For all things Chicago Bears

Moderator: wab

Xee
Site Admin

Bears' Tommie Harris needs consistency
Harris' re-emergence sends ominous message to future foes

David Haugh | On the Bears
November 25, 2008

When Tommie Harris wants to, he still can look downright menacing.

This isn't referring to the get-away-from-my-stuff glare Harris shot me Sunday in the visitors' locker room at the Edward Jones Dome either.

Instead, it has to do with the way Harris made an announcement in the only forum worth paying attention to anymore when it comes to the enigmatic Bears defensive tackle. It came in the opposing team's backfield and could be interpreted as Harris saying, "I'm back."

Rest assured they heard it in Minneapolis and Green Bay, among other places.

The Rams struggled mightily moving Harris out of holes on running plays or away from the quarterback on passes. Forget that the offensive linemen trying to do so looked more Ewe than Ram. Harris showed a burst that Pro Bowl-caliber blockers would have had a hard time handling. A familiar burst.

It easily was his most active game of the season. Harris had two tackles, two sacks and two quarterback hurries. After the second sack, Brian Urlacher ran over to congratulate Harris like a kid excited about the possible return of the No. 91 so many people had missed.

Urlacher's gesture stood out because it reinforced an idea well known to everybody in the locker room or press box. We all know when Harris plays with the intensity and force evident against the Rams, the defense indeed can resemble the one that spoiled Bears fans, players and coaches a couple of seasons ago.

Getting Harris to maintain that level has been one of the most maddening aspects of the season. But after seeing Sunday's effort, there's no doubt the biggest key to the defense over the final five games fits into Harris' ignition.

That's really the only thing we learned in the 24-point victory, and we already knew it. Once Harris forced St. Louis to open a gateway to its West Coast offense, everyone else followed. When Harris can dominate enough to require extra attention from opposing offensive linemen, every member of the front four will benefit — nobody more than left end Adewale Ogunleye.

It's no accident that Ogunleye matched Harris' two sacks and also looked more like the player the Bears need him to be. In the 24 regular-season games in which Ogunleye has had a sack since he started playing alongside Harris in 2004, both players have had sacks in seven of them. In four of those games, Ogunleye has had more than one sack.

The running back or tight end assigned to provide extra pass protection cannot help on Ogunleye on the outside if he's trying to help on Harris on the inside. That can leave a one-on-one matchup with the right tackle Ogunleye or any self-respecting veteran pass-rusher craves.

"I've watched Tommie the last couple of games, and he's been a different person," Ogunleye said. "Even if he's not getting sacks, he's causing a lot of havoc in the back end. Now the focus is going to move back to Tommie — you know, rightfully so — and me and Alex [Brown] and the guys on the edge should have a lot more fun."

The Bears will need consistent pressure against the Vikings, who scored 41 points against them last month, as well as against short-passing teams such as the Saints and Packers. Nothing gives the Bears more reason to think they can get it than the re-emergence of Harris.

His knees still hurt more than he or the team will acknowledge, but Harris can't change that or his disappointing first part of the season. Harris still can change the course of this new season as much as if not more than any Bears defensive player.

Until Sunday, Harris had made more noise with his words than his actions, and that might be why he decided to lay low for a while. As colorful as his comments can be, Harris actually has the right idea by choosing to shut up and play.

The last time he opened his mouth, he stuck his size 14s right in it by lecturing fans about the need for their unconditional support. Harris often makes compelling, thoughtful arguments when reacting to media coverage, but that was an unfortunate and ridiculous rant.

Harris is always welcome to clarify what he really meant for the many fans who objected to his recent advice. But the strong, silent thing is a fine tack for Harris to take as long as the strong part doesn't change.

If it doesn't, and Harris once again resembles the player worthy of the $40 million contract extension that raised expectations of his performance, he should resume saying whatever he wants. The NFL needs more Tommie Harrises. The Bears do, too, but will settle for the real one to finally live up to his nickname, "The Real Deal."

"I just work here," is all Harris said before turning his back to me at his locker.

His work will continue to make progress as long as Harris realizes it's never done.

dhaugh@tribune.com