Johnson, the Rams' up man. Coach Jim Haslett explained afterward that the play was supposed to be an option only if fewer than 10 yards were needed to gain a first down. It was fourth-and-15.

''It was a dumb play for the upback to call,'' Haslett said.

Happy returns

The Rams kicked off only twice, so Danieal Manning got only two returns, busting a 50-yarder to start the game and getting 26 on his next.

''Just get it and go,'' Manning said. ''Those guys up front are doing the big work. I put it on them. I catch the ball and run hard, and if they have lanes, I take a lane.''

Extra points

Running back Kevin Jones was inactive for the second consecutive week as the Bears looked to add help on special teams. Adrian Peterson had 35 yards as Matt Forte's backup.

• • Chris Williams played left tackle for the final three plays with Dan Buenning spelling Olin Kreutz at center.

• • Kyle Orton extended his streak of pass attempts without an interception to a team-record 185. The previous mark was 174 by Erik Kramer in 1995.

• • Wide receiver Brandon Rideau, promoted from the practice squad Saturday, was active instead of third-round pick Earl Bennett.