Biggs: Forte could be in line for pay boost

For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

BearsNews
Assistant Coach

Forte could be in line for pay boost
Bears may explore contract extension for running back who played well above pay level this season

By Brad Biggs, Tribune Reporter
7:33 p.m. CST, January 26, 2011

It was somewhat surprising that Matt Forte was named to USA Today's All-Joe Team, a collection of unsung stars who have quality seasons.

That's because Forte has been anything but underappreciated by the Bears. After the dysfunction was taken out of the offense during the off week, Forte excelled. He had 961 yards from scrimmage in the final nine weeks, fifth in the NFL. Forte finished with an average of 4.5 yards per carry, the franchise's best from a back with 200 carries since Neal Anderson in 1989. He joined Walter Payton as the only back in Bears' history to have multiple seasons with 1,600 yards from scrimmage.

One issue certain to come up this offseason is whether Forte will remain unsung when it comes to his contract. He's entering the final year of his rookie deal and could be a priority for the Bears to extend. They almost have to after Forte earned $470,000 in 2010 and Chester Taylor collected $7 million of the $12.5 million in his four-year contract. Taylor will earn $1.25 million in 2011 while Forte, who earned a one-time incentive of $528,167 after his 2008 rookie season, is on the books for only $555,000.

Also named to the All-Joe team were free safety Chris Harris, defensive end Israel Idonije and special teams ace-cornerback Corey Graham. Harris is due a $500,000 roster bonus March 5. He's also entering the final year of his contract and that could lead the Bears to extend him. Graham is a free agent in line for a pay day.

Union answers: General manager Jerry Angelo was defending quarterback Jay Cutler from the avalanche of criticism he has received from current players when he lashed out Monday and said, "I think it's crap, I thought they were a union. If that's the way they unionize themselves, they have bigger issues than the one that they have with the owners."

NFLPA President Kevin Mawae took exception to Angelo's remarks involving the union Wednesday on WMVP-AM 1000.

"It does no good for me to respond to that," Mawae said. "There are many things I can say to the management, the general managers and the owners of the world about what they're doing in their own house. The players are more united now than ever and I think Jerry Angelo will find that out soon enough."

Familiar hire: Hours after Chris Tabor left to become the special teams coordinator of the Browns, Kevin O'Dea was hired to replace him. He served in the same role in 2006 and 2007 before becoming the special teams coordinator for the Jets. He worked for the Hartford Colonials in the UFL last fall.

"I just got off the phone with (coach Lovie Smith) and he made the comment, 'Kevin, you're not coming back, you're coming home,' " O'Dea said. "Any time someone makes a comment like that to you, that's pretty special."